LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 262 users in the forums

Crabtree: more overrated than lazy, or more lazy than overrated?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Crabtree: more overrated than lazy, or more lazy than overrated?

Originally posted by paperplanemedia:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by paperplanemedia:
Peeps crack me up. They really do. I remember VERY similar threads abouot ALex and about Vernon.

To answer the question of the original poster (which is very "Fox News" style questioning - Both answers force you to accept the premise that he's either lazy or over-rated), he's NEITHER. He is a young WR in a run-first O who doesn't have a viable tatget on the other side and a QB who is hesitant to throw the ball into tight spaces. It's really quite simple. He was also hurt to start the season. If he plays 100% in those early games he is very close to being a 1000 yard reciever. The guy had 72 freakin' catches and was the teams leading receiver.

There were a number of times that he broke wide open for long receptions and Alex simply couldn't put the ball on him. That's not an Alex critique either....it happens. My point is that Crab has shown an ability to get open.

Alex has a great chemistry with Vernon. That is pretty clear. This off-season these guy will have the same O and a FULL OFFSEASON to work on this stuff.

Peeps have been trying to bury Crab since the lockout. Get over it. He's not a bust, he's just not Calvin Johnson or Andre Johnson. All the Niners need to do is ADD to the position and stop trying to bury Crab.

So you're saying he can get better by working on the practice field with Alex and if he does he'll have the chemistry like Vernon does? What happened in the Saints game when the ball was on target?

He's not a Calvin or Andre Johnson. That's something I will clap to.

Yes, because dropping a couple passes equals bust. I didn't see you say that when he made a great leaping catch for 41 yard on 3rd and a mile vs Seattle.

Seriously? I'm glad you aren't a GM.

Where did I say he was a bust? He will continue to have to leap for passes if he doesn't get on the practice field in the off season, I mean look at Vernon, how often does he have to leap on passes thrown to him, other than the unnecessary hops he makes when catching the ball? I'm glad I'm not the GM either, but like you said. Crabtree isn't Calvin or Andre Johnson and should've been drafted with that in mind, when we were selecting the 10th overall pick.

This. There's nothing like 11 to 85 chemistry, put in work mr. Crabs.
Yes, because dropping a couple passes equals bust. I didn't see you say that when he made a great leaping catch for 41 yard on 3rd and a mile vs Seattle.

Yup.

Crabs and co. have made some nice catches this year.

Next year with VD, Crabs, D Walk, Morgan and maybe a FA or rookie would be pretty sweet.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Yup.

Crabs and co. have made some nice catches this year.

Next year with VD, Crabs, D Walk, Morgan and maybe a FA or rookie would be pretty sweet.

He also dropped many easy ones, that other wrs in the league have taken to the house.
When I see Crab make cuts all I see is arms and legs flying everywhere. Too much wasted motion. Pretty good hands, although he didn't show it in the playoffs.
He could be better with someone who can up his game. If we could trade him what's the value? Maybe a 3rd I'd see what Dallas or Houston have to offer. Maybe trade him for Vernon's brother Vontae in Miami. He's a pretty good corner. I'm not particularly interested in dealing him though. We don't know what Josh Morgan will be like if he comes back. Kyle Williams could totally collapse from being booed into oblivion next season. Ted Ginn hopefully returns. We have to keep somebody who knows what they're doing out there.
Originally posted by gavindirishmen:
When I see Crab make cuts all I see is arms and legs flying everywhere. Too much wasted motion. Pretty good hands, although he didn't show it in the playoffs.
He could be better with someone who can up his game. If we could trade him what's the value? Maybe a 3rd I'd see what Dallas or Houston have to offer. Maybe trade him for Vernon's brother Vontae in Miami. He's a pretty good corner. I'm not particularly interested in dealing him though. We don't know what Josh Morgan will be like if he comes back. Kyle Williams could totally collapse from being booed into oblivion next season. Ted Ginn hopefully returns. We have to keep somebody who knows what they're doing out there.

It's funny, if you watch the last drive vs new Orleans when we went into the hurry up offense Crabtree had no idea what route he was running. He was looking around before the snap, and during the crucial downs late in games Alex would go to Vernon, Delanie, and never Crabtree.
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
I wouldn't say lazy... but he definitely lacks discipline and attention to detail. He has some physical tools... he has been an avg WR, BUT I think if he were to focus more, run much better routes and concentrate on his catching he could be a top tier WR.

I think he is so used to being the best, he just went out there and did it. At TTech he was the best WR in the country as a freshman and soph... I'm sure he dominated in HS the same way, so he has never had to work to become better... I think he works hard, but he doesn't work hard on all the small details that will take him to the next level... he just expects to go out there and be great like he's always been. Jerry Rice is the best ever not because he was blessed with great speed or physical talent, but because he worked his ass off and was obsessed with perfection.

So to me the questions becomes, is he content with his level of play (and willingness to blame the QB for not giving him chances to make plays even though he's covered) OR does he do everything in his power to become a better route runner and pass catcher. It will be interesting to see what happens next pre season.
What I want to know is why wouldn't he be considered a solid #1 receiver? If Stevie Johnson is, then so should Crabtree. If Alex can improve on his play from 2011, then so can Crabtree.
Dude has only played 3 years and has improved every years and this last year, we were near last in pass attempts:

rookie: 48 for 625
2nd year: 55 for 741
3rd: 72 for 874

Complete offseason and TC: he should be good for 1000 in 2012.
Originally posted by Joecool:
What I want to know is why wouldn't he be considered a solid #1 receiver? If Stevie Johnson is, then so should Crabtree. If Alex can improve on his play from 2011, then so can Crabtree.
Dude has only played 3 years and has improved every years and this last year, we were near last in pass attempts:

And you could very well be right, Im sure he has it in him, the thing is does he want to work hard to get it all out? Just like with every position on the team Jim is going to make him earn it, and hopefully Crabs takes him serious about earning it.
He was lazy. But towards the end of the season, the 49ers seemed to air it out more & more, which means he'll get more chances to catch the ball. He'll probably be happy because of that. Plus after this 13-3 season, he'd be excited to be on a winning team for once. He has the talent to be a really good player, but he hasn't proven himself to be that yet. Seems to me he's just a straight up possession receiver & needs a playmaking wideout on the other side to compliment him.
Originally posted by Joecool:

Nobody said he can't improve or that he sucks, just that we could use more good WRs. Look at GB, they had Driver, Jennings, Nelson, and Jones but they still used their #1 pick on the reciever+returner from Kentucky. We had a decent but not great WR corp to start the season. Then we started the season and we got to the point where Kyle Williams was #2 and Brett Swain was our #3, it limited our offense badly. If we have real good depth and a #1, or atleast a speed or size guy to compliment/change up from Crabree and Morgan, we could be a lot better. I don't know why you seem to think wanting another guy at WR is a diss on Crabs. He's still going to play dude. He's still going to get balls. But instead of facing the other teams #1 corner, he can get the 2 guy or in the slot and be more dangerous. Nobody said he can't improve. I expect both him and Alex to get better this offseason, and I expect atleast like 950 yards and 6 TDs from Crabs next year. That's about what you get from a good #2. Which right now is kind of where I think he is. Improve his route running and cut the drops and he can be a #1 as long as you have a good 2 who takes the top off the defense or offers a size mismatch in the RZ.

Originally posted by Pick6:
I wouldn't say lazy... but he definitely lacks discipline and attention to detail. He has some physical tools... he has been an avg WR, BUT I think if he were to focus more, run much better routes and concentrate on his catching he could be a top tier WR.

I think he is so used to being the best, he just went out there and did it. At TTech he was the best WR in the country as a freshman and soph... I'm sure he dominated in HS the same way, so he has never had to work to become better... I think he works hard, but he doesn't work hard on all the small details that will take him to the next level... he just expects to go out there and be great like he's always been. Jerry Rice is the best ever not because he was blessed with great speed or physical talent, but because he worked his ass off and was obsessed with perfection.

So to me the questions becomes, is he content with his level of play (and willingness to blame the QB for not giving him chances to make plays even though he's covered) OR does he do everything in his power to become a better route runner and pass catcher. It will be interesting to see what happens next pre season.
That's like saying, hey coach i know it's Joe Montana, and he's great, but let's start steve. Crabtree needs training camp to gel with alex, and a wr on the otherside who can run him clear. lol Alex also throws ad Vd, and walker because their money! Hey look that tightend is 265, runs a 4.34 and than.
  • dj43
Well, he is on top of this list: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/lists/NFLs_top_10_divas#photo-title=Michael%20Crabtree&photo=30051856
Dude is overrated because of the high draft pick, then contract holdout. People are expecting to see a superstar performance from anyone that brings that kind of drama into their first contract negotiation. But the dude just looks like another young guy just trying to make the team, not a superstar.
Originally posted by dj43:
Well, he is on top of this list: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/lists/NFLs_top_10_divas#photo-title=Michael%20Crabtree&photo=30051856

...that is an article from a guy who doesn't cover the team and was written BEFORE the season. Everyone who doesn't know anything about him calls him a Diva because that is his public perception. How about this one from a guy who DOES cover the team....

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/niners-talk/post/49ers-Mailbag-Whats-Crabtrees-future?blockID=650394&feedID=5884

"Any chance of Crabtree getting traded for a pick or player? Seems to be only player who doesn't fit Harbaugh's team 1st mentality. (@Mike Spediacci)

The 49ers ended the season so short on wide receivers that on third downs in the NFC Championship Game they went with tight end Delanie Walker, playing for the first time after missing a month with a fractured jaw, instead of their No. 3 wide receiver, Brett Swain.

The 49ers need a wide receiver or two. So there is no reason for them to get rid of their best receiver -- the player who led the league's No. 29-rated passing game with 72 catches for 874 yards. (Vernon Davis had 67 receptions for 792 yards.)

Coach Jim Harbaugh would definitely challenge you on your statement that Crabtree does not fit into his team-first mentality. Crabtree turned a lot of heads this season with his willingness and effectiveness as a blocker.

Crabtree, on more than one occasion last season, said he was willing to do whatever it took to win. He said he doesn't look at his stats because he only cares about winning.

When he failed to catch three passes that hit his hands in the playoff game against the Saints, he said "it haunted me."

And after the NFC Championship Game against the New York Giants, in which he caught just one pass for 3 yards, Crabtree showed his frustration more than anybody on the team. He said he saw other teams throwing passes to receivers who weren't wide open, allowing them to make plays. He said he wanted some of those chances, too.

Crabtree is signed through 2014, and he figures to be an important piece of this offense at least through then."
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Feb 13, 2012 at 2:12 PM ]
Michael Crabtree saved Christmas

/thread
Share 49ersWebzone