LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 226 users in the forums

QB position up for competition next year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by HessianDud:
there should definitely be competition. it makes everyone better. we should have a more veteran option at backup anyway. CK and Tolzien might have promise but we have clearly opened the Super Bowl window and I'm not sure we can rely on either of those guys yet if we need to. If we can bring in a veteran QB somehow who is a viable starting option and let Alex, New QB, CK, and Tolzien battle it out for 3 spots, this team will be better for it.

...that is, assuming we also sign our key free agents, have a good draft, and solve the WR issue one way or the other.

but in the competition the niners have to factor in alex smith quarterbacking the team to a 14-4 nfc championship game season---versus unproven players kaepernick and tolzein
Originally posted by hofer36:
there should definitely be competition. it makes everyone better. we should have a more veteran option at backup anyway. CK and Tolzien might have promise but we have clearly opened the Super Bowl window and I'm not sure we can rely on either of those guys yet if we need to. If we can bring in a veteran QB somehow who is a viable starting option and let Alex, New QB, CK, and Tolzien battle it out for 3 spots, this team will be better for it.

...that is, assuming we also sign our key free agents, have a good draft, and solve the WR issue one way or the other.

but in the competition the niners have to factor in alex smith quarterbacking the team to a 14-4 nfc championship game season---versus unproven players kaepernick and tolzein

i would be shocked if CK or Tolzien performed well enough in TC and preseason next year to really challenge Smith for the starting spot. I'm more talking about Smith competing with a vet mostly.

as far as his accomplishments this year, of course it should be considered, but that consideration would mostly manifest, I'd imagine, in how those accomplishments translate into knowledge of the offense and leadership on the team; having ownership of the locker-room would make it Smith's job to lose, I'd guess.
If we land Peyton Manning, no QB competition needed..
Originally posted by sixbricks:

we'll need a competition to see who replaces him after he retires in August after getting paralyzed the first time he takes a blindside hit.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by dj43:
Me thinks castle forgot one of these: No one who follows football for any length of time seriously wants Brett Favre for a QB.

There was a 3-4 years span in Favre's career where he was excellent. You can see him making eye popping throws just about all the time. There was still an occasional INT but the offense was humming because of Favre. But when he started to decline either due his play or the talents around him, he became inconsistent and the INTs start to come out at the worst of times.

off topic, but i stick to my guns that Favre is not a top 10 all time QB.

Rodgers is by far better than Favre.
Originally posted by sixbricks:

i suspect Peyton Manning will want alot more money than Alex Smith to play qb for the team...
would those of you pushing for him to be signed by the 49ers be willing to give up Carlos Rogers and Dashon Goldson to get him?
  • dj43

I fully agree on the desirability of having a vet backup instead of CK/Tolzien. I just don't see who it would be.
Let us just face it. Kaep has all the tools to be a better QB than Alex. It will be up to Kaep to apply those tools the way JH wants. If he does, then he may start sooner than we think.

Let us also realize Alex is limited compared to Kaep as was Shaun Hill compared to Alex.
Its Alex job to lose. and he would have to lose it on the field. No way you go from an overtime away from the Super Bowl to holding a clipboard week one. The pressure on Kap would be extraordinary.

If Alex s**ts the bed a big IF, then Kap takes over during the season, but not before.

I fully agree on the desirability of having a vet backup instead of CK/Tolzien. I just don't see who it would be.

that's the million dollar question, isn't it? I think JJ is one of the few guys who would be available and would be a potentially viable option at starter. if there is going to be a competition, it should be a legit one. not some washed up has been or a nobody or a Rex Grossman.

Also those who want to point at our need for WR right now. Prior to this season, we didnt just go after Braylon, we went after Hasselbeck. There was also a desire to upgrade at QB.

Harbaugh does a great job at hiding a QBs weaknesses and he did wonders with Alex in play design. Alex has not proven to be a consistent QB that doesnt always require to rely on play design. He heavily relies on play design to be successful.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Also those who want to point at our need for WR right now. Prior to this season, we didnt just go after Braylon, we went after Hasselbeck. There was also a desire to upgrade at QB.

Harbaugh does a great job at hiding a QBs weaknesses and he did wonders with Alex in play design. Alex has not proven to be a consistent QB that doesnt always require to rely on play design. He heavily relies on play design to be successful.

this is true of all QBs.
  • dj43

that's the million dollar question, isn't it? I think JJ is one of the few guys who would be available and would be a potentially viable option at starter. if there is going to be a competition, it should be a legit one. not some washed up has been or a nobody or a Rex Grossman.

Even he has had very little pro experience. Dilemma. Johnson has thrown a total of 177 passes in 4 years at TB.
[ Edited by dj43 on Jan 27, 2012 at 2:41 PM ]

Even he has had very little pro experience. Dilemma. Johnson has thrown a total of 177 passes in 4 years at TB.

yeah, no perfect scenario.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
Let us just face it. Kaep has all the tools to be a better QB than Alex. It will be up to Kaep to apply those tools the way JH wants. If he does, then he may start sooner than we think.

Let us also realize Alex is limited compared to Kaep as was Shaun Hill compared to Alex.
I agree, and I see no reason Harbaugh couldn't create an offense for a rookie that fundamentally avoids turnovers like he did with Alex. Being realistic here, Alex himself was very "rookie-like" as far as development and coaching goes, this was his first season with a coach who actually understands what it takes to be a quarterback. I don't see why Kaep couldn't have a year like Dalton had or even better(with our defense of course lowering pressure).

Kaepernick has a luxury many players with his raw talents don't get the chance to have- sitting on the bench and learning. He did it for a season, we'll see how much he has improved from the very very raw guy we saw last preseason. I do think it'll be a tremendous improvement and the start CK bandwagon will catch fire.
[ Edited by mike on Jan 27, 2012 at 3:33 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone