LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 296 users in the forums

WPXI Pittsburg: Source: Roman a Finalist for PSU Job--O'Brien to stay with Pats

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I don't see Roman going anywhere this year unless it's as a college HC.

I'm more worried about losing some of our position coaches to teams looking for coordinators, namely Tomsula, Donatell, Chryst or Leavitt.
Despite popular belief, Greg Roman was never Andrew Luck's OC. His title while at Stanford was Associate Head Coach/Asst., Head Coach Off. /TE/OT. Stanford's current head coach, David Shaw, was Luck's OC under Hardbaugh. So taking Roman as head coach just because of Luck really has little merit. Hiring Shaw would make more sense but who knows, as history has shown, there's some pretty stupid owners and GMs out there.
[ Edited by vermonator on Jan 2, 2012 at 8:53 AM ]
Long before noln was hired, I posted that our HC has to be our OC, in that many OC get hired away to become HCs. When a DC is hired away as HC, usually , bad things happen...noln being a great example. So if Roman goes, we still have our HC calling our plays. I still believe that when the game is close, Coach Harbaugh is making the calls anyway. So if roman stays, fine. If he goes, fine. OCs here who went on to become HCs, incl Mike McCarthy, Nervous Norvous Turner, one of which was a bust, and the other successful...very sucessful. Keep in mind that sean Payton was cowboy's OC, and could have stayed with Dallas had HC been offered to him, but instead went to N.O. where he had full reign. Roman stays, roman goes...no big deal.
I dont see Roman going anywhere. For one thing he cant be talked to for at least two more weeks. That would mean probably at least 3 weeks before he would sign. Of course that is based on us losing the first game. If we win that pushes it back further. Thats a long time to go without a headcoach and most dont want to wait. We all know about waiting to long to get your coaches none of the good ones are available after a week or so.
Next man up.

Originally posted by vermonator:
Despite popular belief, Greg Roman was never Andrew Luck's OC. His title while at Stanford was Associate Head Coach/Asst., Head Coach Off. /TE/OT. Stanford's current head coach, David Shaw, was Luck's OC under Hardbaugh. So taking Roman as head coach just because of Luck really has little merit. Hiring Shaw would make more sense but who knows, as history has shown, there's some pretty stupid owners and GMs out there.

Actually Greg, David, and JH called the plays at Stanford. David called all the passing plays and Greg called the running plays. Jim had veto power and made his own play calls. I have also heard that Andrew knew offense so well he made some of his own play calls.
Originally posted by redrathman:
Next man up.

I agree that he would be the obvious choice.
Charley Casserly @CasserlyCBS4m Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
O'Brien- Won't be going to Penn State. Greg Roman SF Off Coord has been interviewed. Penn St to take another shot at Peterson(Boise)
From same Penn State source... Clements (Packers QB Coach) and Roman (49ers OC) are finalists for #PSU job... Hearing OBrien (Patriots OC) wants to stay in NFL
http://twitter.com/#!/RichieWalsh/status/153959944817868801
[ Edited by global_nomad on Jan 2, 2012 at 3:03 PM ]
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Every freaking year.

I have learned 49ers OC Greg Roman is candidate for Penn State job.He interviewed month ago, recently talked again w/PSU.
http://twitter.com/#!/BTNTomDienhart/status/153899638225764352
Top candidate?
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Top candidate?

sorry I changed it. He keeps talking with them. That shows mutual interest????
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

At least we have Jim Harbaugh!
He's gone....Maybe we can bring back Norv Turner and start the cycle all over again
Share 49ersWebzone