LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 263 users in the forums

Patrick Willis Injury

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Hope it isn't serious. We have heard the "Team doesn't believe it is serious" line before. Keeping my fingers crossed.
He needs to sit out at least 3 weeks. Hamstring injuries can be nagging if you don't let it fully recover. They are nearly literally a pain in the ass.
  • Elric
  • Veteran
Hamstrings 4-6 weeks if there torn.

If you comback to early you will tear them again.

Willis is tough as nails standing strait up you don't feel it but any bending and you will.

best case rest him for 4 weeks and let hom loose in the play offs.
He is obviously fine. Him coming out was precautionary.
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:

Hoping for this.
He was walking fine.
  • Envy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GuessWhosOn3rd:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:

Hoping for this.
He was walking fine.

Yeah he didnt look in distress at all. They will probably rest him for a game and make a decision then.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
I'm guessing it's a strain....not an outright tear. But in general, even strains mean that there's been some tearing in the fibers. There's nothing to do but rest it for as long as you can.
Originally posted by Elric:
Hamstrings 4-6 weeks if there torn.

If you comback to early you will tear them again.

Willis is tough as nails standing strait up you don't feel it but any bending and you will.

best case rest him for 4 weeks and let hom loose in the play offs.

Could be.

I torn my hamstring once. The initial pain was bad. Once that went away I started to feel okay. However, the next day the back of my leg from butt to heal was black and blue. It was ridiculous. I tried to run with it a little to test it out but it was a no go. Took a few weeks to heal and even to this day it is not 100%.

Hoping he is okay.
Needs to rest at least this week. I have confidence in Bowman and Grant to get the job done.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Needs to rest at least this week. I have confidence in Bowman and Grant to get the job done.

+1
Grant did a hell of a job

Originally posted by defenderDX:
Honestly I'd rather him sit the rest of the season than have a chance at missing the playoffs. Just not worth it to me... There should be no rush whatsoever after clinching the division tonight. Besides, we got a new beast in Larry Grant and P.Willis junior.

I thought we are in the playoffs......
Originally posted by jimmythegreekjr:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Honestly I'd rather him sit the rest of the season than have a chance at missing the playoffs. Just not worth it to me... There should be no rush whatsoever after clinching the division tonight. Besides, we got a new beast in Larry Grant and P.Willis junior.

I thought we are in the playoffs......

he means Willis missing the playoffs.
lets just hope its a ray mcdonald hamstring injury and not the andre johnson hamstring injury
I pulled one hammie and tore the other. It took me close to two weeks of rest with HOT water & epsom salt, message & slow progressive running, to get back on the field (and track). The torn hammie took more than a month to heal completely. I hope its just pulled or strained, he could be back for the Steelers game. If it is torn he's done for the season but should be back for the playoffs. What I learned with my hammies was that explosive players need to hold their stretches longer. Not saying that this was the case with Willis but each time I injured my hammies it during a period of complacency with my stretching, as I was a very explosive player and runner. In any event, given how Grant played yesterday I think the defence as a whole will be fine, SO LONG AS WE DON'T RUSH HIM BACK or we let him rush himself back (like Andre Johnson). Hammies are difficult injuries to determine a full heal; its player by player. Given his explosiveness I'd say we sit him until the Seahawks game if its just pulled or strained and shut him down if it's torn.
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Dec 5, 2011 at 1:10 PM ]
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
I pulled one hammie and tore the other. It took me close to two weeks of rest with HOT water & epsom salt, message & slow progressive running, to get back on the field (and track). The torn hammie took more than a month to heal completely. I hope its just pulled or strained, he could be back for the Steelers game. If it is forn he's done for the season but should be back for the playoffs. What I learned with my hammies was that explosive players need to hold their stretches longer. Not saying that this was the case with Willis each time I injured my hammies it during a period of complacency with my stretching, as I was a very explosive player and runner. In any event, given how Grant played yesterday I think the defence as a whole will be fine, SO LONG AS WE DON'T RUSH HIM BACK or we let him rush himself back (like Andre Johnson). Hammies are difficult injuries to determine a full heal; its player by player. Given his explosiveness I'd say we sit him until the Seahawks game if its just pulled or strained and shut him down if it's torn.

I think it makes it more difficult for explosive players to come back. You can still run on a strained/tender hammy after a week but you can't explode. Strained mine from over training since I was the most flexible I had ever been.
Share 49ersWebzone