LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 208 users in the forums

Crabtree: more overrated than lazy, or more lazy than overrated?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Crabtree: more overrated than lazy, or more lazy than overrated?

Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by davidboutte:
Crabtree would be a star on NY, Tenn, or Philly. They have QB's

Not to nit pick but Hasselbeck is the equivalent of Smith.....

Crabtree is an extremely good #2. The fact that he is only 6'0 and not actually fast but just shifty keeps him out of the elite #1 status. We just need to stop debating this and realize that he is going to be a solid guy for however long he is with us but we need a bigger and fast target to take the pressure of Crabtree.

With Vernon and Crabtree on the field at the same time a team just bracket covers VD and can still double crabtree with a CB and another S or LB. Adding a legitimate #1 will force teams to leave someone in single coverage that actually do something because right now the trifecta of Morgan, Ginn, Williams isn't not capable of blowing open a game with their play.

i agree. crabtree is a VERY good #2. with him and vd being the only legit passing threats, its easy to take crabs out of the game. VD has elite speed especially at the te spot. thats why he can make plays against playoff caliber defenses thzt game plan against him. a legit #1 wr will create some breathing room for him as well as VD. it will also open up things a little more in an already potent rushing attack. missing traing camps and preseason games have not helped him either. he's not that great of a talent that he can just lace em' up and play. he needs to be healthy and put in the work to get the chemistry w/alex smith that VD and josh morgan seem to have. crabs has shown that he can make plays in the passing game, even big plays. he needs to be active in ota's as well as preseason games. i think he breaks through next season. with the addition of more wr threats as well as another offseason of preparation, i think this offense has a chance to be explosive. if that happens, we may have another 49er dynasty on our hands with such a dominant defense to compliment it
Originally posted by BrianGO:
I think the polls are fixed. He either sucks, or he's lazy.

How about the, "There is no problem with Michael Crabtree" option?

Agree
Originally posted by krizay:
I for one just think he doesn't get the chances to make plays. I'm on the east coast so don't see all the games but from games I watch he gets open. Smith misses him alot. Too high! Too wide! Too long! Too short! Just think they need to get on the same page this offseason. Assuming he can stay healthy and work with Smith.

With all that said, the Saints game Smith was hitting him and he was dropping them. I don't think he's lazy or overhyped, just.... not there yet, I guess.

Alex has given Crabtree plenty of opportunities to make plays, but MC has dropped the ball - literally - far too much that it seems AS doesn't have complete trust in him as a receiver. Go back to last year, and MC was responsible for quite a few of Alex Smith's interceptions, either by running the wrong routes or not catching the ball properly.

The reason Jerry Rice was so good with Joe Montana and Steve Young is because he worked his butt off - during the off season, at OTAs, training camp, pre-season, and during the regular season and playoffs. Crabtree has not shown ANY of that type of dedication. Instead, he held out for a contract he thought he deserved, when he hadn't played a single down of NFL football. He thought he should've been paid as the #6 pick instead of the #10 just because a majority of mock drafts had him being the first WR taken. Gimme a break, man! He has missed training camp EVERY year he's been in the league. How does he expect to be in sync with his quarterback doing that?

Crabtree has the ability to be a great WR, but he just doesn't have the desire or dedication - at least not to this point in his career - and the fact that he's throwing his teammates under the bus and complaining about not getting the ball shows utter selfishness. I can understand a player being frustrated at not having opportunities to make plays, but when you are given those opportunities and you blow them, you have only yourself to blame.

I honestly believe the 49ers would be fine without Crabtree on their team, given his current level of play. There will be many receivers available once Free Agency begins, and most, if not all, would be an upgrade over Crabtree. If the 49ers could get a 2nd-round or even a 3rd-round pick in exchange for Crabtree, I think they should make the trade. So far, I am not impressed at all by Mr. Crabtree. He wants everyone to look at him as Jerry Rice or some other superstar receiver, and he's not done anything to deserve it.

Dan
49ers Fan in NC
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by mike:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
This idea of Crabtree getting open deep "consistently" is laughable. Crabtree is nowhere near a big play threat or a burner.
Was he ever in college? I just don't understand how his stock got so high since he's not big and he didn't even run in the combine.

Because he put up big #'s. But it was a gimmick offense and not the best conference. And we were WR desperate. IMO #10 in THE SECOND ROUND would have made more sense.

If I recall correctly, McCloughan was completely enamored with Crabtree. He was giddy that MC was available at #10. We would've been better off picking Michael Oher instead.

Dan
49ers Fan in NC
Originally posted by dankmeistr:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by mike:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
This idea of Crabtree getting open deep "consistently" is laughable. Crabtree is nowhere near a big play threat or a burner.
Was he ever in college? I just don't understand how his stock got so high since he's not big and he didn't even run in the combine.

Because he put up big #'s. But it was a gimmick offense and not the best conference. And we were WR desperate. IMO #10 in THE SECOND ROUND would have made more sense.

If I recall correctly, McCloughan was completely enamored with Crabtree. He was giddy that MC was available at #10. We would've been better off picking Michael Oher instead.

Dan
49ers Fan in NC

Comon people, we were ALL giddy that the raiders passed him up and he "fell" to the niners. At the time it was considered a no brainer, as in niners fans (many of whom now claim otherwise) would be at the santa clara facility with pitchforks if they had passed on Crabs and drafted Oher. He hasn't panned out as a #1 reciever, yeah it happens. People coming on here and claiming they knew better back when he was drafted is a joke.
Originally posted by walker807:
Comon people, we were ALL giddy that the raiders passed him up and he "fell" to the niners. At the time it was considered a no brainer, as in niners fans (many of whom now claim otherwise) would be at the santa clara facility with pitchforks if they had passed on Crabs and drafted Oher. He hasn't panned out as a #1 reciever, yeah it happens. People coming on here and claiming they knew better back when he was drafted is a joke.

i wanted brian orakpo
Originally posted by krizay:
I for one just think he doesn't get the chances to make plays. I'm on the east coast so don't see all the games but from games I watch he gets open. Smith misses him alot. Too high! Too wide! Too long! Too short! Just think they need to get on the same page this offseason. Assuming he can stay healthy and work with Smith.

With all that said, the Saints game Smith was hitting him and he was dropping them. I don't think he's lazy or overhyped, just.... not there yet, I guess.

I completely agree with all of this. The guys been in the league for 3 yrs and some are calling him a bust, wow. I agree he's not putting up superstar numbers but he's not in an offense that would allow him to put up big numbers. He caught 72 passes for 874 yards in an offensive system that isn't all about passing the football and like niner4life21 pointed out, in 2010 he did well with a crappy offense. He block well and he's a team player. Can he get better? Yes. Will he get better? Yes.
Originally posted by x49ersCSEx:
I completely agree with all of this. The guys been in the league for 3 yrs and some are calling him a bust, wow. I agree he's not putting up superstar numbers but he's not in an offense that would allow him to put up big numbers. He caught 72 passes for 874 yards in an offensive system that isn't all about passing the football and like niner4life21 pointed out, in 2010 he did well with a crappy offense. He block well and he's a team player. Can he get better? Yes. Will he get better? Yes.

he isnt a bad WR he just isnt a #1 WR he cant dominate playoff defenses by himself because last year he was our only WR at all in our roster worth a damn
like i said before he lacks both the speed or the size to be a true #1

however he will make the perfect #2 he always dominate the teams with lesser secondaries or even ones with decent ssecondaries just cant beat the playoff level secondaries

thats why we need another WR opposite of him with the speed or size to take away attention from crabs because that way that will leave him to one on one matchups against the #2 CB which he iwll be able to beat

because curretnly he will not beat double coverage and he cant beast 1 on 1 consistantly enough against good corners
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
he's a poor man's Chris Carter and we need a Randy Moss
SMH at this thread.

Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
I think the polls are fixed. He either sucks, or he's lazy.

How about the, "There is no problem with Michael Crabtree" option?

Agree

Bingo.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
SMH at this thread.

Only at this thread?
Crabtree is worth keeping and his career trajectory will be like Vernon Davis's. He has to be involvled with the game plan to make plays, to get into the game plan the coach needs to design plays for him. The Qb need to trust him.

VD and Crabtree are both play makers. Crabtrees TD's will double like VD's did if they make him more involved.

Anyone who things Crabtree is a bust needs to look at Rashaun Woods, Reggie McGrew, to know what a bust is.
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
He is not worth of the 1st round at #10 pick!

Is Alex worth 1st round at # 1 pick? I thought I would ask.
Originally posted by 9erred:
Crabtree is worth keeping and his career trajectory will be like Vernon Davis's. He has to be involvled with the game plan to make plays, to get into the game plan the coach needs to design plays for him. The Qb need to trust him.

VD and Crabtree are both play makers. Crabtrees TD's will double like VD's did if they make him more involved.

Anyone who things Crabtree is a bust needs to look at Rashaun Woods, Reggie McGrew, to know what a bust is.

hes not a bust as a WR hes just a bust as a #1 WR

he will make a solid #2 WR and yes hid TD will go up as soon as we get some attention off of him

he isnt talented enough to be the lone WR and he needs soeone to take the attention f him

not ted ginn kyle williams or an injured braylon edwards

an actual WR
Share 49ersWebzone