LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 219 users in the forums

**** BREAKING NEWS***** GOLDSON GOT THE FRANCHISE TAG

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
All I know is Goldson shouldn't over play his hand. He's good not great. Dude definitly benefited from an insane passrush last year. I'd have to watch the tape again, but it may even be able to be argued that he caused us two interceptions in the NFCC trying to pad his stats. I can't totally blame him as each interception could have been worth about an extra million a year.

• sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by Hopper:
i don't follow, last year rosenhaus had goldson turn down the niners 25 mil offer.

yep.

the agent works for the player not the other way around

lol then goldson wouldn't have left rosenhaus, since of course he wasn't calling the shots. simple logic

i thought their contract was up and goldson simply choose not to re-up. at any rate the agents job is to negotiate and advise and maybe even relay decisoins on their clients behalf they dont call the final shot imho

Didn't Goldson switch to Rosenhaus in the middle of last season? IMO Goldson already watched Rosenhaus fail with 2 teams(us and the pats) regarding a long deal and he didn't want to go through the same thing.

Some players give their agents full autonomy regarding their contracts, while others insist that their agent is simply a mouthpiece for the players wishes. Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Rosenhaus had a reputation for being in complete control of his clients contracts and not a mouthpiece.

dont know which classification he falls under

I've always heard that he plays hardball for about every client, trying to squeeze every cent out for them, thats why I think he is from "in-control" group and not the "mouthpiece" group.

All I know is Goldson shouldn't over play his hand. He's good not great. Dude definitly benefited from an insane passrush last year. I'd have to watch the tape again, but it may even be able to be argued that he caused us two interceptions in the NFCC trying to pad his stats. I can't totally blame him as each interception could have been worth about an extra million a year.

Not necessarily the pass rush but the entire defensive scheme emphasizes bottlenecking the outside WRs. Both safeties routinely play directly over the outside receivers that way the CBs can play underneath and jump routes(thats how Rogers got the bulk of his picks), when the QBs adjust for this and throw high or try and lead the WR the safeties jump the route and get the INT, big hit, PD etc(again this is how Goldson got most of his picks). Teams will recognize that both Rogers' and Goldson's numbers are inflated due to the scheme, it'll be very hard for either of them to get paid extremely well unless the team intends to use them in a similar scheme. Rogers' ability to defend the slot on nickel situations will boost his value but I still dont see him walking away for "big money".
[ Edited by sfout on Feb 24, 2012 at 4:16 PM ]

He's a Free Safety it's in his nature to want to make a big plays. That's what propelled us to "Elite Defense" status! C'MON MAN...
Originally posted by sf49ersx11:

He's a Free Safety it's in his nature to want to make a big plays. That's what propelled us to "Elite Defense" status! C'MON MAN...
LIke I said, I'd have to watch the tape again. However, his job is to make plays, not collide into the CB that has a clear shot at getting a pick. Part of being an elite player is having control. Its no different than baseball if two outfielders are going for a fly ball. Someone has to call ball. I kind of felt as if Goldson was being reckless on both occations. If he didn't run into Brown, Eli probably doesn't throw a TD on Brock because Brown would still be in.

Eli threw to the WR, and the CB was there. I would think the CB should have priorty.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Feb 24, 2012 at 4:40 PM ]
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

LIke I said, I'd have to watch the tape again. However, his job is to make plays, not collide into the CB that has a clear shot at getting a pick. Part of being an elite player is having control. Its no different than baseball if two outfielders are going for a fly ball. Someone has to call ball. I kind of felt as if Goldson was being reckless on both occations. If he didn't run into Brown, Eli probably doesn't throw a TD on Brock because Brown would still be in.

Eli threw to the WR, and the CB was there. I would think the CB should have priorty.

s**t happens.

Also, your argument goes both ways. There were quite a few coverage sacks this last season.
They have until 3/5 to come to an agreement otherwise he has to be tagged. They then have until 7/16 to work out a long term deal. If not he gets the 1 year franchise tag price.

Anyways, I would rather sign Goldson than Rogers because we would be ok with Brown and Culliver and then a rookie. However, at FS I don't know if Spillman is ready and there are very very few options in the draft or free agency. There would be a much bigger let down at the FS spot than at CB. Plus he is 3 years younger.
Rodgers signing a 3-4 million a year, 3 year deal and Goldson signing that 5-6million a year, 5-6 year deal, I believe, is the ideal situation here concerning these two.

Originally posted by Smalls:
Rodgers signing a 3-4 million a year, 3 year deal and Goldson signing that 5-6million a year, 5-6 year deal, I believe, is the ideal situation here concerning these two.

How do you plan on getting Rogers for $3 million a year?.....
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

This should be good lol

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

$3M? When routt got 6M average, and Rogers is much better than Routt.
Done deal

Tag used on Goldson

reported by schefter
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Adam Schefter ‏ @AdamSchefter

49ers plan to use their franchise tag on safety Dashon Goldson. Franchise tag for a safety is $6.2 million.

Has nothing to do with watching the tape. You clearly dont have any clue about the speed of the game if you have come to the conclusion that DG was trying to "pad his stats."
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:

Has nothing to do with watching the tape. You clearly dont have any clue about the speed of the game if you have come to the conclusion that DG was trying to "pad his stats."

Dude even the KW supporters are embarrassed for you.
Share 49ersWebzone