LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 287 users in the forums

WPXI Pittsburg: Source: Roman a Finalist for PSU Job--O'Brien to stay with Pats

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I just watching all these possible HC vacancies and one in paticular jumped out at me. The Colts have Andrew Luck staring them in the face. The best way for them to hit the ground running is bringing in someone that is familiar with him. Now our offense wasn't blowing anybody out. With someone like Andrew and the weapons that the Colts have on there team would be a very formidable opponent really quick. If they let Caldwell go I think Greg Roman will at the very least be on their radar. I know we have JH but I would hate losing another OC. Oh well, only time will tell.
Sure, why not.
Possible, just like McCarthy getting hired by GB. I thought McCarthy got booted out of New Orleans with his complex schemes and remember Bill Walsh commenting that whatever the offense he ran with the 9ers was not the West Coast offense (this was in an interview where he wasn't happy with Tim Rattay being let go and Alex starting as a rookie). But this time around, we have Jim Harbaugh and if Roman goes, the continuity will still be there. JH is less hands on the defensive side, but Vic Fangio doesn't seem to be the HC type.
Originally posted by ninerball:
Possible, just like McCarthy getting hired by GB. I thought McCarthy got booted out of New Orleans with his complex schemes and remember Bill Walsh commenting that whatever the offense he ran with the 9ers was not the West Coast offense (this was in an interview where he wasn't happy with Tim Rattay being let go and Alex starting as a rookie). But this time around, we have Jim Harbaugh and if Roman goes, the continuity will still be there. JH is less hands on the defensive side, but Vic Fangio doesn't seem to be the HC type.

I am glad we have JH. If we do lose Greg Roman I wonder if JH will take larger role in the play calling. I know we are getting ahead of our selves. I think that it is going to be interesting to see what happens after we win the Super Bowl!!!
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Seems very unlikely. I know people, especially the tv analysts, like to make surface judgments but those hiring HCs will see that in yardage we are still bottom 10 and slightly worse than last year, only scoring 5 more pts. a game mainly due to improved D&ST and turnover differential.
Originally posted by vaden:
Seems very unlikely. I know people, especially the tv analysts, like to make surface judgments but those hiring HCs will see that in yardage we are still bottom 10 and slightly worse than last year, only scoring 5 more pts. a game mainly due to improved D&ST and turnover differential.

That's why I commented about McCarthy. Do you remember how atrocious our offense was in 2005? Anything's possible in this league where losing teams want the mojo of the winning teams.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
^ Good point.
Originally posted by ninerball:
Originally posted by vaden:

That's why I commented about McCarthy. Do you remember how atrocious our offense was in 2005? Anything's possible in this league where losing teams want the mojo of the winning teams.

Right, I would not be surprised if Roman gets offered a job. Especially since he has worked in the NFL before and he has been under JH for awhile.
I don't think Caldwell is going anywhere IMO - the Colts organization understands itself as a whole got itself into this 2011 situation by putting all its eggs in one basket. But other teams may be looking at Roman and, if Roman gets a HC job somewhere, best of luck to him and my thanks for his help in making 2011 a terrific year for the 9ers (hope he doesn't go anywhere, though).

NO i don't think so. Roman i don't think has done that much to merrit any HC jobs
49ers OC posiiton is more cursed then the defense against the dark arts position at hogwarts
Originally posted by gamechanger:

ha! i knew roman looked familiar..thanks for pointing it out lol
  • kray28
  • Veteran
If Roman gets hired away, I'm not exactly going to be losing too much sleep over it. Harbaugh basically runs the offense anyway.
Originally posted by gamechanger:

Yeah, totally see it

Roman is doing a good job of being patient with the offense and avoiding tendencies.
Share 49ersWebzone