There are 142 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The 49ers second touchdown drive at the end was unnecessary

Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Strange thing to say coming from Bill Walsh.

Running the clock, kicking a field goal, forcing the Saints to march down the field with 30 seconds left, is not worth talking about as a strategy?

I thought of it as well but you guys want to go up 2 with :30 left? It's tough but they would just need a field goal. Honestly, could have went either way but as good as Akers is a field goal isn't guaranteed. A bad snap, bad hold, miss, block and everyone is then making death threats against Alex for not scoring.

Actually its a moot point as far as strategy, so never mind the game itself. They couldn't plan to get a first down because it was 3rd and 8 I think, they just needed to get 8+ yards, whether is was first down or touchdown.

It was nobody's fault. But the SITUATION of being up by two, kicking to the Saints with 30 sec to go is preferable to being up by 5/7 and kicking to them with 2:05 to go.

Technically, it was probably better for Alex to slide. Lol. But if he did that, like you said, and we LOST the game, it would have been the end of him. Alex did the right thing. But its interesting to look at the situation.
This thread is unnecessary. Fans can be so fickle, we WON the game! And in much more dramatic and awesome fashion than just kicking a FG.
Originally posted by zillabeast:
well maybe if the defense had stopped Jimmy Graham it would not have been an issue

I love Willis. I wore his jersey yesterday. He got dominated though.

i wouldnt say dominated the whole game on that play maybe. he had good coverage on the play and then went down. it was sad, and he even admitted how upset he was after that play and was thankful for smith and davis to pick him up with that td. better make sure he doesnt get wind of you saying he got dominated, all i picture is you waking up in the middle of the night with him standing next to your bed lol "what did you say!"
Originally posted by fryet:
Obviously we won the game, so you can't complain about how things turned out, however think about how things were looking at that point:

49ers are up by 5 with 2:11 to go and Saints had 1 time out (obvously we would have had to trust our All Pro kicker to make a chip shot FG). Aren't you a bit worried about the Saints marching down the field and scoring a touchdown? They have the time, but they are going up against our outstanding defense.

Or, we could have been up by 2 and given the ball to the Saints with 30 seconds left and no time outs. Their kicker doesn't have much range, so they would need to get inside the 30 to have a decent shot to kick a FG. So 50 yards in 30 seconds would have been a huge challenge even for the Saints offense.

In my opinion, the odds of winning are much higher in the second scenario than in the first. In most situations in the first scenario, the Saints would have scored the TD with very little time on the clock, but as it turned out they scored quickly enough for Alex Smith and VD to be able to march down the field.

P.S. Nice video (:
So after we made that touchdown how long did it take for them to score? Cause if alex would have done what your saying then they would have scored in that timespan and we would have been the ones screwed. Imo
well maybe if the defense had stopped Jimmy Graham it would not have been an issue

What game did you watch? Willis got dominated .... haha. Please learn football before posting. The first TD was a perfect throw. No way to defend that. Basically same with the second. Whitner screwed that one.
Originally posted by SportsFan:

What game did you watch? Willis got dominated .... haha. Please learn football before posting. The first TD was a perfect throw. No way to defend that. Basically same with the second. Whitner screwed that one.

Dude, giving up two TD's in a game that close is dominated.

Just fuel for the fire. He knows what he has to do to step up his game.
  • rede
  • Veteran
how long did it take Brees to score after Alex's TD run?

...... exactly.
This thread is f**king stupid as hell

For a moment I tried wrapping my mind around someone whining like this after a historic win that even Terry Bradshaw said put Alex Smith in rare company, he pointed the ceiling and said "boop."

But amazingly there are still whiny pieces of crap out there trying to justify their error of bashing Smith.

Still can't handle the truth eh?

Whiny Smith bashers -

You were wrong.

And we are sick of you.

Go root for the raiders.
I think its funny how some people complained about needing to make touchdowns cause fieldgoals wont do it in the playoffs but now they want a feildgoal.lol smh. That game is the past. Its literally in the history books. Let it be.
I think its funny how some people complained about needing to make touchdowns cause fieldgoals wont do it in the playoffs but now they want a feildgoal.lol smh. That game is the past. Its literally in the history books. Let it be.
Well you see...

nevermind
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
Well you see...

nevermind

I'm with sincalfaithful ... wow, I can't belive I'm actually posting on this forum, just happened to see this referred to on the espn board ... been niner and football fan since i was 8 years old living in SF at the corner of bush and leavenworth in '79 and every time I see a statement like this I think how 0.001 percent of people here actually played football at college level or higher and large majority never played at all ... you never assume anything as a player unless given direct command from the head coach (unless your coach is Schottenheimer ... okay a cheap shot) ... indeed for many other reasons "this thread is f**king stupid as hell"