There are 172 users in the forums

**** BREAKING NEWS***** GOLDSON GOT THE FRANCHISE TAG

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
I'm with Oakland-Niner on this one. I want to retain Goldson but I don't think that he's the absolute perfect FS.

To me even though you always want to get better at all positions I am not one for dumping a player when you have no clear cut option that can replace that player. To me there are no free agents that are better than him and there really isn't much in the draft at FS. We'll have to see after this season but I am sure we are trying to work out a long term deal. Just wondering what the meeting point will be. I'm thinking we are offering 5 years 25-32 million and I think he was looking for 5 years, closer to 37-40 million.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I'm with Oakland-Niner on this one. I want to retain Goldson but I don't think that he's the absolute perfect FS.

To me even though you always want to get better at all positions I am not one for dumping a player when you have no clear cut option that can replace that player. To me there are no free agents that are better than him and there really isn't much in the draft at FS. We'll have to see after this season but I am sure we are trying to work out a long term deal. Just wondering what the meeting point will be. I'm thinking we are offering 5 years 25-32 million and I think he was looking for 5 years, closer to 37-40 million.

I agree with you here that for all of Goldson's flaws, there aren't too many FAs or draft prospects who are better than him. I just think we'll have to overpay to keep him here. I guess with our cap situation it's something that we can swallow but it just shouldn't become a trend.

I agree with you here that for all of Goldson's flaws, there aren't too many FAs or draft prospects who are better than him. I just think we'll have to overpay to keep him here. I guess with our cap situation it's something that we can swallow but it just shouldn't become a trend.

What about front loading these contracts.... We'd have even greater room for the future.
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:

What about front loading these contracts.... We'd have even greater room for the future.

There are too many players that need to be signed this year to really front load any contracts too much. We are trying to resign:

Dashon
Carlos Rogers
Alex Smith
Josh Morgan
Ahmad Brooks
...and a host of other role players as well as add a few pieces. The cap money will go pretty fast.
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:

We don't need as much room for the future as we do now. This year we have a lot of free agents. Next we have Walker, Lee, Sopoaga and RJF. Then Goldson if tagged and any other 1 year deals. Walker if we decide to keep should be cheap, Lee will get top money for a punter but that's still like 2 million a year, RJF will be cheap or we let him go... Sopoaga is the only big one.

Also, found this...

"Deadline for long-term deals: Franchise players have until July 16 to sign their franchise players to long-term contracts. The date is usually July 15, but it is the 16th this year because the 15th falls on a Sunday. Past that date, teams can sign their franchise players only to one-year deals. They cannot reach extensions until after their final regular-season games."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...franchise-tags

So according to what Sando wrote you can't work on an extension after July 16 until after the regular season ends in early January next year. I had no idea... I thought they could work on extensions all season long.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Feb 27, 2012 at 2:51 AM ]
http://gridironfans.com/forums/latest-nfl-headlines/182731-49ers-use-franchise-tag-fs-dashon-goldson.html

Now it looks like we have our eyes set on reattaing carlos rodgers and a year's worth of talks with dashon to work something out. The tag should cost a little over 6million
Originally posted by Ajanke:
Originally posted by frenchmov:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Pretty good? He's 1 INT behind Weddle, the top FS in the league. Now add in a forced fumble that Weddle doesn't have and they are tied in turnovers caused. Golsdon is playing like one of the best FS in the league.

i know but i'm not talking about turnovers, there have just been a few times per game where he doesn't take a good angle on guys. i know i'm nitpicking on some of his issues but they are there. the case can be made that he has earned weddle money and i won't dispute that at this point
He's still very young. He can surely get better and is worth the money imo.

foreal though, french how can you say theres a few times he doesnt take a google angle on guys?? ive seen him blow maybe 2 assignments last year. every guys gonna make mistakes you just see him doing it more often than other FS' because your watching the 49ers games and then highlights of others. when you watch those highlights instead of saying awwww pretty catch say ewwww terrible FS
Originally posted by SundayTicket:
http://gridironfans.com/forums/latest-nfl-headlines/182731-49ers-use-franchise-tag-fs-dashon-goldson.html

Now it looks like we have our eyes set on reattaing carlos rodgers and a year's worth of talks with dashon to work something out. The tag should cost a little over 6million

Originally posted by SundayTicket:

This is no news. He's reporting something that we discussed like 2 days ago.

Goldson is stupid. By the time he's dont with the franchise tag he'll be 29. Nobody is going to pay him mega bucks at that age. He's a saftey not a corner. He'd be better off take his 30 million and STFU.

I read somewhere that Goldson fired his agent rosenhaus? That good news? Maybe he will take a more reasonable deal now.
Originally posted by Ajanke:
I read somewhere that Goldson fired his agent rosenhaus? That good news? Maybe he will take a more reasonable deal now.

It is because he's working with the same agency that represents Alex, Willis and ray McDonald so he could sign for a contract that's good for both sides.
Matt Maiocco ‏ @MaioccoCSN
Goldson expects franchise tag, but why his new agent choice could bode well for chance of long-term 49ers deal later.
http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/niners-talk/post/Goldson-hires-agency-with-history-of-49e?blockID=660708&feedID=5884

Safety Dashon Goldson, who remains unsigned for the 2012 season, has hired an agency that has a track record of doing business with the 49ers.Goldson recently fired agent Drew Rosenhaus and hired CAA Football to serve as his representation, a source close to Goldson told CSNBayArea.com on Wednesday.

Ben Dogra and Tom Condon are among CAA's top agents. The agency also represents key 49ers players Alex Smith, Patrick Willis, Justin Smith, Aldon Smith, Ray McDonald, Jonathan Goodwin and Donte Whitner.

SIGN HIM NOW
[ Edited by valrod33 on Feb 29, 2012 at 3:25 PM ]
Originally posted by valrod33:
Matt Maiocco ‏ @MaioccoCSN
Goldson expects franchise tag, but why his new agent choice could bode well for chance of long-term 49ers deal later.
http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/niners-talk/post/Goldson-hires-agency-with-history-of-49e?blockID=660708&feedID=5884

Safety Dashon Goldson, who remains unsigned for the 2012 season, has hired an agency that has a track record of doing business with the 49ers.Goldson recently fired agent Drew Rosenhaus and hired CAA Football to serve as his representation, a source close to Goldson told CSNBayArea.com on Wednesday.

Ben Dogra and Tom Condon are among CAA's top agents. The agency also represents key 49ers players Alex Smith, Patrick Willis, Justin Smith, Aldon Smith, Ray McDonald, Jonathan Goodwin and Donte Whitner.

SIGN HIM NOW

nice!

I doubt we get it done in time, but i wouldn't be surprised if we tag him and then sign him to a multi-year contract before TC.
Rosenhaus screwed over Goldson, no wonder why he let him go

Goldson was an unrestricted free agent last year, too. Multiple sources told CSNBayArea.com that the 49ers offered a five-year, $25 million deal. But sources say Rosenhaus assured Goldson that he could get him the kind of contract the San Diego Chargers awarded safety Eric Weddle: five years, $40 million.

After a couple weeks of free agency, Rosenhaus sent an email to every NFL team to inform them that Goldson's demands had lowered and he would sign a one-year deal for "approximately $3 million." Three days later, Goldson returned to the 49ers on a one-year, $2 million contract.
Share 49ersWebzone