LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 262 users in the forums

49ers and why they will beat GB

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by strat1080:
Overrated? They finished the 2010 season by beating "SIX STRAIGHT" opponents with 10 wins or better. They've extended that into a now 15 game winning streak. Overrated? Really? Its not like they haven't played anybody during that streak. They had the most injuries in the NFL last year and had to make a lot of adjustments throughout the year. They also played the toughest schedule of any team that made the playoffs. They had 5 road games against teams that made the playoffs.

New Orleans is better than any team the 49ers have played. They played Atlanta and Chicago on the road. They've played nobody? Really? You need to take the red and gold glasses off son. Its nice to have confidence in your team but to say a defending Super Bowl champion that is currently undefeated is overrated, is just over the top. They've both beat the same amount of teams that have or had a winning record at the time they've played them. Its not like the 49ers have played a brutal schedule.

New Orleans is not better than the Giants, the Bucs beat them. Just keep posting this nonsense. The Pack have only played two teams that are any good at all this year. Their toughest games are yet to come. I hope the dirty ass lions crush Rodgers whether they win or not. The packers are almost as good as the patriots team that lost to the giants in the superbowl, but we won't know until they are battle tested. If you think a team without a running game that plays terrible defense against terrible competition is going to win it all, you must be a cheesehead homer.
Originally posted by 9ers4u:
It's true that defense wins championships! Take the '89 49ers for instance when they won the Superbowl against the Broncos...they only gave up 10 points!

Originally posted by blm7754:
Well, here is the problem with that argument.... our defense isn't THAT good. Our front 7 is the best in the NFL, but our DBs get torched by any decent QB. We need improved CB play from T. Brown and Culliver if we are going to beat GB.

Sure would be nice if Spencer would return to form.

That's all I was trying to say. Those great Ravens and Bucs defenses were among the best all time. Its debatable whether or not the 49ers are the best in the NFL right now. Rodgers played the #1 defense in the NFL in the Super Bowl and torched them. You can't win on defense alone.
Originally posted by Furlow:
Green Bay is good and all, but if any team is overrated right now it's them. It's not like they were unstoppable last year. They got on a hot streak at the right time and no one had time to figure them out. This season they've played NO ONE so who knows how good they really are.

The thing that stands out to me is they are completely one dimensional. Their run game is trash and come December and January, that is not good. If we're fortunate enough to play them in the NFC Championship, I don't think it will matter where the game is. Candlestick will be a mud bowl, and Lambeau will be frozen - neither one is good for throwing the football.

Bottom line is our team is built to play in the playoffs. Tough defense, power run, efficient passing. We can play with ANYONE, and our coaching gives us an advantage almost every week (if not every week). The only reason I'm not 100% excited is because it's been so long and I can't help but be cautious with my enthusiasm. If a season like this was happening during the 80's or 90's we'd all be talking about our Super Bowl accommodations.

Overrated? They finished the 2010 season by beating "SIX STRAIGHT" opponents with 10 wins or better. They've extended that into a now 15 game winning streak. Overrated? Really? Its not like they haven't played anybody during that streak. They had the most injuries in the NFL last year and had to make a lot of adjustments throughout the year. They also played the toughest schedule of any team that made the playoffs. They had 5 road games against teams that made the playoffs.

New Orleans is better than any team the 49ers have played. They played Atlanta and Chicago on the road. They've played nobody? Really? You need to take the red and gold glasses off son. Its nice to have confidence in your team but to say a defending Super Bowl champion that is currently undefeated is overrated, is just over the top. They've both beat the same amount of teams that have or had a winning record at the time they've played them. Its not like the 49ers have played a brutal schedule.

GB has a deadly ice cold passing game, a group of aggressive DB's mixed in with Clay Mathews. That is a VERY deadly combination since they can put up points. What I am also seeing is that teams panic against them and completely get away from the run. Once GB got up by 2 TD's, MIN went away from the run. I never get why teams do this because if they get 1 TD, then they are only one score away.

GB hasn't really played anyone yet but one cannot ignore the bold. After watching MNF, man Rodgers is throwing like Marino out there with that mentality that there is no defense for a perfect pass. He's making defenders look dumb with his ball placement. Our enter coverage, LB's included, will need to be aware of when the ball is coming.

HOWEVER, GB has not played a balanced team like us...not even last year.
1. Rodgers was able to move around the pocket even upon initial pressure. The difference between us and what MIN did is that we have been great this year with our secondary pressure. Once our 1st guy forced the QB to move, pass rushers #2 and #3 come quickly to clean up.

2. GB has a manufactured pass rush. This plays right into a team like the 49ers hands. They have a very unbalanced pass rush and WILL get gashed vs our type of running game and PA off of that with the way we run 2 TE and unbalanced formations.

I think #2 is the main reason GB will have a lot of trouble against us. Because of our Tight Ends, we force teams to play out of their comfort and to play mostly out of their base. They cannot commit too much either way.

Also, in the past few years, we have made the elite QB's finish games against us with lower than their average rating. Yes, Eli got a couple of big plays vs us but those mistakes are fixable and were not do to low talent.
We can beat the packers and we can do it with the defense and a running game. The things that cant happen is turnovers and penalities. The things that must happen, long sustain drives with TDs not fieldgoals, lots of first downs, control the clock. It would be to our advantage to have the worst game conditions weather wise.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
New Orleans is not better than the Giants, the Bucs beat them. Just keep posting this nonsense. The Pack have only played two teams that are any good at all this year. Their toughest games are yet to come. I hope the dirty ass lions crush Rodgers whether they win or not. The packers are almost as good as the patriots team that lost to the giants in the superbowl, but we won't know until they are battle tested. If you think a team without a running game that plays terrible defense against terrible competition is going to win it all, you must be a cheesehead homer.

So you're one of those fans that play the "they beat them and we beat them, so therefore we are better than them" game. That's silly. I really do think the Saints are better than the Giants. Much better offense and the defenses are about equal. The Giants lost to the Seahawks at home for crying out loud. As a person who watches football you have to respect a defending Super Bowl champion that has yet to lose a game. During their final six games to finish the regular season and postseason last year they beat six straight teams with 10 wins or better. They haven't had the toughest schedule this year, but neither have the 49ers. The schedules are a wash. Neither are really all that impressive. Green Bay has proven it can beat good teams in the playoffs.

Some may call me a troll. I'm just a realist. Every week I'm seeing multiple threads about how SF matches up with GB. Some posts even go as far as saying Green Bay is overrated? I hope the players don't have the same mentality. Green Bay isn't even on the schedule and they likely won't even play until late January. Some of you folks are getting ahead of yourselves. Green Bay is a proven team with a proven Super Bowl winning QB. Alex Smith has a lot more growing to do before he can knock off a team like that. They've had a double digit lead in the 4th quarter of every single game this year. They aren't playing the toughest schedule but its not like they're barely winning games either.
So you're one of those fans that play the "they beat them and we beat them, so therefore we are better than them" game. That's silly. I really do think the Saints are better than the Giants. Much better offense and the defenses are about equal. The Giants lost to the Seahawks at home for crying out loud. As a person who watches football you have to respect a defending Super Bowl champion that has yet to lose a game. During their final six games to finish the regular season and postseason last year they beat six straight teams with 10 wins or better. They haven't had the toughest schedule this year, but neither have the 49ers. The schedules are a wash. Neither are really all that impressive. Green Bay has proven it can beat good teams in the playoffs.

Some may call me a troll. I'm just a realist. Every week I'm seeing multiple threads about how SF matches up with GB. Some posts even go as far as saying Green Bay is overrated? I hope the players don't have the same mentality. Green Bay isn't even on the schedule and they likely won't even play until late January. Some of you folks are getting ahead of yourselves. Green Bay is a proven team with a proven Super Bowl winning QB. Alex Smith has a lot more growing to do before he can knock off a team like that. They've had a double digit lead in the 4th quarter of every single game this year. They aren't playing the toughest schedule but its not like they're barely winning games either.

GB is pulling every trick in their play book for these easy teams, 9ers are setting up a Trojan Horse and wheeling it to GB's door steps
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Nov 15, 2011 at 9:22 AM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
GB has a deadly ice cold passing game, a group of aggressive DB's mixed in with Clay Mathews. That is a VERY deadly combination since they can put up points. What I am also seeing is that teams panic against them and completely get away from the run. Once GB got up by 2 TD's, MIN went away from the run. I never get why teams do this because if they get 1 TD, then they are only one score away.

GB hasn't really played anyone yet but one cannot ignore the bold. After watching MNF, man Rodgers is throwing like Marino out there with that mentality that there is no defense for a perfect pass. He's making defenders look dumb with his ball placement. Our enter coverage, LB's included, will need to be aware of when the ball is coming.

1. Rodgers was able to move around the pocket even upon initial pressure. The difference between us and what MIN did is that we have been great this year with our secondary pressure. Once our 1st guy forced the QB to move, pass rushers #2 and #3 come quickly to clean up.

2. GB has a manufactured pass rush. This plays right into a team like the 49ers hands. They have a very unbalanced pass rush and WILL get gashed vs our type of running game and PA off of that with the way we run 2 TE and unbalanced formations.

I think #2 is the main reason GB will have a lot of trouble against us. Because of our Tight Ends, we force teams to play out of their comfort and to play mostly out of their base. They cannot commit too much either way.

Also, in the past few years, we have made the elite QB's finish games against us with lower than their average rating. Yes, Eli got a couple of big plays vs us but those mistakes are fixable and were not do to low talent.

See what I don't understand is why so many of you have to disrespect Green Bay. The 49ers schedule hasn't really been that much tougher than Green Bay's. They have both beat the same amount of teams with winning records. I seriously don't get it. The Saints are every bit as good as the Giants. The Falcons and Bears are every bit as good as the Lions. Both teams have beat 3 teams with a winning record. I don't get the "they haven't played anybody" stance some of you folks are taking. It just doesn't make any sense.
[ Edited by strat1080 on Nov 15, 2011 at 9:24 AM ]
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
GB is pulling every trick in their play book for these easy teams, 9ers are setting up a Trojan Horse and wheeling it to GB's door steps

I haven't seen Green Bay running very many tricks. That is the thing about them. They just execute well. Most of the time, the defense knows what's coming but Rodgers and his WRs are simply better than any defense they've played. What tricks have the Packers used to beat easy teams? Go ahead and tell me. It seems the 49ers are winning more on scheme trickery than Green Bay.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by verb1der:
I don't know guys. After watching the Packers demolish the Vikings last night, Aaron Rodgers is simply unstoppable with those back-shoulder throws, I don't think any defense has an answer at the moment, not even the Niners.

But we'll see when it happens.

The Vikings let those receivers run free, made it easy on Rodgers. Big corners playing bump and run would do better. The pass rush was getting there in the first half.

Idk man, it's too hard to press those big WRs for so long, and Rodgers have been killing every single defense its faced with those "back-shoulder" throws. It's literally unstoppable.

The Packers right now is displaying a passing game that is unseen and is the reason why they blow teams out, and score with ease.
Theyll beat the packers because I'm going to kidnapp Aaron Rogers the day before the game. I'll go to prison but it will be worth it if we win a super bowl.

Let's get there first. Enough of this talk. We don't even have a first rd bye. Let's get in the playoffs first them go from there. In my opinion I don't think we could beat them right now. That offense is still damn potent especially vs our db's
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
If you believe then you can achieve Just look at me Against all odds, though life is hard we carry on Livin' in the projects, broke with no lights on To all the seeds that follow me protect your essence Born with less, but you still precious Just smile for me now
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

I haven't seen Green Bay running very many tricks. That is the thing about them. They just execute well. Most of the time, the defense knows what's coming but Rodgers and his WRs are simply better than any defense they've played. What tricks have the Packers used to beat easy teams? Go ahead and tell me. It seems the 49ers are winning more on scheme trickery than Green Bay.

Seriously what were you watching ?

delayed FB Screens in the flat, TE motion to wide out. Pick plays with a lot of crossing routes...I didn't say trick plays as in flea flickers and fake FG/Punts but using every play in their play book instead of beating them straight up.

they tried a straight up game in their previous meeting in Minn and almost got beat. They needed to bring out more plays this game because they didn't want a repeat game to a bad team.

What also helped is a blind eye on some Jordy Nelson's push offs by the Ref's
Since we're going hypothetical, the way we beat GB is by having Willis AND Bowman by alternating the "spy" role like they did against Vick. To me, that's the only way to be able to stop him when he's out of the pocket. He's going to make his throws. We have to downright terrorize him every time he does, contest every throw. The way to do that is pressure, but not a full scale blitz. Instead, rush four, have Willis or Bowman cover the TE or RB coming out and the other spy on Rodgers. Well, if the back stays to protect, then Willis/Bowman would attack through the pocket to get to Rodgers.

If Rodgers leaves the pocket, the other ILB will have him like Bowman did with Vick. Expect the same kind of D we employed against the Eagles. Except this time, Aldon Smith will have more experience under his belt. We can apply pressure with this front four....Brooks--J. Smith--McD--A. Smith/Haralson. Then the next tier would be Willis and Bowman. Now we get Rogers, Brown, and Culiver at CB and Goldson, Whitner/R. Smith as safeties. The reason we can compete and beat Rodgers is because of Willis and Bowman. They allow Fangio to employ 4-5 pass rushers instead of having to go upto 6. Rogers does very well against the blitz. We need to pressure w/o the blitz and take him down when he's out of the pocket immediately.

He had all day last night because he could move around and throw. Hard to throw when Willis or Bowman is in your face.

On offense, we will attack the GB D's weakness. GB will focus on stopping Gore just like NYG did and we will counter with Alex. I believe our OL will get to a point where they will be a dominating line, just dominate. They will keep Alex upright and make lanes for Gore and Co. The OL is the real key to our offense and successfully executing the "game plan". I expect us to try to go up fast and keep the lead. Once there, ground and pound with all three back to keep fresh legs out on the field at all times.

I truly believe we have the more balanced team on offense, defense AND special teams. This game is not Alex VS Aaron. It's the 49ers VS Packers, team VS team.

We will win this game!!!! Hypothetically of course...

BTW....I heard Alex on KNBR and he talked about how they've just skimmed the surface with this offense. So that leads me to believe, we haven't seen nothing yet with Alex and friends. That really is a scary good though.

[ Edited by ninertico on Nov 15, 2011 at 9:44 AM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:

See what I don't understand is why so many of you have to disrespect Green Bay. The 49ers schedule hasn't really been that much tougher than Green Bay's. They have both beat the same amount of teams with winning records. I seriously don't get it. The Saints are every bit as good as the Giants. The Falcons and Bears are every bit as good as the Lions. Both teams have beat 3 teams with a winning record. I don't get the "they haven't played anybody" stance some of you folks are taking. It just doesn't make any sense.

SF has played 4 teams in the top 10 in total Defense and 6 teams on the top 13.
GB has played 1 team in the top 13 in total Defense.

GB played CHI when they were not playing well and had MAJOR issues with sacks and Martz was looking like an idiot. ATL was inconsistent at that time also. During that time, those teams were under .500.

49ers played DET when they were hot and undefeated. We played NYG when they were hot and on a role. We played Tampa Bay when they were 3-1. We beat CIN and they have consistently been a strong team.

I'm not taking anything away from GB in terms of what they can do. I think they are capable of doing this vs any team, BUT I have to see it vs a run of top teams first. GB really hasn't played any defensive team yet.
[ Edited by Joecool on Nov 15, 2011 at 9:42 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone