There are 135 users in the forums

Are we "a very soft 9 - 2?" The WE DIDN'T PLAY ANYBODY argument.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by davidboutte:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
#6 may be to high. We will lose to the Steelers and probably lose at Seattle. Saints could take the #2 seed. Entering the playoffs we could be the worst NFC playoff team. We will definately be the worst offense. Playoffs were the goal at the beginning of the year. I think we should be happy just to get there, because we cant beat GB, NO, or DAL.

WTF I really don't mean to insult anyone but I think some "fans" are just unbelievable. Loose to Seattle, are you drunk? We could be the worst NFC playoff team? For you to believe that you HAVE to think the 9ers are going to self-destruct - coaching staff, defence and all - these last 5 games. What fu*king season have you been watching? How can anyone but a drydock bare naked hater come up with such logic if they are truely watching THIS season?

"Playoffs were the goal at the beginning of the year. I think we should be happy just to get there, because we cant beat GB, NO, or DAL." Utterly asinine!! New rule: People should actually think before they speak.

I dont think we can beat BALT, NE, PITT either. Jets would prob beat us, as would HOU or CHI if they had their QB's. If we replayed Philly or NYG, I wouldn't place a bet either. Thinking we were the 2nd best team in the NFL was asinine. Even the BCS system would have looked at strength of schedule, quality wins....How does our win at 4-7 Philly look now. Or our proud drubbing of 4-7 Tampa Bay. Cleveland could have beat us, Cleveland with their 3 string RB....

If you think we can beat NO or GB, the last 2 superbowl winners after watching this same season you question, you should come spend a Sunday on my couch and I'll try and teach you a couple things about a game called FOOTBALL. Dallas already beat us and is the kind of team we dont want to see in the Playoffs....That kind of team is one that has an offense that can score more then 20 points. If anyone scores 20 on us, we probably lose. Baltimore only needed 16, I mean 7. I'm not disapointed in the Baltimore game. I expected the better team to win at home. The point is, I knew they were the better team.

how many alcoholic drinks do you consume in a day?
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
#6 may be to high. We will lose to the Steelers and probably lose at Seattle. Saints could take the #2 seed. Entering the playoffs we could be the worst NFC playoff team. We will definately be the worst offense. Playoffs were the goal at the beginning of the year. I think we should be happy just to get there, because we cant beat GB, NO, or DAL.

WTF I really don't mean to insult anyone but I think some "fans" are just unbelievable. Loose to Seattle, are you drunk? We could be the worst NFC playoff team? For you to believe that you HAVE to think the 9ers are going to self-destruct - coaching staff, defence and all - these last 5 games. What fu*king season have you been watching? How can anyone but a drydock bare naked hater come up with such logic if they are truely watching THIS season?

"Playoffs were the goal at the beginning of the year. I think we should be happy just to get there, because we cant beat GB, NO, or DAL." Utterly asinine!! New rule: People should actually think before they speak.

I dont think we can beat BALT, NE, PITT either. Jets would prob beat us, as would HOU or CHI if they had their QB's. If we replayed Philly or NYG, I wouldn't place a bet either. Thinking we were the 2nd best team in the NFL was asinine. Even the BCS system would have looked at strength of schedule, quality wins....How does our win at 4-7 Philly look now. Or our proud drubbing of 4-7 Tampa Bay. Cleveland could have beat us, Cleveland with their 3 string RB....

If you think we can beat NO or GB, the last 2 superbowl winners after watching this same season you question, you should come spend a Sunday on my couch and I'll try and teach you a couple things about a game called FOOTBALL. Dallas already beat us and is the kind of team we dont want to see in the Playoffs....That kind of team is one that has an offense that can score more then 20 points. If anyone scores 20 on us, we probably lose. Baltimore only needed 16, I mean 7. I'm not disapointed in the Baltimore game. I expected the better team to win at home. The point is, I knew they were the better team.

must be a raider fan

Man, with "fans" like some here who needs the Cowgirls or the NFC west. I don't think I said we were the 2nd best team in the NFL. If I implyed that I apologize. But I will say that we are, at worst, the 2nd best team in the NFC. Its laughable to think we don't have quaility wins. Its laughable to think we would loose to Cleveland, and with a 3rd string RB no less. Its laughable to think we would loose to the Jets. And did you mention the BCS (the Bull crap system)!? WOW, man, I'm embarrassed for you! Thank God NFL fans aren't subjected to such an obviously discredited system that takes into account too many Mickey Mouse what-if's and shadow intangibles (e.g strength of schedule). Thank God the most important metric in the NFL is good ol' wins and loses. Yes, we could beat teams like NO and GB. Of all the NFC teams we are built best to do so. I can give a rats ass that they won the SB. They haven't won it THIS year! They have to proove to me that they can beat us THIS year. Given our scheme, match-ups, and coaching THIS year we have more than a good chance against them. I don't care what those teams have done last year and the year before that. Now I won't get into a pissing contest about who knows football the most. Suffice it to say that knowing football IS my business. Its how I pay my bill and feed my family. I grew up in this game and have been a student of the game my whole adult life. So I know a good team when I see one, thank you very much. So looking at THIS years 49ers team, at this juncture, I see no reason why we couldn't/shouldn't win out or beat the aforementioned teams.
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Nov 29, 2011 at 9:23 PM ]
Forget the subjectivity, of the teams that are at least 8-3 here are the strength of schedule numbers . . .

Strength of schedule in games played to date:
1. Baltimore: 65-56 (.537) - 4-0 against the top seven
2. Pittsburgh: 60-61 (.496) - 1-3 against the top seven
2. New England: 60-61 (.496) - 0-1 against the top seven
4. San Francisco: 59-62 (.488) - 0-1 against the top seven
5. New Orleans: 55-66 (.455) - 0-1 against the top seven
6. Houston: 54-67 (.446) - 1-2 against the top seven
7. Green Bay: 52-69 (.430) - 1-0 against the top seven

Aside from Baltimore's strength of schedule and 4-0 against the top seven, the rest of the pack doesn't separate itself.

Strength of schedule remaining games:
1. Green Bay: 31-24 (.564)
2. Pittsburgh: 26-29 (.473) - 1 game remaining vs top seven
3. New Orleans: 25-30 (.455)
4. Houston: 23-32 (.418)
5. San Francisco: 20-35 (.364) - 1 game remaining vs top seven
6. Baltimore: 19-36 (.345)
7. New England: 18-37 (.327)
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Nov 29, 2011 at 10:48 PM ]
I expect this from SanDiego49er.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
I expect this from SanDiego49er.

Well not just SanDiego but I thought this as well. Then I went back and thought, well we played the cards we were dealt and won, its pretty much all we can do. The playoffs will separate the men from the boys.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
This is b******t. Just enjoy winning the games. We can only play the schedule we're given. Things change a lot during the course of the season and so far we're one of the top 3 most consistent teams.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Originally posted by AJ_Larrea954:
Good Lord, after a EIGHT GAME WINNING STREAK we lose ONE GAME on a short week trip to the east coast to a good football team and now this? things like this makes me dislike my own fanbase

'aint the Niner Talk awesome.

THIS
We did not play well against the Ravens, but we were still in the game. Ginns touchdown called back. Interception called back. Either one of those plays completely changes a close game. Even A.Smiths pick, Edwards should have played some defense on the ball. Synder gets hurt in the game. We also didn't have Bruce Miller who I thought was missed, even though Moran Norris played well for him.

Dallas Game was really close. We should have won that game. Dashon Goldson was missed a lot in that game. Madieu Williams goes for the ball instead of LIGHTING UP Miles Austin on a big touchdown. The BS call on A. Brooks that he was offside.

I think our team is playing amazing. The offense is still a work in progress but we are progressing. Not having Braylon healthy has been a big loss for the offense. Looking forward to having him back at 100% hopefully towards the end of the year.

The Ravens game was going to be a tough game regardess with a short week. (By the way, 5 games in the eastern time zone is no picnic).....we probably have the most travel miles of teams out there right now. I think we will learn so much

I think we can beat any team out there. We just probably have to play a very mistake free ball game to do it.

A lot of NFL Games are close until a team starts rollin. So the Giants lost a big game to the Saints, but next game I don't think they get blown out. Once you get down big or up big in the game, the game dramatically changes. The key is not making mistakes and bringing your A game.

The Niners play a great brand of "mistake free" ball. We have a defense that at times has been dominant. The offense runs well and we play a control passing game. We have a good schedule ahead of us to get the Bye then we have to play probably play Saints at home in the playoffs. Dallas will play the wild card winner, and then probably play the packers which bodes well for us.

This year anything can happen and the Niners have a good shot as anyone this year.

Originally posted by unst4bl3:
WE arent soft, but I have been saying all season "we aren't ready yet"

The teams we played at the beginning of the season looked like they would be a challenge, but they are all having rough years so its not much of a measuring stick for us. I hope we get a first round bye, because I'd hate to have one wildcard game at home, then go on the road to the packers for round 2. and get beat like 44-10.

At this point you'd have to face the packers either way eventually on their home turf. Don't see them losing three or even two games. The teams we played were good teams, then got into a physical game with the niners that left them exhausted physically and mentally. Perhaps they then began to doubt themselves and fell in to a tail spin. Niners face the same situation this week. If you over look the rams after the physical game with the ravens, they could catch a team napping, they have twice.

However, yes the Raven's game was a wake up call that we are not there yet. Will the niners get into a tail spin? Hope not. Sometimes it is who gets hot. The packers of last year got hot at the right time and so did a giants team that beat a then unbeaten patriots team. Still, EVERYONE on the niners have to hit that do or die hot streak mode.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Is the Baltimore game a warning from a top tier team or was it a "scheduled loss?" Short week, travel several time zones and play at Baltimore where losing is not an unexpected result. When we lost 1 game to Dallas in overtime I thought we were for real. But this game gives me pause. And here is why looking at the schedule and circumstances.

It's been argued by WZers and media types that we did play somebody. But did we? Wins vs. the Bengals, Eagles, Lions, Bucs and Giants were often pointed to as "good teams" we beat. Are they?

~ Eagles 4 - 7.
~ Bucs 4 - 7.
~ Lions - started 5 - 0 and have been dropping games ever since. Really imploded around the time we played them and after. Ok we can claim this one if we want. They were good when we played them. But they haven't been good lately. So how good are they?
~ Giants - Yup we beat them. But we resorted to onside kick trickery at home and could barely get them off the field after several 4th downs. IMO they are perfectly capable of beating us in a rematch.
~ Bengals - good record but a ROOKIE QB. Albeit a good one.

The Seahawks and Cardinals are a joke. And the Seahawks gave us a good game remember if not for 2 Ted Ginn returns that bailed us out. The Browns and Redskins are simply not good teams.

So look at who beat us.

~ Cowboys - a good team. Beat us passing all over the field. Looked like an unstoppable offense vs. us.
~ Ravens - a great TOP TIER team IMO. Completely abused us. Manhandled us all over the field. If we spent any more time on offense they would have had 15 - 20 sacks. Utter domination at the line of scrimmage. Far worse than the score IMO. A game that gives even the most rabid homer some pause and concern.

If I had to do a power ranking right now I would put it like this.

1) Packers - Would abuse us badly.
2) Saints - If we get behind no way to catch up. And we would get behind vs. them.
3) Patriots - Far superior IMO.
4) Ravens - Any worse abuse than this and you file assault charges...
5) Steelers - Vastly underrated by the WZ and media. This team is for real.

6) 49ers. Just my opinion.

I think the Texans and Bears have too many injury concerns at QB to be considered serious contenders. I'd put the Cowboys and Giants about even with us. Almost right on par. The Cowboys beat us. And we barely beat the Giants with onside kicks and all. IMO they are capable of beating us. I think Atlanta is about on par with us. They are definitely capable of beating us on a given sunday.

So maybe:

7) Dallas
8) New York Giants
9) Atlanta

I don't think those teams are far behind us. Capable of beating us too. One of them did.

I think we played one super elite top tier team and they abused us all over the field. It was far worse than the score in the physical matchup. I'm glad we are better. But I don't think we are as top tier as we think. Our offense is not capable of coming from behind. And if we get down in the playoffs I don't see much come from behind capability to keep the season alive. I'm glad we are better than we used to be. But we may not be ready yet for the big time. I agree with the argument that the Ravens and Steelers are the true test. Even if we split those, win out and go 14 - 2 I would start to believe again. If we lose that, get abused, win in NFC West matchups and go 13 - 3 I'm not sure how good we are?...

yeah but this coming from a Chargers fan doesnt mean much.

You cant just list out everyone we beat and say "look at their record right now". what matters is how they were playing when we played them. when we played the Eagles, they had a healthy Mike Vick. when we played the Bucs, they were 3-1. when we played the Lions, they were 5-0 and on fire. When we played the Giants, they were one of the hottest teams in the NFL, and had just gone INTO NE and beat them.and Cincy is a good team. they have a top 10 D, and are competing in the NFL's toughest division.

Your constant negativity is ridiculous. where was this thread before the Baltimore game? you wouldnt make a "49ers are down to 6th overall" thread if we were still on our 8 game winning streak. way to wait until we lose to post this.

the Saints lost to the Rams. stop anointing them as a team who "we would get behind against". we almost beat them last year as a crappy, poorly coached team. the Patriots are FAR superior? theyre D blows. nobody is FAR superior to the Niners this year. Stop acting like the Ravens blew us out. we lost by 10 pts that were all scored towards the end when we ran out of gas. our OL had a bad day, and the Ravens were on their game. the odds were stacked against us from the start anyways. throw the BAL game out the window, because were not going to have to play a cross country game on 3 days rest again. and the Steelers just barely beat the Chiefs. im not exactly quaking in my boots about playing them. Candlestick on MNF, i like our chances.

Our offense cant come from behind? you must not have seen the Philly game. or the Giants game. or the Lions game. our D wears teams down as the game goes along, so despite the fact that we dont have an offense like the Saints, we have very good chances of coming back from a deficit because of the D's ability to tire a team out in the 2nd half.

Have you even been watching this year? week 1 we played SEA at home. easy game, we won. week 2 we played DAL. we shouldve won that one, and still went to OT. if not for a blown coverage, we may have won even still. week 3 we flew out to Cincy for a physical battle against a team that turned out to be a contender rather than a pretender. week 4 we stay on the road and go into Philly, go down by 20, and lead a comeback for a win. week 5 we came back home to face a Bucs team that had been playing well, and we CRUSHED them by 45 pts. week 6 we flew back out to the east coast to face a Lions team that was on FIRE. crowd noise and all, we went ahead with a clutch final drive to win. week 8 we came back home and dominated a bad Browns team. week 9 we flew back out east to face the crappy skins, and held a 16 pt lead for most the entire game before garbage time pts. week 10 we came home to face a red hot Giants team that had just ended the Patriots home winning streak. we went down in the 2nd half, but lead a comeback and then the D held strong to win it. week 11 we faced a bad Cards team, and we whipped them. week 12, just 4 days later, we flew across the country into hostile territory to face the NFL's strongest D. we kept up blow for blow until the 4th, and in the end we couldnt overcome the disadvantage and lost. had the refs not made ticky-tack calls on the Ginn TD and the Brown INT, the momentum of the game might have taken it in a much different direction.

All in all, I count 4 easy wins, and 5 hard fought wins. 4-1 on the east coast, and weve allowed the fewest points in the NFL. we force the most turnovers, and give up the least. the fact that you think this team is a cupcake pretender leads me to believe that you havent been watching this season, and are undoubtedly a closet Chargers fan. you truly wouldve been the one guy who said the team wasnt as good as people think in the 1984 season.
[ Edited by Niners99 on Nov 30, 2011 at 3:24 AM ]
Originally posted by Niners99:

You cant just list out everyone we beat and say "look at their record right now". what matters is how they were playing when we played them. when we played the Eagles, they had a healthy Mike Vick. when we played the Bucs, they were 3-1. when we played the Lions, they were 5-0 and on fire. When we played the Giants, they were one of the hottest teams in the NFL, and had just gone INTO NE and beat them.and Cincy is a good team. they have a top 10 D, and are competing in the NFL's toughest division.

Your constant negativity is ridiculous. where was this thread before the Baltimore game? you wouldnt make a "49ers are down to 6th overall" thread if we were still on our 8 game winning streak. way to wait until we lose to post this.

the Saints lost to the Rams. stop anointing them as a team who "we would get behind against". we almost beat them last year as a crappy, poorly coached team. the Patriots are FAR superior? theyre D blows. nobody is FAR superior to the Niners this year. Stop acting like the Ravens blew us out. we lost by 10 pts that were all scored towards the end when we ran out of gas. our OL had a bad day, and the Ravens were on their game. the odds were stacked against us from the start anyways. throw the BAL game out the window, because were not going to have to play a cross country game on 3 days rest again. and the Steelers just barely beat the Chiefs. im not exactly quaking in my boots about playing them. Candlestick on MNF, i like our chances.

Our offense cant come from behind? you must not have seen the Philly game. or the Giants game. or the Lions game. our D wears teams down as the game goes along, so despite the fact that we dont have an offense like the Saints, we have very good chances of coming back from a deficit because of the D's ability to tire a team out in the 2nd half.

Have you even been watching this year? week 1 we played SEA at home. easy game, we won. week 2 we played DAL. we shouldve won that one, and still went to OT. if not for a blown coverage, we may have won even still. week 3 we flew out to Cincy for a physical battle against a team that turned out to be a contender rather than a pretender. week 4 we stay on the road and go into Philly, go down by 20, and lead a comeback for a win. week 5 we came back home to face a Bucs team that had been playing well, and we CRUSHED them by 45 pts. week 6 we flew back out to the east coast to face a Lions team that was on FIRE. crowd noise and all, we went ahead with a clutch final drive to win. week 8 we came back home and dominated a bad Browns team. week 9 we flew back out east to face the crappy skins, and held a 16 pt lead for most the entire game before garbage time pts. week 10 we came home to face a red hot Giants team that had just ended the Patriots home winning streak. we went down in the 2nd half, but lead a comeback and then the D held strong to win it. week 11 we faced a bad Cards team, and we whipped them. week 12, just 4 days later, we flew across the country into hostile territory to face the NFL's strongest D. we kept up blow for blow until the 4th, and in the end we couldnt overcome the disadvantage and lost. had the refs not made ticky-tack calls on the Ginn TD and the Brown INT, the momentum of the game might have taken it in a much different direction.

All in all, I count 4 easy wins, and 5 hard fought wins. 4-1 on the east coast, and weve allowed the fewest points in the NFL. we force the most turnovers, and give up the least. the fact that you think this team is a cupcake pretender leads me to believe that you havent been watching this season, and are undoubtedly a closet Chargers fan. you truly wouldve been the one guy who said the team wasnt as good as people think in the 1984 season.

finally some logic! Rep +10000000000000 x million x infinity
Originally posted by Niners99:

Yeah bro! You are on fire! Nice positive read. We will be ready for the playoffs. I believe that.
We definitely did not look ready for the Ravens Thankgiving night. I think our D kept us within striking distance. The Ravens are a 30 burger team, we kept em under 20. Our offense needs to adapt to situations like we faced in that game. I am still amazed that we didnt see any screen passes to guys like Kyle Williams and Kendall Hunter or even Delanie Walker for that matter. With their mixture of speed, power and quickness, that would have been a good tool against the overwhelming rush we faced against the Ravens. Maybe Jim kept an ace up his sleeve for the playoffs, we'll see.
Share 49ersWebzone