**** BREAKING NEWS***** GOLDSON GOT THE FRANCHISE TAG

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by merm49:
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by sf49ersx11:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
All I know is Goldson shouldn't over play his hand. He's good not great. Dude definitly benefited from an insane passrush last year. I'd have to watch the tape again, but it may even be able to be argued that he caused us two interceptions in the NFCC trying to pad his stats. I can't totally blame him as each interception could have been worth about an extra million a year.

He's a Free Safety it's in his nature to want to make a big plays. That's what propelled us to "Elite Defense" status! C'MON MAN...
LIke I said, I'd have to watch the tape again. However, his job is to make plays, not collide into the CB that has a clear shot at getting a pick. Part of being an elite player is having control. Its no different than baseball if two outfielders are going for a fly ball. Someone has to call ball. I kind of felt as if Goldson was being reckless on both occations. If he didn't run into Brown, Eli probably doesn't throw a TD on Brock because Brown would still be in.

Eli threw to the WR, and the CB was there. I would think the CB should have priorty.

Has nothing to do with watching the tape. You clearly dont have any clue about the speed of the game if you have come to the conclusion that DG was trying to "pad his stats."

Dude even the KW supporters are embarrassed for you.

Schefter says the 9ers are gonna play tag with him... lol
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Dashon Goldson is an elite safety
Huge part of our defense, I really hope we sign him to a long term deal soon. Pay the man like he deserves, 5 years 35 mill do it!

To say hes good not great, is just dumb imo, top 5 safety for sure. True ball hawk and a hard hitter, he's got everything you want in your starting FS
[ Edited by ImaMod on Feb 25, 2012 at 10:53 PM ]
Originally posted by ImaMod:
Dashon Goldson is an elite safety
Huge part of our defense, I really hope we sign him to a long term deal soon. Pay the man like he deserves, 5 years 35 mill do it!

To say hes good not great, is just dumb imo, top 5 safety for sure. True ball hawk and a hard hitter, he's got everything you want in your starting FS

+1. Our defense the first 2 games of the season when he didn't play gave up like 44 points, or 22 PPG with both games at home. He came back and we finished the season giving up 14 PPG. That's a difference of 8 PPG, which is insane. He is coming into his prime too, no reason he won't continue playing at that level for the next 4-5 years.
Originally posted by merm49:
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Originally posted by sf49ersx11:
All I know is Goldson shouldn't over play his hand. He's good not great. Dude definitly benefited from an insane passrush last year. I'd have to watch the tape again, but it may even be able to be argued that he caused us two interceptions in the NFCC trying to pad his stats. I can't totally blame him as each interception could have been worth about an extra million a year.

He's a Free Safety it's in his nature to want to make a big plays. That's what propelled us to "Elite Defense" status! C'MON MAN...
LIke I said, I'd have to watch the tape again. However, his job is to make plays, not collide into the CB that has a clear shot at getting a pick. Part of being an elite player is having control. Its no different than baseball if two outfielders are going for a fly ball. Someone has to call ball. I kind of felt as if Goldson was being reckless on both occations. If he didn't run into Brown, Eli probably doesn't throw a TD on Brock because Brown would still be in.

Eli threw to the WR, and the CB was there. I would think the CB should have priorty.

Has nothing to do with watching the tape. You clearly dont have any clue about the speed of the game if you have come to the conclusion that DG was trying to "pad his stats."

Dude even the KW supporters are embarrassed for you.

Excuse me? Tell me that wasnt directed at me.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
+1. Our defense the first 2 games of the season when he didn't play gave up like 44 points, or 22 PPG with both games at home. He came back and we finished the season giving up 14 PPG. That's a difference of 8 PPG, which is insane. He is coming into his prime too, no reason he won't continue playing at that level for the next 4-5 years.

I agree

I agree

Yup
Originally posted by Joecool:

I agree

Yup

Yeah, I'm sure the fact they were learning a new D with no offseason and Madiu Williams sucking ass had nothing to do with it.

Look, I really like Goldson. I always have. I love his hard hitting style. However, when you have a defense as talented as ours, its difficult to tell how good anyone is. I think it's easy to overrate guys.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Feb 26, 2012 at 6:16 AM ]
Adam Schefter ‏ @AdamSchefter Close 49ers plan to use their franchise tag on safety Dashon Goldson. Franchise tag for a safety is $6.2 million.

We have until March 5th I think to franchise tag him if we can't get a deal done. After that they have until July 16th to work out a long term deal or he gets the 1 year 6.2 million dollar deal for the year. Hopefully we don't have to tag him again next year but then again he will be just turning 29 by the time next (2013 season) so if he doesn't work out a deal we might replace him. If we do get a deal done hopefully it's 5 years or less. If it's after the 2013 season we might have to reduce that to 3-4 years. Knowing him he wants Rolle and Weddle money. If he can't compromise I might just tag him the next two years and let him go.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Adam Schefter ‏ @AdamSchefter Close 49ers plan to use their franchise tag on safety Dashon Goldson. Franchise tag for a safety is $6.2 million.

We have until March 5th I think to franchise tag him if we can't get a deal done. After that they have until July 16th to work out a long term deal or he gets the 1 year 6.2 million dollar deal for the year. Hopefully we don't have to tag him again next year but then again he will be just turning 29 by the time next (2013 season) so if he doesn't work out a deal we might replace him. If we do get a deal done hopefully it's 5 years or less. If it's after the 2013 season we might have to reduce that to 3-4 years. Knowing him he wants Rolle and Weddle money. If he can't compromise I might just tag him the next two years and let him go.

i thought the new cba limits franchising a guy only once

I can't find anything with google... although I have heard that before but can't confirm it.

Edit: Wrong on the tender idea.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Feb 26, 2012 at 7:36 PM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:

I can't find anything with google... although I have heard that before but can't confirm it. If not I would think we could tender him at a 1st rounder or even 2nd. Then if someone offers him a deal we can match it or let him go and receive that pick as compensation. Just means if nobody offers a deal I think we have to pay a really high price... obviously the 1st round tender would cost more than a 2nd.

You won't be able to tender him anything because he'll have enough seasons accrued. All you need is 4 seasons accrued to be a UFA in the new CBA dude.
I'm with Oakland-Niner on this one. I want to retain Goldson but I don't think that he's the absolute perfect FS.
  • Paul
  • Veteran
dude almost went to the Patriots am I right? glad that he came back and had a solid season. I want all of our defense back as much as possible
You won't be able to tender him anything because he'll have enough seasons accrued. All you need is 4 seasons accrued to be a UFA in the new CBA dude.

Thanks for that.
Share 49ersWebzone