LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 279 users in the forums

Is David Akers the best kicker we ever had?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is David Akers the best kicker we ever had?

Originally posted by oldman9er:
Tell me something then. If your theory were accurate, what on Earth would possess Alex to state that he was happy with the offer? Wouldn't that alone kill any leverage he could have possibly wanted to have? Wouldn't that be like telling the world that he is dishonest and actually trying to make himself later look like the greedy and entitled jerk?

What I am saying is.. if Alex was really unhappy with the offer, he would (if stating anything) state that SF is low-balling him and make THEM out to be "the bad guys" in that situation.

Doesn't that make sense? It's just far more reasonable to believe that the offer was made... Alex accepted it vocally... and before he had a chance to sign it? Baalke put some brakes on it for whatever reason. Better fits the timeline when late in the game, Alex took his trip to Miami. He was irritated at his agent and Baalke for halting the signing process (for whatever that reason).

I'm not sure if I get what you're saying. It's not a theory, but a fact that Alex had a contract offer sitting on the table a good two months before free agency hit. For whatever reason, he didn't sign it. Draw your own conclusions. IMO, that signals that he thought he was worth more than what was being offered, and put off signing it to drive up the price. Fast forward a few weeks, free agency hits and the 9ers show interest in Manning.

It is not known whether or not we offered Manning a contract (though I'm sure numbers and parameters were discussed). Smith, still hoping to get more money and probably pissed that we courted another QB, starts exploring other options. Shortly after Seattle signs Matt Flynn, leaving Miami as the only team that was interested in Smith besides SF.

Not surprisingly, the next week he resigns with the 49ers for basically the same amount of money that was offered to him previously (3 years, $24 million). Don't know about you, but that tells me that Smith/Condon thought they could squeeze more cash out of the FO, it blew up in their faces, and they have no one to blame but themselves.
[ Edited by baltien on May 31, 2012 at 9:07 AM ]
If the 49ers really wanted him, he would be a 49er unless he hates Super Bowl rings
Originally posted by cashmahne:
If the 49ers really wanted him, he would be a 49er unless he hates Super Bowl rings

In all honesty I don't think it's less about Super Bowls, and more about control. Anyone with a brain knows we gave Manning the best shot at winning a title. But he wouldn't have gotten the same contract and control of the offense here. And I respect that. He's a lock for the HOF so I guess he's entitled to be a control freak.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
First off, I don't think the Niners were willing to throw money at Manning like the Broncos. But they still have to pay a hefty price for him. So the evaluation makes a lot of sense. And I'm sure they must have talked to Manning too. To see if he really wants to be with the Niners. Goes back to what I've said before. Any GM with any common sense will want to make sure he's committed to the team before putting millions and cap future on an older Manning.

I think once they talked to Manning and got the idea that he's leaning more towards the Broncos, they rightly let it be. And I really don't think Manning is the type that would string the Niners along. I think the Niners FO knew quite early on after the evaluating process that Manning wasn't going to go to them. It's the media that ran with it and gave it more legs then it was.

why do people think the 9ers backed away?

The Weekend before Decision Monday it was Three Teams (9ers,Tenn, Den) No contract terms or $$ was said or written on how much PM/Agent wanted. (Tenn/Den offered and threw out numbers)

That whole weekend everyone one was waiting including the 9ers

When PM made his decision, Shortly after that he had his agent start working on a contract.

It was 'reported' that Manning was down to 3 teams Broncos, Niners, and Tennessee. Then it was Broncos and Niners. Speculation more than reporting. I don't think the Niners backed away. More like we are available interested party and respect Manning's decision. In another words they had put everything on the table knowing the other team like the Broncos may be offering more in way of money and what not. I don't think Baalke was ready to mortgage the franchise for Manning but at the same time they were willing to get Manning signed if he decides to go with us.

Putting what they can on the table then let the player decide, has been Baalke's MO. They didn't walkaway.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on May 31, 2012 at 9:14 AM ]
First off, I don't think the Niners were willing to throw money at Manning like the Broncos. But they still have to pay a hefty price for him. So the evaluation makes a lot of sense. And I'm sure they must have talked to Manning too. To see if he really wants to be with the Niners. Goes back to what I've said before. Any GM with any common sense will want to make sure he's committed to the team before putting millions and cap future on an older Manning.

I think once they talked to Manning and got the idea that he's leaning more towards the Broncos, they rightly let it be. And I really don't think Manning is the type that would string the Niners along. I think the Niners FO knew quite early on after the evaluating process that Manning wasn't going to go to them. It's the media that ran with it and gave it more legs then it was.

why do people think the 9ers backed away?

The Weekend before Decision Monday it was Three Teams (9ers,Tenn, Den) No contract terms or $$ was said or written on how much PM/Agent wanted. (Tenn/Den offered and threw out numbers)

That whole weekend everyone one was waiting including the 9ers

When PM made his decision, Shortly after that he had his agent start working on a contract.

It was 'reported' that Manning was down to 3 teams Broncos, Niners, and Tennessee. Then it was Broncos and Niners. Speculation more than reporting. I don't think the Niners backed away. More like we are available interested party and respect Manning's decision. In another words they had put everything on the table knowing the other team like the Broncos may be offering more in way of money and what not. I don't think Baalke was ready to mortgage the franchise for Manning but at the same time they were willing to get Manning signed if he decides to go with us.

Who Knows, Paraage might have worked out a great low money incentive deal
Who Knows, Paraage might have worked out a great low money incentive deal

I edited my response:

Putting what they can on the table then let the player decide, has been Baalke's MO. They didn't walkaway.
Could it not be that our reported contact with Manning was a favor to Tom Condon? That our "presence" in the Manning sweepstakes is what forced the Broncos' hand in giving up a ton to Manning? If I were the Denver GM and heard that a SB contender suddenly threw their hat in the ring on someone I desperately wanted to be on my team? That unknown bluff would tempt me to offer the player more than I originally planned to, and would obviously benefit player and agent.
Could it not be that our reported contact with Manning was a favor to Tom Condon? That our "presence" in the Manning sweepstakes is what forced the Broncos' hand in giving up a ton to Manning? If I were the Denver GM and heard that a SB contender suddenly threw their hat in the ring on someone I desperately wanted to be on my team? That unknown bluff would tempt me to offer the player more than I originally planned to, and would obviously benefit player and agent.

If Alex would have stayed and not do any team visits then that might be plausible, but we almost lost AS

That's a very good possibility too at the time. It actually serves 2 purpose; Niners was evaluating Manning honestly and put up legit competitive interest for Condon. It was a dream scenario if you are an agent like Condon.

If Alex would have stayed and not do any team visits then that might be plausible, but we almost lost AS

Maybe it could still be plausible and also explain the trip to Miami. Theory: Alex was never supposed to hear about this pseudo-Manning pursuit... this pursuit was never supposed to make it to the media papers... but someone leaked it. So then, Alex suddenly feels betrayed and starts to wonder about his offer and being back with SF. Maybe Jim and Trent couldn't get in contact with Alex at this point to let him in on the bluff, and Alex gets proactive in hopping a flight.

I know, I know... all wild theories, but that's what we all do.. speculate, and the speculation is typically from the perspective we prefer to believe.

Smith flew to Miami after he had a pick yourself up corn dog.
They had the cap room to make him an offer, they made him no offer
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
If you are happy with your QB there is no need to "evaluate" another QB.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DirtyP:
They had the cap room to make him an offer, they made him no offer
many are?were worried had we did a big offer we would not have had cap room to resign some of our valuable guys like rogers etc. do you adhere to that theory? it is interesting to think about
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

I dont even think you really believe that. Do you really thing Manning needs teams to do him a favor, come on dude you're better than that.
Share 49ersWebzone