LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 283 users in the forums

Crabtree: more overrated than lazy, or more lazy than overrated?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Crabtree: more overrated than lazy, or more lazy than overrated?

Peeps crack me up. They really do. I remember VERY similar threads abouot ALex and about Vernon.

To answer the question of the original poster (which is very "Fox News" style questioning - Both answers force you to accept the premise that he's either lazy or over-rated), he's NEITHER. He is a young WR in a run-first O who doesn't have a viable tatget on the other side and a QB who is hesitant to throw the ball into tight spaces. It's really quite simple. He was also hurt to start the season. If he plays 100% in those early games he is very close to being a 1000 yard reciever. The guy had 72 freakin' catches and was the teams leading receiver.

There were a number of times that he broke wide open for long receptions and Alex simply couldn't put the ball on him. That's not an Alex critique either....it happens. My point is that Crab has shown an ability to get open.

Alex has a great chemistry with Vernon. That is pretty clear. This off-season these guy will have the same O and a FULL OFFSEASON to work on this stuff.

Peeps have been trying to bury Crab since the lockout. Get over it. He's not a bust, he's just not Calvin Johnson or Andre Johnson. All the Niners need to do is ADD to the position and stop trying to bury Crab.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Peeps crack me up. They really do. I remember VERY similar threads abouot ALex and about Vernon.

To answer the question of the original poster (which is very "Fox News" style questioning - Both answers force you to accept the premise that he's either lazy or over-rated), he's NEITHER. He is a young WR in a run-first O who doesn't have a viable tatget on the other side and a QB who is hesitant to throw the ball into tight spaces. It's really quite simple. He was also hurt to start the season. If he plays 100% in those early games he is very close to being a 1000 yard reciever. The guy had 72 freakin' catches and was the teams leading receiver.

There were a number of times that he broke wide open for long receptions and Alex simply couldn't put the ball on him. That's not an Alex critique either....it happens. My point is that Crab has shown an ability to get open.

Alex has a great chemistry with Vernon. That is pretty clear. This off-season these guy will have the same O and a FULL OFFSEASON to work on this stuff.

Peeps have been trying to bury Crab since the lockout. Get over it. He's not a bust, he's just not Calvin Johnson or Andre Johnson. All the Niners need to do is ADD to the position and stop trying to bury Crab.

We need a slow to fast clap smiley.
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
Crabtree was the only 9er who talked about himself after the Giants loss. Everybody else was sticking together as a team, but he was complaining about not getting the football.

Sometimes players need to be called out. How do y'all explain the passes thrown to Crabtree bouncing in front of him three yards short? You can only take so much before it becomes frustrating. I remember Jerry Rice complaining about not getting the ball and he had Montana and Young throwing to him. Can you imagine how frustrated Rice would be with Alex throwing him the ball?
His coaches and teammates have consistently said he's not lazy, but a hard worker. Be that as it may, he's been inconsistent in games. He had a couple key drops vs the Saints (and yes, did make a TD catch), but was virtually invisible against the Giants. I know he's got good ability...but he hasn't shown it often enough. It wouldn't bother me one bit if they traded him for a good draft pick. If they keep him, then he needs to complete an entire off-season...all the mini-camps, OTA's, etc. Then, he needs to show up...every game, every down.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
His coaches and teammates have consistently said he's not lazy, but a hard worker. Be that as it may, he's been inconsistent in games. He had a couple key drops vs the Saints (and yes, did make a TD catch), but was virtually invisible against the Giants. I know he's got good ability...but he hasn't shown it often enough. It wouldn't bother me one bit if they traded him for a good draft pick. If they keep him, then he needs to complete an entire off-season...all the mini-camps, OTA's, etc. Then, he needs to show up...every game, every down.

What receiver in this draft would you take over Crabtree?
I don't think hes lazy, only because others in the organization has said he works hard, but i am definitely leaning towards overrated. He does have decent speed but not elite, but I don't think players need elite speed to be elite, on the other hand if speed is what you lack, you have to be able to get separation, which Crabtree struggles with. I would like him to shed 10 lbs or so, I think that could help him with his speed and overall quickness. As far as separation goes, that can be taught and its something that he absolutely needs to work on in the off season, the coaches really need to help in that area. Got a question of my own, has anyone seen if Crabtree still does his jump off the line of scrimmage?, he used to do this in college and I know its something that scouts said he has to work on, or corners were going to attack it and throw him off his routes.
He's not lazy, but he's not as physically talented as I expected him to be. People were talking about him being in the Fitzgerald/Andre Johnson/Calvin Johnson tier once he got into the league and he's nowhere near that right now. I'm not sure if he has the speed to be any of those, but he has the potential to be a pretty good receiver. I do wish Alex would throw to him more when he gets 1-on-1 to see how Crabtree fights for the ball. He was manhandled by Webster in the NYG game supposedly.
Originally posted by Natewillis2252:
I don't think hes lazy, only because others in the organization has said he works hard, but i am definitely leaning towards overrated. He does have decent speed but not elite, but I don't think players need elite speed to be elite, on the other hand if speed is what you lack, you have to be able to get separation, which Crabtree struggles with. I would like him to shed 10 lbs or so, I think that could help him with his speed and overall quickness. As far as separation goes, that can be taught and its something that he absolutely needs to work on in the off season, the coaches really need to help in that area. Got a question of my own, has anyone seen if Crabtree still does his jump off the line of scrimmage?, he used to do this in college and I know its something that scouts said he has to work on, or corners were going to attack it and throw him off his routes.

I'll be interested to see if Crabtree will be given the routes/plays once given to Braylon Edwards. Because I believe Alex did try to take shots when Braylon was in the lineup, and did seem confident in throwing to him, prior to his injury(ies).

So you're saying he can get better by working on the practice field with Alex and if he does he'll have the chemistry like Vernon does? What happened in the Saints game when the ball was on target?

He's not a Calvin or Andre Johnson. That's something I will clap to.
Originally posted by paperplanemedia:

So you're saying he can get better by working on the practice field with Alex and if he does he'll have the chemistry like Vernon does? What happened in the Saints game when the ball was on target?

Yes, because dropping a couple passes equals bust. I didn't see you say that when he made a great leaping catch for 41 yard on 3rd and a mile vs Seattle.

Seriously? I'm glad you aren't a GM.

He will get better
Originally posted by paperplanemedia:

Yes, because dropping a couple passes equals bust. I didn't see you say that when he made a great leaping catch for 41 yard on 3rd and a mile vs Seattle.

Seriously? I'm glad you aren't a GM.

Where did I say he was a bust? He will continue to have to leap for passes if he doesn't get on the practice field in the off season, I mean look at Vernon, how often does he have to leap on passes thrown to him, other than the unnecessary hops he makes when catching the ball? I'm glad I'm not the GM either, but like you said. Crabtree isn't Calvin or Andre Johnson and should've been drafted with that in mind, when we were selecting the 10th overall pick.
I think he laziness is over rated...
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
I think he laziness is over rated...

LOL
Not voting on this but if he isn't taking serious his game play and his responsibilities on what he was drafted to do then J. Harbaugh knows how to handle this. But in all accounts there is a lot of things that comes in play with the progression of Crabtree. Remember, one of the reason's B. Edwards got cut wasn't because of his injury but due to the lack of effort of his injury's and other things that probably didnt make head lines. If Crabtree is really not showing heart for this team then I believe he would've been cut already. Ive seen some good things come out of this young man, his ability to shake tacklers and out wit his opponents is something that cant be tought, you need heart for that. On the coin side, from what I watched in our playoff run he needs to work harder on his WR fundamentals and if im not mistaken the first two or maybe three years J. Rice had it hard before he broke out to be what he is and was. Time will tell what is in store for M. Crabtree and who knows... maybe he is an off season away from having a break out year.

Red and Gold
Share 49ersWebzone