There are 176 users in the forums

Is David Akers the best kicker we ever had?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is David Akers the best kicker we ever had?

Just on pure kicking ability, was he better then the Wilkins, the Anderson's, the Nedney's?
Jose Cortez or Wade Richey
Originally posted by valrod33:

Nah Shane Andrus or Owen Pochman
Yes- he has the accuracy and leg strength. Ray Wershing was accurate but to a point, as he didn't have leg strength. Still lets wait a couple years.
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Originally posted by valrod33:

Nah Shane Andrus or Owen Pochman

i would fight Pochman if I ever met him in person. He couldn't even hit PAT's....
Wershing
Originally posted by VA49er:
Wershing

That was my knee-jerk reaction as well. But the question was sorta phrased to eliminate Wersching, "on pure kicking ability." Remember, Ray Wersching wasn't particularly long-legged. His primary attribute was the fact that he rarely missed inside of 35 (remember kickers used to be a lot more flaky, so that's not as pathetic as it may now sound) but outside of 35 his accuracy dropped off rapidly. Wersching was about consistency, not range.

Akers is simply an entirely different animal, and "on pure kicking ability" is orders of magnitude beyond anything Wersching was capable of doing. Akers is sporting Wersching-like consistency from 45+! As fond of Ray Wersching as I am, I've got to admit that he's simply not in the same zip code as Akers--at least not on "pure kicking ability."

Edit: and while we're on the subject of crappy kickers, may as well give Mike "the Hooker" Cofer a nod. You still suck, Cofer!!!
[ Edited by BubbaParisMVP on Nov 15, 2011 at 2:02 PM ]
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:

Edit: and while we're on the subject of crappy kickers, may as well give Mike "the Hooker" Cofer a nod. You still suck, Cofer!!!

I'll never understand how Cofer isn't regularly mentioned as the worst long-term 49er kicker ever...I held my breath every time he went out there. We've been really spoiled the last several years with Nedney and now Akers KICKING ASS.
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:

Didn't he miss a PAT in the Super Bowl against Denver

• jdean
  • Veteran
For the old timers , Tommy Davis and Bruce gosset.
uh hmmmm.....
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VA49er:
Wershing

Most here weren't even conceived when he kicked his last extra point for us.

Me personally, I always liked Mike Cofer
He's on pace to break Jerry Rice's record for points in a season.

Pretty sure that makes it a "Yes."
  • kray28
  • Veteran
The Niners of old were so good, they routinely ignored their special teams, and were always at the bottom of the league in special team related stats.

Notice how in recent history, the trend has been completely in the opposite direction. (this season's current results withstanding)
Share 49ersWebzone