There are 226 users in the forums

The 49ers second touchdown drive at the end was unnecessary

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • fryet
  • Veteran
First off, major kudos to Alex Smith and Vernon Davis for doing it anyway, however think about this scenario instead.

Instead of Alex Smith running 28 yards for a touchdown, he instead runs for 26 and stays in bounds.

New Orleans only has one time out left. So alex gets tackled, and the clock ticks down to the 2 minute warning. The 49ers kneel down or do running plays that don't product a touchdown, with New Orleans calling one time out. The 49ers would kick a field goal on 4th down and then kick the ball back to New Orleans. Depending on how long it took to execute those 3 kneel downs, the Saints would get the ball back with 30 seconds, and no time outs, being forced to kick a field goal to win. I like the 49ers chances in that scenario.

Fortunately for the 49ers the Saints scored very quickly and gave the ball back to SF offense with enough time to complete that winning drive, but it could have been avoided if Alex had done the unthinkable and avoided going into the end zone in the first place.
Originally posted by fryet:
First off, major kudos to Alex Smith and Vernon Davis for doing it anyway, however think about this scenario instead.

Instead of Alex Smith running 28 yards for a touchdown, he instead runs for 26 and stays in bounds.

New Orleans only has one time out left. So alex gets tackled, and the clock ticks down to the 2 minute warning. The 49ers kneel down or do running plays that don't product a touchdown, with New Orleans calling one time out. The 49ers would kick a field goal on 4th down and then kick the ball back to New Orleans. Depending on how long it took to execute those 3 kneel downs, the Saints would get the ball back with 30 seconds, and no time outs, being forced to kick a field goal to win. I like the 49ers chances in that scenario.

Fortunately for the 49ers the Saints scored very quickly and gave the ball back to SF offense with enough time to complete that winning drive, but it could have been avoided if Alex had done the unthinkable and avoided going into the end zone in the first place.

well maybe if the defense had stopped Jimmy Graham it would not have been an issue

I love Willis. I wore his jersey yesterday. He got dominated though.
wow.....
What if in those 30 seconds the Saints got in field goal range and kicked the field goal.
......?
Yeah we might as well stop short of the end zone.
Especially with our ability to score in the red zone.

Your right. I was expecting them to just hand the ball off and kick the field goal. But field goals can get blocked, so if you are behind in the game and you see an opportunity to score the TD, you have to take it.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Jan 15, 2012 at 8:12 PM ]
  • Adman
  • Veteran
What if we missed the field goal? We lose!!!!!!!!

Uh-oh, Saints fan still crying his eyes out it looks like.

Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Uh-oh, Saints fan still crying his eyes out it looks like.

No it doesn't.
It looks like a 49er fan looking at the game from a different perspective.
Originally posted by JayDAche:
No it doesn't.
It looks like a 49er fan looking at the game from a different perspective.

There was the slightest possibility of an insinuation that Alex Smith was involved with an incident that might have been more favorable if some other course of action was taken.

KILL THE MAN AND RAPE HIS FAMILY!!!
Be serious bro. If Alex does that s**t and we lose the game, a certain poster named Brian would be having a field day.
Originally posted by 1251alex:
Be serious bro. If Alex does that s**t and we lose the game, a certain poster named Brian would be having a field day.

If Smith was stupid enough to run out of bounds, instead of going for the easy touchdown, AND we lost the game because of it. My posts would get drowned out by every poster in this forum seeking to hang Alex Smith from the highest tree. At that point, I would be one of the few defending him (then I'd be a "homer", or Alex Smith lover, or whatever fit the current tide).
[ Edited by BrianGO on Jan 15, 2012 at 8:28 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone