LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 241 users in the forums

QB position up for competition next year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by Joecool:
After reading Maiocco's article it makes sense to me the Niners should add a more experienced back up to Smith. I don't see Kaep as near ready next year to be a true backup. I thought we were really lucky that Smith played in all 16+ games without any injury. It's too early in Kaep's development be a good backup. Maybe Josh Johnson.

I don't think so. Kaep is a very smart player. If he proves he picks up the system quickly and understands it AND he shows he is also physically ready to apply it, then Alex will have a short leash or lose the job.

Reality is, Alex has limitations and Kaep has elite athleticism and throwing ability. If he shows he is ready, Harbuagh will not hesitate to develop him sooner. This Defense, this team in this era...you just can't think you are going to keep all the talent that makes everything great. You wait too long and you will get weaker in some areas.

You know Kaep would be in his first true TC next year right... since this year's TC was truncated. He won't be ready next year. I don't want the repeat of 2010. Troy Smith and Nate Davis.

That doesn't matter. He has been involved in the playbook, QB meetings, and many other things for an entire season now. Look at the other rookies who started and had zero TC. If he shows he's capable in TC, Alex will have a short leash or may lose the job altogether. Having said all that, we do have the luxury of sitting Kaep longer but expect a standard offense in terms of stats with Mr. 299.
[ Edited by Joecool on Jan 26, 2012 at 12:43 PM ]
After reading Maiocco's article it makes sense to me the Niners should add a more experienced back up to Smith. I don't see Kaep as near ready next year to be a true backup. I thought we were really lucky that Smith played in all 16+ games without any injury. It's too early in Kaep's development be a good backup. Maybe Josh Johnson.

I don't think so. Kaep is a very smart player. If he proves he picks up the system quickly and understands it AND he shows he is also physically ready to apply it, then Alex will have a short leash or lose the job.

Reality is, Alex has limitations and Kaep has elite athleticism and throwing ability. If he shows he is ready, Harbuagh will not hesitate to develop him sooner. This Defense, this team in this era...you just can't think you are going to keep all the talent that makes everything great. You wait too long and you will get weaker in some areas.

You know Kaep would be in his first true TC next year right... since this year's TC was truncated. He won't be ready next year. I don't want the repeat of 2010. Troy Smith and Nate Davis.

That doesn't matter. He has been involved in the playbook, QB meetings, and many other things for an entire season now. Look at the other rookies who started and had zero TC. If he shows he's capable in TC, Alex will have a short leash or may lose the job altogether. Having said all that, we do have the luxury of sitting Kaep longer but expect a standard offense in terms of stats with Mr. 299.

It matter in Kaep's case because he came from a spread offense. It takes reps under center and the acclimation to the pro style. He didn't have a full TC for all this.
Originally posted by 305Niner:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by vaden:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Our conservative offense is a function of the QB's capabilities. Our QB play is also therefore not a function of our conservative offense. The test is really simple: If we had Brees, Rodgers, or Manning, would our offense still be conservative? Not a chance in hell. We'd have a wide open offense and we would have gone to the SB with roller skates on. The conclusion is fairly obvious.

our conservative offense is a function of the head coaches philosophy. Ever watch a Stanford game? (i know the answer).
ive beens aying this forever

they will ignore this and say that same ting again in a different thread

Exactly. Dilfer was trying to explain the same thing to Colin Cowherd on his radio show earlier this week, and how the combination of Harbaugh's style and our limited personnel has led to disaster on 3rd downs.

Harbaugh did not run a conservative offense at USD. He uses his players to their strengths and clearly having an aggressive offense is not a strength of Smith.

I agree. I don't dont get this whole conservative offense is what Harbaugh is about. I was at the Stanford vs V Tech game. He ran the ball and threw quite a few times. I see a balanced offense, not a conservative. Whatever works he will do. Sorry you don't have a QB with Heismann hopes with a conservative offense. Conservative would be what Nick Saban at Alabama does.

If we ever get a star QB who ever it is, I would bet the Condo(dont own a house lol) that our offense would not look like how it is with Smith is in.

I think it would look the same, but that QB would be making the plays Alex Smith passed up [pun intended].

pun failed

It matter in Kaep's case because he came from a spread offense. It takes reps under center and the acclimation to the pro style. He didn't have a full TC for all this.

You don't think he was being taught throughout the year?

You don't think he was being taught throughout the year?

Not enough. The coaches too busy game planning, traveling from week to with different opponents. No, I don't see it as significant as a full camp.
Not enough. The coaches too busy game planning, traveling from week to with different opponents. No, I don't see it as significant as a full camp.

I don't know. Seems pretty careless to draft a raw player early in the 2nd round, a QB even, and not invest time into grounding his fundamentals so he's more ready for next year.

I don't know. Seems pretty careless to draft a raw player early in the 2nd round, a QB even, and not invest time into grounding his fundamentals so he's more ready for next year.

That's exactly what I thought of Harbaugh at the beginning of the year. I think the coaches are trying to get Kaep up to speed but I still think it's too early in his development to be ready for a good backup duty. I hope they can make it work somehow next year. But I thought the team was very luck without injury to Smith this year.
Originally posted by 305Niner:
Our conservative offense is a function of the QB's capabilities. Our QB play is also therefore not a function of our conservative offense. The test is really simple: If we had Brees, Rodgers, or Manning, would our offense still be conservative? Not a chance in hell. We'd have a wide open offense and we would have gone to the SB with roller skates on. The conclusion is fairly obvious.

our conservative offense is a function of the head coaches philosophy. Ever watch a Stanford game? (i know the answer).

Exactly. Dilfer was trying to explain the same thing to Colin Cowherd on his radio show earlier this week, and how the combination of Harbaugh's style and our limited personnel has led to disaster on 3rd downs.

Harbaugh did not run a conservative offense at USD. He uses his players to their strengths and clearly having an aggressive offense is not a strength of Smith.

I agree. I don't dont get this whole conservative offense is what Harbaugh is about. I was at the Stanford vs V Tech game. He ran the ball and threw quite a few times. I see a balanced offense, not a conservative. Whatever works he will do. Sorry you don't have a QB with Heismann hopes with a conservative offense. Conservative would be what Nick Saban at Alabama does.

If we ever get a star QB who ever it is, I would bet the Condo(dont own a house lol) that our offense would not look like how it is with Smith is in.

I think it would look the same, but that QB would be making the plays Alex Smith passed up [pun intended].

Meh. I see a balanced attack with Stanford. Of course they run the ball, but they do air it out also. I just think it depends who they play. But I definitely agree Smith is timid and wont try to make the big play unless its clearly open. You know how when VD has the LB beat by like 5 steps? lol
We can speculate all day. Smith is definitely coming back. So no argument there. I believe the Manning to 49ers articles is just a bunch of crap. As much as it pains me to say this, I would pass on Manning at this point. Primarily because of his Financial hit. We have too many players on Defense to sign who I credit for the most part for getting this great season. Also the health issue, that neck injury sounds pretty serious.

So my guess is the 49ers either keep it the same three QB's or cut Tolzien and sign a FA QB. The most logical one Josh Johnson. I dont think he is great but I don't what he can do under Harbaugh with better WR's and Defense than Tampa Bay. Plus he looks like he would be a great back up because he knows Harbaugh's offense. Vince Young is another QB that would not have to break the bank. He has a 31-21 starting record and played a year under the WCO. I seriously doubt the 49ers spend mega cash on QB next season.
[ Edited by 305Niner on Jan 26, 2012 at 3:11 PM ]
Originally posted by schmons:

i agree with this.

still, Luck is lauded for being "pro ready" and the offense we run is very similar to the stanford offense. food for thought.

they run more in stanford than we do here actually

its easy for stanford to run 30-40 times a game when you have overpowering 1st round worthy offensive lineman's shoving undersized linebackers and defensive backs around. not so much for the 49ers

And you have a QB that will tear your a** out if you put 8 in the box....not so much for the 49ers.

Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
And you have a QB that will tear your a** out if you put 8 in the box....not so much for the 49ers.

Smith did this for the first game against the Giants.

i agree with this.

still, Luck is lauded for being "pro ready" and the offense we run is very similar to the stanford offense. food for thought.

its easy for stanford to run 30-40 times a game when you have overpowering 1st round worthy offensive lineman's shoving undersized linebackers and defensive backs around. not so much for the 49ers

?

ur basing this off the past he has burned a lotof teams which the box was stacked

i agree with this.

?

ur basing this off the past he has burned a lotof teams which the box was stacked

(f)x=Alex(run+5yardout-throwaway)+defense/2

or

PEYTON!!!
[ Edited by fister30 on Jan 26, 2012 at 6:35 PM ]
Originally posted by fister30:
(f)x=Alex(run+5yardout-throwaway)+defense/2

or

PEYTON!!!

honestly how many times has he done that this year?
  • dj43

It is true that coaches do not have time to spend on fundamentals during the season. That is why the off-season and TC is so important. Geep Chryst likely spent some time with him along the way but we are now learning the Chryst was a big part of the weekly game plan as well. He was the guy who called QB9, the rollout that Alex scored on against NO.

I expect to see CK get a lot of run in TC next summer if for no other reason than in case Alex is injured. It would have been a disaster had he been forced into playing this season.
Share 49ersWebzone