There are 59 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Blame Game

• MILFS
  • Veteran
We got screwed by William's butter fingers.
Originally posted by est1985:
It's funny how people blame the offense. Points are at a premium in the playoffs; very hard to come by. Look at the patriots. That's why this was a horrible call. Quit looking at it from a "replay" point of view. In real time, it's a fumble. Hochili can suck on a fat one.

3rd down efficiency helps you put up points. 1-13 on 3rd down limited how many drives resulted in points. The offense deserves some blame.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
It looked like the Giants RB was clearly up. Not down. And they blew the whistle early. The ball clearly came out. We would have had the ball around the 20 yard line. Maybe a field goal to win....

This. QFT
No we didn't! We screwed ourselves.
When you watch the play in real-time speed, it's crazy how quickly that ball was stripped out. I wonder how much the ref will be getting paid for helping out the Giants? Bonus checks from the NFL and Fox?
Originally posted by susweel:
No I think the call was correct his forward progress was stopped.

stopping immediate forward progress is not the intent of the rule, but it has been used like that for some weird calls. Call was not correct, how many times are you coached to hold up offensive players so another player can strip, or how many times do qbs on sneaks or rbs in tough runs get their 'forward progress' stopped for 1-2 seconds but it isnt blown dead and they seem to escape for more yards.
Originally posted by vamphunter23:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong Brees and Manning dropped back to pass 130 times and the Saints and Giants were called for holding 2 times?

ya that was ridiculous their was holding all game, but there has been missed holding calls all year that we had been able to survive. I feel bad because it doesnt feel like we were beat, more we beat ourselves.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
It looked like the Giants RB was clearly up. Not down. And they blew the whistle early. The ball clearly came out. We would have had the ball around the 20 yard line. Maybe a field goal to win....

Exactly! Whatever happened to letting the players play! Especially in the last 2 minutes of the NFC champonship game! The whistle was way to fast! Watch it in real time, not as a replay and it's easy to see that the whistle was way too fast! He was still fighting hard for yards and they were already in the process of stripping the ball when they blew the whistle! Why not let the players and the play on the field decide the outcome of the game! What a novel concept! On this big a stage and at this late in the game the refs should really only blow the whistle when it's very obvious the play is over. I mean is somebody ever going to complain that a game was decided on a non forward progress call! The refs should be ashamed of themselves for not letting the play of the field decide the outcome. You could tell they knew they messed up because they conferred for so long afterward trying to find a way to let us challenge it. I'm really suprised that more on the webzone don't feel this way! I thought I would get home from the game and this would have everyone on the webzone pissed off! I agree there were other problems but we still put ourselves in position to win and made a big play that woulve almost gaurenteed a win but it wasn't allowed to count or be reviewed because over a ref with an over zealous whistle and a stupid replay rule!
[ Edited by Ramp19smoker on Jan 23, 2012 at 1:19 AM ]
i think people need to watch the play again the ref doesnt blow the whistle until the ball is out. he waits til he sees the ball coming out then he blows the whistle we did get screwed.
Originally posted by Ramp19smoker:
Exactly! Whatever happened to letting the players play! Especially in the last 2 minutes of the NFC champonship game! The whistle was way to fast! Watch it in real time, not as a replay and it's easy to see that the whistle was way too fast! He was still fighting hard for yards and they were already in the process of stripping the ball when they blew the whistle! Why not let the players and the play on the field decide the outcome of the game! What a novel concept! On this big a stage and at this late in the game the refs should really only blow the whistle when it's very obvious the play is over. I mean is somebody ever going to complain that a game was decided on a non forward progress call! The refs should be ashamed of themselves for not letting the play of the field decide the outcome. You could tell they knew they messed up because they conferred for so long afterward trying to find a way to let us challenge it. I'm really suprised that more on the webzone don't feel this way!
Yep, 110% agree. I remember the day when forward progress wasn't blown dead until the guy was being pushed back 10 yards by 5 defenders while he was still straight up in the air. Now the microsecond you go backwards, let's blow it dead. It didn't just cost us... the Lions had a td return on a Brees fumble type throw that was returned for a TD that they blew dead at the spot of the recovery. One other team (can't remember) had a play blown dead that cost them. It happens all the time though.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SealTeam6:
Originally posted by kingairta:
And who would take williams place had he been yanked?

Kendall Hunter

Not sure if Reggie Smith was even active
but he returned some punts in the past.
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:
Dixon will be gone next year. Niners will draft a big running back that hits the hole hard but.........WHY NOT RUN FRANK GORE INSTEAD OF DIXON. He was running well the whole game. The passing game was struggling. NO ROLL OUTS for Alex Smith. Roman called a horrible game for our last five possessions, he kept going deep when that isn't our strength. Throw quicker passes and get the ball out ,, That's west coast offense. Really frustrating. I was at the game today. It all went downhill after K Williams got close to the punt. WHY IN THE HELL DID HE DO THAT???????? But then we had our chances to win but we couldn't get anything going and played into the strengh of the Giants who got to just rush the passer and not think about the run. SO PISSED OFF RIGHT NOW!!!!! We should have won the game. Defense stepped up huge in the second half.

With that being said, it was a great run for the Niners. We did it this year with a great defense and special teams and a pathetic but mistake free O. And today we made the mistakes with the fumbles and it cost us the game.
Man...do I agree with this...

With the pressure the Giants were putting on Alex, asking him to take deep drops on a wet field when the receivers were not able to get any separation...was not putting him in a position to succeed. I was wondering what happened to the screen passes to Hunter...effective all season. At the very least they could have just done simple slants to their TEs and wideouts... The playcalling was definitely questionable at times....and I also think the team played "not to lose". The coaches and players could have and should have been more aggressive. I would have thought they would have learned that from the Dallas game earlier in the season.

This is a painful loss on a lot of levels because the defense played championship caliber football today.....an absolutely magnificent performance. Those guys did not deserve to have the team lose in the way that it did.

Not to be redundant but....The First Rule of Championship Games is....DON'T TURN THE BALL OVER......guess Williams didn't get the memo. I love the kid but that was pretty inexcusable...and he should have been reminded to protect the ball at all costs in OT.

A great season ended prematurely IMHO..... This was a game that was very winnable.....and should have been won.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by Ramp19smoker:
Exactly! Whatever happened to letting the players play! Especially in the last 2 minutes of the NFC champonship game! The whistle was way to fast! Watch it in real time, not as a replay and it's easy to see that the whistle was way too fast! He was still fighting hard for yards and they were already in the process of stripping the ball when they blew the whistle! Why not let the players and the play on the field decide the outcome of the game! What a novel concept! On this big a stage and at this late in the game the refs should really only blow the whistle when it's very obvious the play is over. I mean is somebody ever going to complain that a game was decided on a non forward progress call! The refs should be ashamed of themselves for not letting the play of the field decide the outcome. You could tell they knew they messed up because they conferred for so long afterward trying to find a way to let us challenge it. I'm really suprised that more on the webzone don't feel this way!
Yep, 110% agree. I remember the day when forward progress wasn't blown dead until the guy was being pushed back 10 yards by 5 defenders while he was still straight up in the air. Now the microsecond you go backwards, let's blow it dead. It didn't just cost us... the Lions had a td return on a Brees fumble type throw that was returned for a TD that they blew dead at the spot of the recovery. One other team (can't remember) had a play blown dead that cost them. It happens all the time though.

Yeah if you can't let the players play and be physical in the last 2 minutes of the NFC championship game they might as well change it to NFFL! The National Flag Football League!
[ Edited by Ramp19smoker on Jan 23, 2012 at 1:30 AM ]
Originally posted by FRANKBLANCO415:
i think people need to watch the play again the ref doesnt blow the whistle until the ball is out. he waits til he sees the ball coming out then he blows the whistle we did get screwed.

agreed, I watched that play over and over and the ref blows it dead late, right after the ball was stripped out. s**tty call, that was a strip. On the way to the ground he was stripped WTF?
Originally posted by Wubbie:
In regards to Kyle Williams, I've felt he's a bit of a risk-taker when it comes to fielding punts. And today it hurt us. Seely and Harbaugh should've tried to rein him in and get it under control. Who makes a DIVING catch for a punt when you could just call fair catch, run away, and yell at your teammates to get away?

In regards to the playcalling... the only thing I can say, in hindsight, is that we got away from the run game too much in the fourth quarter and overtime. I think that's an inexperience thing. They probably "felt" like they were in a shootout and went into passing mode. We ran the ball very well on first and second down, for the most part, throughout the game.

amen.................
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home