There are 50 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

QB position up for competition next year?

Originally posted by 305Niner:
Originally posted by fister30:
If the niners do go after Peyton they would have to get another legitimate WR to go alongside Crabs, Morgan and Davis/Walker. Player X, those three and Kyle Williams would make a decent WR corp. Most people don't want to think about this right now but Williams is explosive after the catch and he has good hands.

I can't imagine what Gore/Hunter would do if teams had to play pass first against our running game.

I dont think its a smart move to go after Peyton. The neck injury is serious. We were one game away from the superbowl this year. All we need is to sign everybody on defense and get a QB that is not scared to make the play on a consistent basis. We quite honestly DONT need Peyton. We really dont. People to this day really do not understand how tough this defense is.

We can add another WR definitely for depth. I like Malcom Floyd in the draft if we could get him. Not too crazy about breaking the bank for a FA WR. It would be better to try to upgrade the QB position for insurance if Kaep's development is slow.

Even if you lose 1-2 free agent defenders, making the offense a top 10 offense and keeping possession of the ball and getting bigger leads will compensate for any defensive loss because they won't have to win every game and they'll be in better positions to pin their ears back and be more aggressive. On the micro level, we didn't make the Super Bowl because of Kyle Williams' fumbles. On the macro level, we didn't make the Super Bowl because we didn't generate enough offense and always left our defense and special teams with zero margin for error. Improving the offense will lift the entire team. Get better WRs. Coach up the QBs and have them compete.
Originally posted by BSofSF:
If the niners do go after Peyton they would have to get another legitimate WR to go alongside Crabs, Morgan and Davis/Walker. Player X, those three and Kyle Williams would make a decent WR corp. Most people don't want to think about this right now but Williams is explosive after the catch and he has good hands.

I can't imagine what Gore/Hunter would do if teams had to play pass first against our running game.

I dont think its a smart move to go after Peyton. The neck injury is serious. We were one game away from the superbowl this year. All we need is to sign everybody on defense and get a QB that is not scared to make the play on a consistent basis. We quite honestly DONT need Peyton. We really dont. People to this day really do not understand how tough this defense is.

We can add another WR definitely for depth. I like Malcom Floyd in the draft if we could get him. Not too crazy about breaking the bank for a FA WR. It would be better to try to upgrade the QB position for insurance if Kaep's development is slow.

Even if you lose 1-2 free agent defenders, making the offense a top 10 offense and keeping possession of the ball and getting bigger leads will compensate for any defensive loss because they won't have to win every game and they'll be in better positions to pin their ears back and be more aggressive. On the micro level, we didn't make the Super Bowl because of Kyle Williams' fumbles. On the macro level, we didn't make the Super Bowl because we didn't generate enough offense and always left our defense and special teams with zero margin for error. Improving the offense will lift the entire team. Get better WRs. Coach up the QBs and have them compete.

Kyle Williams wasn't the only reason we didnt make the superbowl, it was definitely on the offense. (and rogers and goldson not having their best games)
Alex smith is to inaccurate, Harbaugh knows it which is why the playbook is about 80% 5yd pass plays. We need a rocket arm that takes chances look at brett favre career. I believe in kaepernick.
Originally posted by castlebar85:
Alex smith is to inaccurate, Harbaugh knows it which is why the playbook is about 80% 5yd pass plays. We need a rocket arm that takes chances look at brett favre career. I believe in kaepernick.

Throws that are deep down field are in themselves low percentage throws. It doesn't necessarily has anything to do with a conservative play book. Then you add the mentality of the defense not giving up anything deep as their biggest fear. You will realized offense will try to make a living throwing short to medium passes to give their receivers a chance to run after the catch for a TD. In other word, it's the WCO.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Throws that are deep down field are in themselves low percentage throws. It doesn't necessarily has anything to do with a conservative play book. Then you add the mentality of the defense not giving up anything deep as their biggest fear. You will realized offense will try to make a living throwing short to medium passes to give their receivers a chance to run after the catch for a TD. In other word, it's the WCO.

So much patience with such a ridiculous comment.
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtcomposer:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by vaden:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Our conservative offense is a function of the QB's capabilities. Our QB play is also therefore not a function of our conservative offense. The test is really simple: If we had Brees, Rodgers, or Manning, would our offense still be conservative? Not a chance in hell. We'd have a wide open offense and we would have gone to the SB with roller skates on. The conclusion is fairly obvious.

our conservative offense is a function of the head coaches philosophy. Ever watch a Stanford game? (i know the answer).
ive beens aying this forever

they will ignore this and say that same ting again in a different thread

Exactly. Dilfer was trying to explain the same thing to Colin Cowherd on his radio show earlier this week, and how the combination of Harbaugh's style and our limited personnel has led to disaster on 3rd downs.

Harbaugh did not run a conservative offense at USD. He uses his players to their strengths and clearly having an aggressive offense is not a strength of Smith.

I agree. I don't dont get this whole conservative offense is what Harbaugh is about. I was at the Stanford vs V Tech game. He ran the ball and threw quite a few times. I see a balanced offense, not a conservative. Whatever works he will do. Sorry you don't have a QB with Heismann hopes with a conservative offense. Conservative would be what Nick Saban at Alabama does.

If we ever get a star QB who ever it is, I would bet the Condo(dont own a house lol) that our offense would not look like how it is with Smith is in.

I think it would look the same, but that QB would be making the plays Alex Smith passed up [pun intended].

Meh. I see a balanced attack with Stanford. Of course they run the ball, but they do air it out also. I just think it depends who they play. But I definitely agree Smith is timid and wont try to make the big play unless its clearly open. You know how when VD has the LB beat by like 5 steps? lol

this is a horrible argument. Smith made countless throws this season in tight coverage. Stop making things up to support weak arguments. I can't believe how the rats have come back onto the ship after a pretty peaceful regular season.

Smith made tight throws to the only receiver with whom he had enough time to develop the timing and chemistry - Vernon Davis, and it took, by Vernon's own admission, 12 weeks before he understood the offense well enough to BEGIN running the correct routes. The Throw that beat NO was one example. Another against the Giants.

The passing game takes more time to develop than any other aspect of football. I have posted on here many about how Montana and Young both commented about how much work it took - how many hours it too, to get the timing and routes down before they began to work in the game.

When you go back and look at the overview of the season, it is a wonder the passing game worked at all. The Big News was Edwards and he bombed. Morgan only played 4+ games, Crabtree couldn't begin to practice full speed until week 12, VD didn't learn the offense until the season was 2/3 over, we finished the season with a waiver wire pickup and a practice squad guy on the active roster. Ted Ginn was a failure in Miami and came here only as a returner but due to the lack of talented backups became a starter. Kyle Williams was the #5 guy at the beginning of the season and got PT only because of injury....and all the failures are because of Alex Smith??? Some people need to study more football.

True but an upgrade at the QB position would be key. You can add another WR via the draft or FA also. For record I was pissed off at Kyle for the fumbles, but the 1 for the 13 didnt help. I think Kyle is going to be a very good WR...just keep away from punts. lol
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by vaden:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Our conservative offense is a function of the QB's capabilities. Our QB play is also therefore not a function of our conservative offense. The test is really simple: If we had Brees, Rodgers, or Manning, would our offense still be conservative? Not a chance in hell. We'd have a wide open offense and we would have gone to the SB with roller skates on. The conclusion is fairly obvious.

our conservative offense is a function of the head coaches philosophy. Ever watch a Stanford game? (i know the answer).
ive beens aying this forever

they will ignore this and say that same ting again in a different thread

Exactly. Dilfer was trying to explain the same thing to Colin Cowherd on his radio show earlier this week, and how the combination of Harbaugh's style and our limited personnel has led to disaster on 3rd downs.

Harbaugh did not run a conservative offense at USD. He uses his players to their strengths and clearly having an aggressive offense is not a strength of Smith.

I agree. I don't dont get this whole conservative offense is what Harbaugh is about. I was at the Stanford vs V Tech game. He ran the ball and threw quite a few times. I see a balanced offense, not a conservative. Whatever works he will do. Sorry you don't have a QB with Heismann hopes with a conservative offense. Conservative would be what Nick Saban at Alabama does.

If we ever get a star QB who ever it is, I would bet the Condo(dont own a house lol) that our offense would not look like how it is with Smith is in.

I think it would look the same, but that QB would be making the plays Alex Smith passed up [pun intended].

Meh. I see a balanced attack with Stanford. Of course they run the ball, but they do air it out also. I just think it depends who they play. But I definitely agree Smith is timid and wont try to make the big play unless its clearly open. You know how when VD has the LB beat by like 5 steps? lol

this is a horrible argument. Smith made countless throws this season in tight coverage. Stop making things up to support weak arguments. I can't believe how the rats have come back onto the ship after a pretty peaceful regular season.

I can't beleive the Alexsexuals are still in denial.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:

Kyle Williams wasn't the only reason we didnt make the superbowl, it was definitely on the offense. (and rogers and goldson not having their best games)

True Goldson made the same the mistake twice like Kyle did. Can't believe he knocked 2 players out the way for a gauranteed INT. I can't give Giants much credit this game. 49ers beat themselves.
Adding Peyton makes bum wr's look a lot better. Does anybody really think Reggie Wayne, Pierre Garcon, and Dallas Clark are going to look as good as they do with Manning.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Adding Peyton makes bum wr's look a lot better. Does anybody really think Reggie Wayne, Pierre Garcon, and Dallas Clark are going to look as good as they do with Manning.

49ers don't need Peyton though. If we had a weaker defense I would agree. The amount of money spent on Peyton could sign some of our defenders. Peyton is a beast but with the neck injury and financial hit....its definitely not worth it.
  • dj43
  • Veteran

True but an upgrade at the QB position would be key. You can add another WR via the draft or FA also. For record I was pissed off at Kyle for the fumbles, but the 1 for the 13 didnt help. I think Kyle is going to be a very good WR...just keep away from punts. lol

I just finished reading three different articles on the 49ers and all of them mentioned the poor 3rd down conversion rate and talked about what the 49ers should do with Alex Smith...and all three of them, including Brian Billick, laid equal or more blame on "mediocre receivers" as on the QB. All three felt the key position to improve on offense was wide receiver, not QB. All felt Alex Smith would be able to take the offense up another notch if he had reliable receivers.

hmmm Where have we heard that before?

Have to keep calm and cool to balanced out, amongst the hysterical insane rant on Smith.
  • dj43
  • Veteran

Have to keep calm and cool to balanced out, amongst the hysterical insane rant on Smith.

Me thinks castle forgot one of these: No one who follows football for any length of time seriously wants Brett Favre for a QB.
Originally posted by dj43:
Me thinks castle forgot one of these: No one who follows football for any length of time seriously wants Brett Favre for a QB.

There was a 3-4 years span in Favre's career where he was excellent. You can see him making eye popping throws just about all the time. There was still an occasional INT but the offense was humming because of Favre. But when he started to decline either due his play or the talents around him, he became inconsistent and the INTs start to come out at the worst of times.