There are 166 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers and why they will beat GB

Originally posted by strat1080:
Originally posted by Joecool:
GB has a deadly ice cold passing game, a group of aggressive DB's mixed in with Clay Mathews. That is a VERY deadly combination since they can put up points. What I am also seeing is that teams panic against them and completely get away from the run. Once GB got up by 2 TD's, MIN went away from the run. I never get why teams do this because if they get 1 TD, then they are only one score away.

GB hasn't really played anyone yet but one cannot ignore the bold. After watching MNF, man Rodgers is throwing like Marino out there with that mentality that there is no defense for a perfect pass. He's making defenders look dumb with his ball placement. Our enter coverage, LB's included, will need to be aware of when the ball is coming.

HOWEVER, GB has not played a balanced team like us...not even last year.
1. Rodgers was able to move around the pocket even upon initial pressure. The difference between us and what MIN did is that we have been great this year with our secondary pressure. Once our 1st guy forced the QB to move, pass rushers #2 and #3 come quickly to clean up.

2. GB has a manufactured pass rush. This plays right into a team like the 49ers hands. They have a very unbalanced pass rush and WILL get gashed vs our type of running game and PA off of that with the way we run 2 TE and unbalanced formations.

I think #2 is the main reason GB will have a lot of trouble against us. Because of our Tight Ends, we force teams to play out of their comfort and to play mostly out of their base. They cannot commit too much either way.

Also, in the past few years, we have made the elite QB's finish games against us with lower than their average rating. Yes, Eli got a couple of big plays vs us but those mistakes are fixable and were not do to low talent.

See what I don't understand is why so many of you have to disrespect Green Bay. The 49ers schedule hasn't really been that much tougher than Green Bay's. They have both beat the same amount of teams with winning records. I seriously don't get it. The Saints are every bit as good as the Giants. The Falcons and Bears are every bit as good as the Lions. Both teams have beat 3 teams with a winning record. I don't get the "they haven't played anybody" stance some of you folks are taking. It just doesn't make any sense.

SF has played 4 teams in the top 10 in total Defense and 6 teams on the top 13.
GB has played 1 team in the top 13 in total Defense.

GB played CHI when they were not playing well and had MAJOR issues with sacks and Martz was looking like an idiot. ATL was inconsistent at that time also. During that time, those teams were under .500.

49ers played DET when they were hot and undefeated. We played NYG when they were hot and on a role. We played Tampa Bay when they were 3-1. We beat CIN and they have consistently been a strong team.

I'm not taking anything away from GB in terms of what they can do. I think they are capable of doing this vs any team, BUT I have to see it vs a run of top teams first. GB really hasn't played any defensive team yet.
[ Edited by Joecool on Nov 15, 2011 at 9:42 AM ]
Originally posted by Otter:
Yes and their #26 pass defense would get absolutely ripped apart by Green Bay. The Packers for example are #12 and #8 in the stats you just mentioned. Does that mean they have a good defense? You have to take the whole thing into account. Being really good against the run does absolutely nothing for you against teams like the Saints and Packers. You know, the last two Super Bowl winners. Its the 21st century now. You can't get away with running the ball and stopping the run. Running teams don't win Super Bowls anymore.

Yet.
It has been a while since we've seen a running team win but then again it is difficult to find a truly elite workhorse RB in the mold of Walter Payton, Emmit Smith or Otis Anderson these days. That genre of players are a very rare commodity it seems. It appears that the 49ers have just that kind of throwback player in Frank Gore. As teams have concentrated their resources on the defensive side to halt the passing offenses, there may be some room to exploit their deficiencies on run defense. The 49ers could be one of the very few teams uniquely qualified to achieve such a feat with Gore and an revitalized offensive line leading the way. This likely depends on coaching and that staff creating a specific game plan to maximize those strengths and exploit the opponents' weaknesses. The 80's NY Giants were a team that had the planning and personnel to bring a very potent 49er offense, full of all time great players, to a grinding pace. Those lower scoring games generally gave the Giants a very good chance for victory. Without dismissing the great success that Green Bay has had this season, that team does not appear to have nearly the talent that 80's 49ers possessed. As for the 49er defense, they have potential to be great, but legends are made in the postseason. That's where they can write their script.
Originally posted by 49erDynasty:
Originally posted by Otter:
Yes and their #26 pass defense would get absolutely ripped apart by Green Bay. The Packers for example are #12 and #8 in the stats you just mentioned. Does that mean they have a good defense? You have to take the whole thing into account. Being really good against the run does absolutely nothing for you against teams like the Saints and Packers. You know, the last two Super Bowl winners. Its the 21st century now. You can't get away with running the ball and stopping the run. Running teams don't win Super Bowls anymore.

Yet.
It has been a while since we've seen a running team win but then again it is difficult to find a truly elite workhorse RB in the mold of Walter Payton, Emmit Smith or Otis Anderson these days. That genre of players are a very rare commodity it seems. It appears that the 49ers have just that kind of throwback player in Frank Gore. As teams have concentrated their resources on the defensive side to halt the passing offenses, there may be some room to exploit their deficiencies on run defense. The 49ers could be one of the very few teams uniquely qualified to achieve such a feat with Gore and an revitalized offensive line leading the way. This likely depends on coaching and that staff creating a specific game plan to maximize those strengths and exploit the opponents' weaknesses. The 80's NY Giants were a team that had the planning and personnel to bring a very potent 49er offense, full of all time great players, to a grinding pace. Those lower scoring games generally gave the Giants a very good chance for victory. Without dismissing the great success that Green Bay has had this season, that team does not appear to have nearly the talent that 80's 49ers possessed. As for the 49er defense, they have potential to be great, but legends are made in the postseason. That's where they can write their script.

I think a lot of people have an incorrect assumption about us when they use the term "running team." Running team, to most people, means a team that scores around 17 points, shortens the game, and plays great defense.

We are ranked #7 in points per game. THIS running team can score some points. THAT, my friends, is a recipe for a superbowl.
You guys C'mon man. We do not know who are we going to play in the nfc championship game. It could be Chicago IN chicago? It would be anyone at anywhere because we still have half the season to play. To say "we can beat GB" is so arrogant on soooo many levels. You're assuming that they will breeze through the playoffs without anyone having a chance to win or we will automatically go to the NFC championship game without breaking a sweat. We need to play our divisional opponent as well as our wild card opponent (if it comes down to that) Let's focus on this season and revisit this if need be.
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
You guys C'mon man. We do not know who are we going to play in the nfc championship game. It could be Chicago IN chicago? It would be anyone at anywhere because we still have half the season to play. To say "we can beat GB" is so arrogant on soooo many levels. You're assuming that they will breeze through the playoffs without anyone having a chance to win or we will automatically go to the NFC championship game without breaking a sweat. We need to play our divisional opponent as well as our wild card opponent (if it comes down to that) Let's focus on this season and revisit this if need be.

Who's looking ahead? I thought we are discussing how they would matchup if they played now.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Out of almost 50 Super Bowls, you're able to name a whopping 2 nobodies who QB'd the winning team. Think about that.

Top flight QBs win the majority of championships.
Yea like Bradshaw, Namath, Plunkett, McMahon, Simms, Doug Williams, Rypien, Eli Manning and dare i say Elway all avg quarterbacks with the exception of Elway but imo he was garbage his first 10 yrs.
Originally posted by Joecool:
I think a lot of people have an incorrect assumption about us when they use the term "running team." Running team, to most people, means a team that scores around 17 points, shortens the game, and plays great defense.

We are ranked #7 in points per game. THIS running team can score some points. THAT, my friends, is a recipe for a superbowl.
Quite true, the 49ers are one of the truly well balanced teams currently in the league and that is part of the reason they can score. This team has an uncommon and valuable quality of being able to win by either employing a pass or run first offense. Not many teams can genuinely claim to have demonstrated this, but this team can. It seems that all facets have come to see fruition this season.
Why do you thinks that 49ers will beat GB? Why you are all excite about it? idiot the questions because you are all ego s**t.. You need all calm down and be cool. You need to be patience if 49ers will challenge vs GB in playoff.. then they will beat GB in playoff then Championship for real.. You need be patience man.. Wait and see till playoff!! Lets Go 49ers!!
I love when people have to lie to themselves about another team to take their minds off their mediocre at best football team (Furlow)! The Packers have played NO ONE?? The Falcon or Saints are NO ONE?? The Bears in Soldier field.....roughest rivalry in NFL history! I understand that you are within the protection of your fellow 49ers fans here but woooooooow!!!! Even they must know the dumb(ness) that speak is flat out embarrasing!! The Green Bay Packers are the best for multiple reasons and only a coward scared and weak minded person would say such foolish things! Bring the 49ers any day off the week and I promise you that they will be slaughtered worse than some of the actual good teams that the Packers have already beat! You just sound like a small child defending his daddys favorite football team, and obviously not ready to give an honest analisys on football!!
Originally posted by PackTruth:
I love when people have to lie to themselves about another team to take their minds off their mediocre at best football team (Furlow)! The Packers have played NO ONE?? The Falcon or Saints are NO ONE?? The Bears in Soldier field.....roughest rivalry in NFL history! I understand that you are within the protection of your fellow 49ers fans here but woooooooow!!!! Even they must know the dumb(ness) that speak is flat out embarrasing!! The Green Bay Packers are the best for multiple reasons and only a coward scared and weak minded person would say such foolish things! Bring the 49ers any day off the week and I promise you that they will be slaughtered worse than some of the actual good teams that the Packers have already beat! You just sound like a small child defending his daddys favorite football team, and obviously not ready to give an honest analisys on football!!

Falcons and Saint's are not playing like years before if you want to make comparisons to good teams. Plus you played them all early in the year which they were playing ball even worse then they are playing now.

Your offense hasn't played a Top ten Defense ! or played even a decent Running team !

c'mon man !

GB can possibly lose 3 in a row these next three games !
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Nov 16, 2011 at 8:15 AM ]
Originally posted by PackTruth:

I wouldn't say they haven't played anyone, but I would say that you obviously don't know what you are talking about if you think your non defending packers would slaughter a good defense. Your team hasn't been tested against a good defense yet, the best team your pack has faced was a bears team that was trying to win by throwing the ball when their pass protection broke down. San Diego gave the packers all they could handle and then some. If Rivers wasn't sucking this year your team loses that game because they couldn't cover the one receiver he kept throwing to. I can't wait to see how the bears play the pack now that they realize they have a top running back to chew up the clock. You better hope that you guys offensive line can keep captain concussion healthy against the defensive lines coming up in the schedule, he is the only thing keeping that team competitive. Good luck, see you in January.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Falcons and Saint's are not playing like years before if you want to make comparisons to good teams. Plus you played them all early in the year which they weren't even worse then they are playing now.

Your offense hasn't played a Top ten Defense ! or played even a decent Running team !

c'mon man !

They played the bears and Vikings but both teams stupidly went away from the running game, well the Vikings ran all over the pack the first meeting. The part about not facing a top defense is true though. They will get their chance though.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Falcons and Saint's are not playing like years before if you want to make comparisons to good teams. Plus you played them all early in the year which they weren't even worse then they are playing now.

c'mon man !

They played the bears and Vikings but both teams stupidly went away from the running game, well the Vikings ran all over the pack the first meeting. The part about not facing a top defense is true though. They will get their chance though.

Bears didn't even try to run and Minn mostly got their yardage in the first half because Minn D gave up 20 in the 3rd Qtr
Originally posted by westcoastchamp:
This game if we meet is starting to remind me of the NYG/ NE SB everyone said pats where unbeatable and NY def won that game with eli as a game manager. we are looking like the ravens/tampa/NYG super bowl winning teams. they all faced good offences and won. Defence wins championships

I was thinking of the samething earlier today......can't wait...
Originally posted by FourNine49:
How about we take the necessary steps into getting in a game between us and the Pack. Depending on our finishing record that could mean 1 or 2 playoff wins before facing them.

Let's be a little humble here guys
Players should remain humble, fans on the other hand should not....