LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 278 users in the forums

Is David Akers the best kicker we ever had?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is David Akers the best kicker we ever had?

Originally posted by kray28:
Me personally, I always liked Mike Cofer

I've got pitchforks, who has torches?
  • jdean
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RayWersching:
uh hmmmm.....

They were 2 of the 3 kickers( mike-Mayer was the third) before you joined the team ray. http://www.fantasyfootballchallenge.com/32-28-9/san-francisco-49ers-kickers.html. This is a great site for all NINERS players at every position.
Originally posted by 9ERFANINAZ:
He always walked out there with his head down, refusing to look at the goal post.
We'd be hard pressed to look back and name a better kicker, or at least one so gifted in both accuracy and leg strength. So far, he has been a machine even at 50 plus yards!
Reading the comments on the recent articles about what Harbaugh and Smith said on wednesday, most commenters are saying Harbaugh is flat out lying.

I put forth that Peyton never got an offer and Alex always had an offer which could be signed at anytime. I think Peyton is the type of player a front office would be stupid to ignore, but that we wouldn't have signed him unless he looked healthy and was willing to come on the cheap (ala Randy Moss).

I don't recall exactly who leaked that Harbaugh had sat in on a throw-around (which I think was a Titans workout), but the 'info' the TMZers of the football world (LaCanfora etc) relayed from anonymous sources were extrapolated into some serious pursuit that I don't think ever really happened.

What do you think?

http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/videos/Harbaugh-Clarifies-Manning-Evaluation/96fba58d-3b75-47f9-a86d-c1a3a72a1339
[ Edited by mug0mug on May 31, 2012 at 3:57 AM ]
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Alex was a FA - so they couldn't have cut him. But yea, it seems like - Niners wanted Manning but were not willing to pay him anything close to what he got from Broncos.
Harbaugh says what he has to say. Crabtree has the best hands he's ever seen, Alex was the QB all along, etc. Saying these things instills confidence in the player, or, in this case, it's an attempt to quiet some trash talking (Beason dissing Alex because the Niners showed interest in Peyton).

If Peyton chose SF, he'd be here right now. We know this, despite what Harbaugh is saying.

It wouldn't surprise me if Harbaugh called Peyton and said "hey, I'm gonna go ahead and say we were never interested so the media will get off Alex's back."

That is no knock on Alex, either. Peyton Manning is one of the greatest QBs of all time. Of course you're interested - unless you have Brady, Brees, Rodgers or the other Manning.
[ Edited by 49erRider on May 31, 2012 at 3:54 AM ]
I don't think Harbaugh is one to lie about anything. I believe what coach said.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Alex was a FA - so they couldn't have cut him. But yea, it seems like - Niners wanted Manning but were not willing to pay him anything close to what he got from Broncos.

Yea, mindless error. Fixed. TY
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Harbaugh says what he has to say. Crabtree has the best hands he's ever seen, Alex was the QB all along, etc. Saying these things instills confidence in the player, or, in this case, it's an attempt to quiet some trash talking (Beason dissing Alex because the Niners showed interest in Peyton).

If Peyton chose SF, he'd be here right now. We know this, despite what Harbaugh is saying.

It wouldn't surprise me if Harbaugh called Peyton and said "hey, I'm gonna go ahead and say we were never interested so the media will get off Alex's back."

That is no knock on Alex, either. Peyton Manning is one of the greatest QBs of all time. Of course you're interested - unless you have Brady, Brees, Rodgers or the other Manning.

Doubt it... just think what the 49ers would have had to sacrifice to sign a gamble like Peyton. We sign Manning then we most definitely cant afford to keep some of our own guys.

I dont recall the 49ers FO ever making an offer to Peyton. Also if the FO were really interested, Peyton would have been visiting the Bay Area but never did (despite everyone in the world saying this team was the best fit.)
I think Jim is a very genuine guy.

I also think his extreme praises are not to be taken quite so literally. If he says someone is elite or has elite hands? It just means he thinks highly of the player and hands. Jim just doesn't try as hard as most to step on egg shells when picking the exact words that others would find more appropriate.
He was better off not even commenting on the subject. Props for trying to boosts Smith's confidence but we all know they were doing way more than evaluating. This is just coach talk. .
I will trust Harbaugh until he proves to be untrustworthy. Whether he shades the truth or not doesn't really matter for all the good reason mentioned--signing Manning would have been a problem team-wise.
Originally posted by BayArea:
Doubt it... just think what the 49ers would have had to sacrifice to sign a gamble like Peyton. We sign Manning then we most definitely cant afford to keep some of our own guys.

Like who? We had cap room. We may have lost some players, but none that Peyton wouldn't make up for. Bottom line: you don't bother to show up to Peyton's workout if you're not interested. And, if they truly weren't interested, why did they not come out and say so right off the bat?

Anyone who believes this is being gullible.
Share 49ersWebzone