There are 208 users in the forums

Was the 4th down pass to Kendall Hunter catchable?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Was the 4th down pass to Kendall Hunter catchable?

Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by kemp_j:
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Originally posted by pigskin:
Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought Smith had a pocket there on that play but chose to bail.

This is one thing that is completely missed in all this. Alex Smith saw ghosts again, bailed from the pocket and ran right towards the rusher. There was absolutely no reason for him to run to his right. None.

After 5 sacks I'm sure he lacked confidence in the O-line; he's trying to make a play and not take a sack on 4th down.

it was a DESIGNED sprint out

How did you come up with that? LOL.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought Smith had a pocket there on that play but chose to bail.

This is one thing that is completely missed in all this. Alex Smith saw ghosts again, bailed from the pocket and ran right towards the rusher. There was absolutely no reason for him to run to his right. None.

After 5 sacks I'm sure he lacked confidence in the O-line; he's trying to make a play and not take a sack on 4th down.

Alex had a pocket. He made that play harder than it had to be
NFL unwritten rule "If your hands touch the ball, then its a catchable ball."
  • gage
  • Veteran
Originally posted by modninerfan:
Why was ginn and the other dude (braylon?) just standing there while Hunter seemed to be the only guy trying to get open.

and yeah he should have caught it.

Maybe they stepped out of bounds and didn't want asked thinking to throw to them.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by ninersrule4:

Alex had a pocket. He made that play harder than it had to be

yup no reason he should have rolled out
Originally posted by susweel:

If no one was open, then he should have rolled out. It's hard to say without having a view of the entire field.
But if you're going to go for it on 4th..which they had to..why not try to run it on 3rd and get the 1 yard? Bad play calling.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:

If no one was open, then he should have rolled out. It's hard to say without having a view of the entire field.

Typical Alex resorts to his old self when the pressure is on.

Non-responsive.
Could have been better thrown, but on a busted play like that, % of being successful are very low. But if it hit his hands, then i guess it has to be catchable. Smith is not all to blame here, the OL in horrendous! Stabilize this permanently, and we could just make so noise in the playoffs. If not, we are going to be exposed, as evidence to yesterday loss to an inferior team.

Well i'll have to ask this,

From the GOAT, before his HOF speech during an interview with ESPN a while back,

Commentator asked whats the difference between a good, and great WR, and he replied, "What makes you Great is that if the ball touches even one hand let alone two then it should be caught EVERYTIME, NOT some of the time."

Cant tell you exactly where i got it from, being that I wrote this same quote a year and some change ago when we were talking about issues with the Wr's.

LIke the drop by VD last week, and the over the shoulder throw in the endzone. that Ginn Endzone play, and that last Hunter throw, were all balls that SHOULD of been caught point blank. Smith was running for his life, and did put it where only Hunter could of gotten it, and it hit him directly between both hands. To the point of it should of been caught.

Just like when we talk about Smiths missed opportunities, how about no more sugarcoating when a pass should of been caught. If it was WAY over the receivers heads into the stands, then yeah, just overall a horrible pass.

But i mean come on, i cant speak for any other people that played ball, but when i played in college, if any WR dropped a pass that he got two hands on in practice, then he dropped and gave 15 pushups on site. And if he did it in a game especially, id laugh at how he'd be on the sidelines doing the same thing. And if he missed more than 3 in a game, and the pass was catchable, he was taken out of that series.

Two hands, catch the ball, period, IMHO

Non-responsive.

Move to strike
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Well i'll have to ask this,

From the GOAT, before his HOF speech during an interview with ESPN a while back,

Commentator asked whats the difference between a good, and great WR, and he replied, "What makes you Great is that if the ball touches even one hand let alone two then it should be caught EVERYTIME, NOT some of the time."

Cant tell you exactly where i got it from, being that I wrote this same quote a year and some change ago when we were talking about issues with the Wr's.

LIke the drop by VD last week, and the over the shoulder throw in the endzone. that Ginn Endzone play, and that last Hunter throw, were all balls that SHOULD of been caught point blank. Smith was running for his life, and did put it where only Hunter could of gotten it, and it hit him directly between both hands. To the point of it should of been caught.

Just like when we talk about Smiths missed opportunities, how about no more sugarcoating when a pass should of been caught. If it was WAY over the receivers heads into the stands, then yeah, just overall a horrible pass.

But i mean come on, i cant speak for any other people that played ball, but when i played in college, if any WR dropped a pass that he got two hands on in practice, then he dropped and gave 15 pushups on site. And if he did it in a game especially, id laugh at how he'd be on the sidelines doing the same thing. And if he missed more than 3 in a game, and the pass was catchable, he was taken out of that series.

Two hands, catch the ball, period, IMHO

So we can agree that Kendall Hunter is not a "great receiver." Fine I will gladly admit that. Doesnt excuse a wildly inaccurate pass.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

Non-responsive.

Move to strike
Sustained.
My opinion- catchable, but definately a long list of other reasons why they lost. Upsetting nonetheless, was pretty confident going into this game.
Share 49ersWebzone