LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 268 users in the forums

Mid season poll, what position is the weakness of the team?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Mid season poll, what position is the weakness of the team?

The 49ers were up against Dallas, the defense lost that game

Alex did what he was supposed to

Some people don't want to give credit where its due
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by laughsatyou:
if we had any QB other than Alex Smith we would be 8-0.

who laughs at who?

I'm playing the epic long game.
WR is our weak link right now, combined with a QB that needs to grow into throwing to them more.

They were trying to get the WR more involved in the passing game today -- thus the longer drop backs at the beginning of the game. But when you see the routes from behind the QB, you can see that the routes are not getting open. Some of that has to land on the play design.

The CB position is doing okay, Culliver is developing. Tarrell Brown looks bad when he is lined up soft, but when he is playing tight coverage he is typically running right with his man.

If losign Ray McD caused that much of a fall-off in pass pressure, maybe improving our DL talent should be a top priority.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Why isn't Spencer out there?

I think he is still recovering from his injury. Not sure what he first had but that was all of training camp and into the season. Then he came back and and played well against Cinci. Not sure which game but he got turf toe and that lingers. Could be that or this staff doesn't like him much. He has been great for us at times and bad at others. Was Brock back? Wish he would move to 3 with Rogers and Culliver at 1/2.
Spencer did not dress Today. That would be two weeks in a row were he was healthy and didn't play. That doesn't bode well for him. Brocks first week back from injury and he dresses. I think there may be an issue with Spencer and Fangio. Every other injured player that has come back and practiced fully has then played except Spencer. Both Whittner and Smith returned after full practice
Originally posted by HearstFan:
WR is our weak link right now, combined with a QB that needs to grow into throwing to them more.

They were trying to get the WR more involved in the passing game today -- thus the longer drop backs at the beginning of the game. But when you see the routes from behind the QB, you can see that the routes are not getting open. Some of that has to land on the play design.

The CB position is doing okay, Culliver is developing. Tarrell Brown looks bad when he is lined up soft, but when he is playing tight coverage he is typically running right with his man.

If losign Ray McD caused that much of a fall-off in pass pressure, maybe improving our DL talent should be a top priority.

good post
If our guys were better at catching the ball the QB would not be a weakness. I mean look at Victor Cruz he makes these spectacular grabs every week by making adjustments in the air. Our guys can't even make the routine catch sometimes. When was the last time we've seen someone from our team make the top 10 plays of the week?
[ Edited by gamechanger on Nov 6, 2011 at 3:04 PM ]
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
you forgot special teams on this survey, though I don't think they are the weakest. I voted WR, but I'm still not sure on the root cause. Is it excessive checkdowns or ill timed passes, or is it that they can't get separation down the field. I haven't figured it out.

All that being said, the last time we had a team this complete (O/D/ST) was when we had Steve Young IMO.
Offensive chemistry.
Losing Josh Morgan exposed every deep weakness to the role-playing functionality of our offense. -I can tell we're slowly trying to work Kyle Williams in, but will it be enough come January?
I dont think this team has a "weakness." I really dont. Our front 7 is dominant and same with the run game. The other positions are just "good," but certainly not weak.

Originally posted by niner4life21:
Offensive chemistry.

This. Specifically passing game chemistry. It's not one player or group of players.
Tarell Brown

End thread
Is it just me or red zone offense. We seem to be kicking more fiedl goals than not lately. I'm wondering if we aren't "hiding" the good stuff against teams like Cleveland, Cincy, and Washington. OR?? have we gotten a little run fixated in the red zone? We seem to be one dimensional when the field gets compressed. Maybe it's just me. I'd have to watch the games back.
[ Edited by VA49er on Nov 6, 2011 at 5:05 PM ]
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by HearstFan:

good post

You have to remember Will Tukuafa is on IR. So we have him and Dobbs behind RJF Not sure I would right those guys off yet before getting an upgrade. I am fine with what we have... obviously hurts that Will is on IR though. Some are saying a guy like Crick to replace Justin. I'm not worried.. he is 32 and is in the best shape of his career. He can probably go into his mid-upper 30s. Maybe not pro bowl level but solid.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Nov 6, 2011 at 5:06 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
QB is the obvious weakness on this team. Smith is playing better but its nowhere near elite level.

He's all about not making bad plays instead of making big plays.
Share 49ersWebzone