There are 269 users in the forums

If we can only keep 2...

Shop Find 49ers gear online

If we can only keep 2...

Originally posted by oldman9er:
Transparent OP all the way, lol!!!

answer = Alex and Carlos

How so?

They are our 3 best FAs... Oh, wait. You must think Brooks is better than Goldson, right?
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
wow, poeple would rather keep a DB and S over a QB that led them to a 13-3 record?

Were the CB and FS not vital parts of a defense that led us to a 13-3 record?
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
We will keep all 3. Alex Smith + Carlos Rogers + Dashon Goldson.....

That would be awesome; but the question was only for 2. Saying we'll keep all 3 is the easy way out cause it's what we all want.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I think we can bring back all three. Alex will get a 3 year deal 8-10 million per season. Rogers will get 4 year deal at about 7-8 million and Goldson will be franchised.

See everything will workout and now lets focus on getting some WRs.
I say Alex and Dashon, Carlos is getting up there in age. And i am hoping Culliver will turn into an above average CB. I think tarrel brown is on his way to becoming a shutdown corner. He has progressed so much this year, and always had the tools to put it all together. The second half of the season he was owning his side of the field pretty well, considering teams were passing 50-60 times on us.

Obviously i would want to keep all three, but im going with Dashon and Alex. I think Goldson can still get better, and with Rogers i feel like he is really good, but he may have hit his ceiling this year.
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
We will keep all 3. Alex Smith + Carlos Rogers + Dashon Goldson.....

That would be awesome; but the question was only for 2. Saying we'll keep all 3 is the easy way out cause it's what we all want.

If it must be 2 it will be Alex Smith plus Dashon Goldson. Goldson will get the franchise tag. No way Alex will leave Harbaugh after 7 coordinators in 7 years. He finally has a HC he trusts in and believes in. Rogers salary # will be really high for a guy who will be 31. CB salaries are super high in FA. We may have to get rid of him if he doesn't accept something reasonable.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:
Alex Smith and Goldson. Carlos Rogers had a great year and he's a good player, but we have people in the wings who can play.

Kaepernick is not ready and the drop off in quality between Alex/Kap versus Brown+Rogers/Brown+Culliver isn't as big.

Disagree. We have people waiting in the wings, but the drop off would be a bit much at CB. If we went with Smith and Rogers, we have Culliver who was All-SEC as a Safety. Beside, Safeties are easier to find than a good CB.

So with that said, Smith and Rogers.
Alex and Rogers
If we can only keep two I'd say Dashon Goldson and Alex Smith.
i would take alex and carlos back. alex WILL be better next year in same offense, bet on it! and carlos what can i say.... i got a man crush on that guy, he is the real deal at corner.carlos will be good for another 3 years IMO.

Closest poll ever !
Being 30 years old, I'm not sure if Rogers can maintain his success. Therefore, I lean towards Smith and Goldson
Alex and Carlos

Per Walterfootball.com

"There are a lot of posts about Dashon Goldson in the comment board below, so I'll address this ranking. Goldson stinks in coverage. That's why I initially put him at 1.5 stars, but you could argue two or 2.5 because of his ability against the run. Of the safeties who have played 800-plus snaps this year, he's surrendered the eighth-highest completion percentage. He allowed four touchdowns this year (tied for fifth among safeties) despite the amazing front seven he has in front of him. He's tied for sixth in penalties among safeties this year. If he played behind a mediocre front seven, he would be exposed. Those who just look at stats and Pro Bowl voting might think Goldson is great, but he's just a backup at best."
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Alex and Rogers

But honestly, I believe all three will be starting game 1 next year.

Absolutely.
It all depends on value. I'd love to re-sign Smitty, but not for $10M+ per. Same with Rogers. I'd give him like 2 yrs/$20M or 5 yrs/$35M but I wouldn't throw HUGE money at a corner that will be 31 (corners age FAST). Goldson is the only one that deserves big bucks and big years since he is young. But we will likely franchise him.
Share 49ersWebzone