LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 317 users in the forums

Anyone else still really bummed/depressed about the outcome of this year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • bors
  • Veteran
i was bummmed when the zone was down last night

zone addict
I've never taken a 49er loss harder than this one, and I've been a diehard fan whose earliest memories coincide with the '93 NFCC loss vs Dallas, so I remember plenty of playoff letdowns throughout the 90s. What hurts me the most about the loss is that, although I was ecstatic with the winning year and enjoying it immensely, I never truly believed we had something special going until VD caught the TD vs. the Saints. Then, especially with the NFC at home vs the NYG, I felt very confident that we were going to the SB.

I've just been in a general funk and foul mood for the past two weeks. I really felt like we had a chance, and I was so excited in the run up to the kickoff. As the game goes on, it becomes apparent that our simple formula for success is beginning to work as we take the lead heading into the 4th quarter. The D is playing lights out. The fans are going nuts, the D has all the momentum, everything is on our side. Then moronic KW commits the most egregious PR error in history, completely changing the complexion of the game. I don't want to hear ever again about 1-13, the fact is that KW's unconscionable muff took a giant, steaming s**t upon the our winning formula--which was gonna send us to the SB. A couple of missed opportunities on O, then KW fumbles AGAIN ending the game and season.

The worst part of the whole thing is that the Giants were not the better team. Both D's played lights out, but ours was better. Only one player cost us the game, and we all know who he is. I have never seen a team less deserving of SB berth than the Giants, and we've gotten 2 weeks of ESPN slurping NY and Eli. Yeah, Eli hung tough vs. the rush, but he also threw 2 sure INTs that our D unfortunately broke up. Yet now he's about to be the greatest QB ever. And I can't stand the s**t-talking Giants, who only reached the SB due to the errors of one player who tried to play hero and layer and egg. I hope they get rocked in the SB.

I know that I'll eventually get over it, but I just feel irritated and annoyed; I was in such a great mood prior the game, during the playoff run and now I just can't get the loss out of my head. The ongoing media coverage doesn't help, and I know I'll be happy once its over. But, this was our year. We had everything aline in our favor. KW squandered a great opportunity and a great story. With an improving division and conference, plus the way everything went our way all year, I don't feel that confident that we'll be in a similar position a year from now.
Originally posted by merm49:
I've never taken a 49er loss harder than this one, and I've been a diehard fan whose earliest memories coincide with the '93 NFCC loss vs Dallas, so I remember plenty of playoff letdowns throughout the 90s. What hurts me the most about the loss is that, although I was ecstatic with the winning year and enjoying it immensely, I never truly believed we had something special going until VD caught the TD vs. the Saints. Then, especially with the NFC at home vs the NYG, I felt very confident that we were going to the SB.

I've just been in a general funk and foul mood for the past two weeks. I really felt like we had a chance, and I was so excited in the run up to the kickoff. As the game goes on, it becomes apparent that our simple formula for success is beginning to work as we take the lead heading into the 4th quarter. The D is playing lights out. The fans are going nuts, the D has all the momentum, everything is on our side. Then moronic KW commits the most egregious PR error in history, completely changing the complexion of the game. I don't want to hear ever again about 1-13, the fact is that KW's unconscionable muff took a giant, steaming s**t upon the our winning formula--which was gonna send us to the SB. A couple of missed opportunities on O, then KW fumbles AGAIN ending the game and season.

The worst part of the whole thing is that the Giants were not the better team. Both D's played lights out, but ours was better. Only one player cost us the game, and we all know who he is. I have never seen a team less deserving of SB berth than the Giants, and we've gotten 2 weeks of ESPN slurping NY and Eli. Yeah, Eli hung tough vs. the rush, but he also threw 2 sure INTs that our D unfortunately broke up. Yet now he's about to be the greatest QB ever. And I can't stand the s**t-talking Giants, who only reached the SB due to the errors of one player who tried to play hero and layer and egg. I hope they get rocked in the SB.

I know that I'll eventually get over it, but I just feel irritated and annoyed; I was in such a great mood prior the game, during the playoff run and now I just can't get the loss out of my head. The ongoing media coverage doesn't help, and I know I'll be happy once its over. But, this was our year. We had everything aline in our favor. KW squandered a great opportunity and a great story. With an improving division and conference, plus the way everything went our way all year, I don't feel that confident that we'll be in a similar position a year from now.

I agree with a lot of what you said.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by pelos21:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Still not any better all these days later. LOL. What a devastating loss. I really can't stand the way we lost. It's one thing to get beat. It's another thing to hand the other team the game at home in the NFC Championship game. After a decade of losing no less. We had a really legitimate shot to go the Super Bowl. I honestly don't know if I have ever taken a loss harder than this one. I'd say this is the hardest loss of all time as a 49er fan. At least in the past 15 years anyway. Easily. Nothing else compares.

THIS...I think I have PTSD...

That

If you guys intend to watch the sujper bowl. it won't provide any closure.

I'm going to watch it. But I'm not sure I should. Still not any better. LOL. Not sure it will get better until the SB is over. And the media stops talking about it.

"WHAT'S YORU DEAL!" Would have been epic to see Jim Harbaugh and the Niners win the Super Bowl
and Bill Belichick being bittered and having to shake hands with Harbaugh after the game: these two would have went at it!
[ Edited by cris_sonic on Feb 3, 2012 at 9:04 PM ]

I agree with just about everything you said.

I will not get over this loss until we win a Super Bowl...and in my opinion, that is not going to happen with our current core. This was our best chance at a SB.

Unless a team has a franchise/elite QB, chances at SBs are few and far between. I don't see us getting this close for another 10 years.

I will not get over this loss until we win a Super Bowl...and in my opinion, that is not going to happen with our current core. This was our best chance at a SB.

Unless a team has a franchise/elite QB, chances at SBs are few and far between. I don't see us getting this close for another 10 years.

Not true. Eli won the SB with stats less than Alex this year.
Originally posted by SportsFan:

Dude stop. AS is nowhere near Eli and never will be...and that isn't a slight towards AS...Eli also played amazing down the stretch in '07 so there's no comparison.
Originally posted by SportsFan:

Dude stop. AS is nowhere near Eli and never will be...and that isn't a slight towards AS...Eli also played amazing down the stretch in '07 so there's no comparison.

No he didn't. For instance in the NFC championship he threw for 254 no TDs and 50% completion. In the SB he threw 2 TDs 1 int about 55% completion and 250 yards.
And i am not saying Eli hasn't gotten extremely better but at the time he was what Alex was to us this year.

I am just tired of all these so called fans thinking that this year was a flash in the pan and we won't get an opportunity like this for 10 years.

I will never be over it. It's a s**tty way to lose especially coming off the huge win vs the Saints. It's a killer way to lose because we caused our own funeral. Whether it was one player (K Williams), or the ref screwed us for the fumble but our offense couldn't get it done time and time again in the second half. So it's a missed opportunity that they will never forget. Talk about a motivator next year for the team!!!!!! Holy Crap. Do you think it's going to burn in their hearts, especially if the Giants win the Super Bowl! So yes it's a bitter pill to swallow.

However, we had a fantastic year! We have Jim harbaugh signed for the next 4 years. We have a great young team and we have cap room to sign most of our guys and a lot will return and take a little less money. How quickly people forget that we were in the dark ages for the last 9 years!!!!!!!!!! Not even a winning season in 9 years. And everyone counted us out!!!! All of the "experts" said we were going to suck because we didn't have enough time. Man it would have been great to shut up the east coast media and beat the Giants, but it didn't happen.

But our future couldn't be brighter going forward because we will have a FULL offseason. Just having that is going to be HUGE for us and hopefully crabtree can finally get on the same page as Alex. Not having any preseason for these years has got to stunt your growth as a player.

And you know that Jimmy Harbaugh is going to make it his personal mission to make our offense GO next year. I predict potentially 3 new starters for us on offense (2WR?, TE (over Delanie), OG?) and a quality semi starter RB bigger than Gore or Hunter.

So now we get to turn towards the draft as our next focus for the Niners......it can't come fast enough.
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:
I will never be over it. It's a s**tty way to lose especially coming off the huge win vs the Saints. It's a killer way to lose because we caused our own funeral. Whether it was one player (K Williams), or the ref screwed us for the fumble but our offense couldn't get it done time and time again in the second half. So it's a missed opportunity that they will never forget. Talk about a motivator next year for the team!!!!!! Holy Crap. Do you think it's going to burn in their hearts, especially if the Giants win the Super Bowl! So yes it's a bitter pill to swallow.

However, we had a fantastic year! We have Jim harbaugh signed for the next 4 years. We have a great young team and we have cap room to sign most of our guys and a lot will return and take a little less money. How quickly people forget that we were in the dark ages for the last 9 years!!!!!!!!!! Not even a winning season in 9 years. And everyone counted us out!!!! All of the "experts" said we were going to suck because we didn't have enough time. Man it would have been great to shut up the east coast media and beat the Giants, but it didn't happen.

But our future couldn't be brighter going forward because we will have a FULL offseason. Just having that is going to be HUGE for us and hopefully crabtree can finally get on the same page as Alex. Not having any preseason for these years has got to stunt your growth as a player.

And you know that Jimmy Harbaugh is going to make it his personal mission to make our offense GO next year. I predict potentially 3 new starters for us on offense (2WR?, TE (over Delanie), OG?) and a quality semi starter RB bigger than Gore or Hunter.

So now we get to turn towards the draft as our next focus for the Niners......it can't come fast enough.

Agree and love your optimism; I just hope it comes to pass. The only thing getting me through this loss is the fact that Harbaugh has had early and then sustained success at every place he's coached. I'm hoping we can become like his bro's team and morph into a perennial SB contender (of course, actually making the damn game though lol) or like Tomlin with the Steelers, who rejuvenated that team, won a SB in his 2nd year and been to another since.
You only get one shot....it's not like the old days....the stars really have to align in your favor. People should also keep in mind the NFC is deeper than the AFC right now, much harder road to toe. We won't be back for at least 2 - 3 years.
Originally posted by Ninerbowl6:
You only get one shot....it's not like the old days....the stars really have to align in your favor. People should also keep in mind the NFC is deeper than the AFC right now, much harder road to toe. We won't be back for at least 2 - 3 years.

thanks, now i'll just save money on nfl sunday ticket and tune in for 2015 season
Originally posted by Ninerbowl6:

Yeah the NFC has the Packers, Saints, Giants and 49ers. That's a tough conference.

The AFC has only the Patriots. The Ravens don't have much offense. The Jets have really dropped off. The Colts dropped off the earth. Honestly the Patriots could do it like 3 years in a row. There is NOBODY to challenge them in the AFC.
Share 49ersWebzone