LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 145 users in the forums

**** BREAKING NEWS***** GOLDSON GOT THE FRANCHISE TAG

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by valrod33:
Rosenhaus screwed over Goldson, no wonder why he let him go

Goldson was an unrestricted free agent last year, too. Multiple sources told CSNBayArea.com that the 49ers offered a five-year, $25 million deal. But sources say Rosenhaus assured Goldson that he could get him the kind of contract the San Diego Chargers awarded safety Eric Weddle: five years, $40 million.

After a couple weeks of free agency, Rosenhaus sent an email to every NFL team to inform them that Goldson's demands had lowered and he would sign a one-year deal for "approximately $3 million." Three days later, Goldson returned to the 49ers on a one-year, $2 million contract.

ouch! i wonder how many other clients Rosenhaus has screwed in the past like this
Rosenhaus screwed over Goldson, no wonder why he let him go

Goldson was an unrestricted free agent last year, too. Multiple sources told CSNBayArea.com that the 49ers offered a five-year, $25 million deal. But sources say Rosenhaus assured Goldson that he could get him the kind of contract the San Diego Chargers awarded safety Eric Weddle: five years, $40 million.

After a couple weeks of free agency, Rosenhaus sent an email to every NFL team to inform them that Goldson's demands had lowered and he would sign a one-year deal for "approximately $3 million." Three days later, Goldson returned to the 49ers on a one-year, $2 million contract.

He was probably drunk. Resenhaus is the McCloughan of agents.
Matt Maiocco ‏ @MaioccoCSN
Goldson expects franchise tag, but why his new agent choice could bode well for chance of long-term 49ers deal later.
http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/niners-talk/post/Goldson-hires-agency-with-history-of-49e?blockID=660708&feedID=5884

Safety Dashon Goldson, who remains unsigned for the 2012 season, has hired an agency that has a track record of doing business with the 49ers.Goldson recently fired agent Drew Rosenhaus and hired CAA Football to serve as his representation, a source close to Goldson told CSNBayArea.com on Wednesday.

Ben Dogra and Tom Condon are among CAA's top agents. The agency also represents key 49ers players Alex Smith, Patrick Willis, Justin Smith, Aldon Smith, Ray McDonald, Jonathan Goodwin and Donte Whitner.

SIGN HIM NOW

Best post I've read since the Brooks signing......YES!!! The Nines always said they saved their cap space to sign their own guys. I'm glad to see it wasn't just a bunch of bs (like I once thought). Props to guys like NinerGM for calling it all along.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Best post I've read since the Brooks signing......YES!!! The Nines always said they saved their cap space to sign their own guys. I'm glad to see it wasn't just a bunch of bs (like I once thought). Props to guys like NinerGM for calling it all along.

Yep, good news but it might be a little too late to get a deal done before march 5th. If they don't he gets tagged and has until July 16 to reach a long term agreement or he will play for the 1 year 6.2 million. Either way this should get done. Might be nice to see what he brings us this year and then sign him long term but I expect us to sign him long term before the July 16th deadline.
Originally posted by Gore_21:

Yep, good news but it might be a little too late to get a deal done before march 5th. If they don't he gets tagged and has until July 16 to reach a long term agreement or he will play for the 1 year 6.2 million. Either way this should get done. Might be nice to see what he brings us this year and then sign him long term but I expect us to sign him long term before the July 16th deadline.
If we can't reach a long term deal before the draft, I'd rather draft his replacement with a high pick and let the rookie learn behind him for a year, so he can take over when he's gone. At the end of next season wont he be almost 29? Either way, he would have shown to be competly unreasonable and I'd rather move on.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Feb 29, 2012 at 5:08 PM ]
If we can't reach a long term deal before the draft, I'd rather draft his replacement with a high pick and let the rookie learn behind him for a year so he can take over when he's gone. At the end of next season wont he be almost 29? Either way, he would have shown to be competly unreasonable and I'd rather move on.

He would still be 28 but that May 21st would be 29. I'd be fine with a 4-5 year deal. As for unreasonable Rosenhaus probably filled his head with that 40 million and with the new agents (guys who get deals done with the 9ers) it should work out. I'd expect them to say hey Dashon your 40 was unreasonable (he probably knows it) and the 49ers offered 25 last year... he played better this year so it should go up to say 5 years 30 million (maybe 32). I think the FS class is suppose to be good next year but the top guys might be gone by our pick. Can't be any worse than this year which is really bad and there really isn't much to replace him with in the draft or free agency this year. Haven't looked at what FS are out there next year (for free agency) but I doubt many are as good as Goldson.

Edit: Next year's FS free agents:
http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=DB&y=2013

Might change but I see Kerry Rhodes and Ed Reed (who could retire/won't leave Baltimore).
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Feb 29, 2012 at 5:17 PM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
If we can't reach a long term deal before the draft, I'd rather draft his replacement with a high pick and let the rookie learn behind him for a year so he can take over when he's gone. At the end of next season wont he be almost 29? Either way, he would have shown to be competly unreasonable and I'd rather move on.

He would still be 28 but that May 21st would be 29. I'd be fine with a 4-5 year deal. As for unreasonable Rosenhaus probably filled his head with that 40 million and with the new agents (guys who get deals done with the 9ers) it should work out. I'd expect them to say hey Dashon your 40 was unreasonable (he probably knows it) and the 49ers offered 25 last year... he played better this year so it should go up to say 5 years 30 million (maybe 32). I think the FS class is suppose to be good next year but the top guys might be gone by our pick. Can't be any worse than this year which is really bad and there really isn't much to replace him with in the draft or free agency this year. Haven't looked at what FS are out there next year (for free agency) but I doubt many are as good as Goldson.

Edit: Next year's FS free agents:
http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=DB&y=2013

Might change but I see Kerry Rhodes and Ed Reed (who could retire/won't leave Baltimore).

He's a safety I think him being 28-29 isn't a big deal
i think he will be the next to sign a long term deal
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Adam Schefter ‏ @AdamSchefter

49ers plan to place their franchise tag on safety Dashon Goldson today.
We cant lose Goldson, next year we need him to make a big run at the superbowl

Good move. I wish they can get a deal done though. I like Rogers alot, but I am willing to part ways to keep a younger ball hawk Safety like Goldson. Culliver played very well as a rookie and I think he can step it up a notch this season.
Originally posted by Jcool:

ESPN link: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7637073/dashon-goldson-san-francisco-49ers-get-franchise-tag-source-says

It's also on the home page.
good move, now on to the others
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by baltien:

ESPN link: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7637073/dashon-goldson-san-francisco-49ers-get-franchise-tag-source-says

It's also on the home page.

Best move for all. If you read the fine print on Brooks' deal we basically franchised him with 1st year salary of guaranteed $8.4M and the rest of the years could be reduced by as much as $2.5M if he doesn't reach sack incentives.

Goldon's new value is probably right around 6-6.5M now after his season so paying him a fully guaranteed sum of 6.2 is s great starting point for long term deal much like Brooks'. An incentive laden with a $6M per year average(should he meet the incentives, say 5 or more INTs each season) sounds about right.

Share 49ersWebzone