There are 141 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

ESPN - 49ers can succeed in Play Offs without great QB

• fryet
  • Veteran
I found this analysis my Mike Sando interesting.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/50333/whether-the-49ers-could-succeed-in-playoffs
The 85 bears did it, I see similarities got damnit!
2000 Ravens did it, but that was an anomaly. alex needs to put his team on his shoulders if they're going to succeed in the playoffs.
Psht. It's been done before. And with teams gearing up to defend the pass, we're in the minority of teams that run the ball well. Most teams will be ill-equipped to stop the run.
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Psht. It's been done before. And with teams gearing up to defend the pass, we're in the minority of teams that run the ball well. Most teams will be ill-equipped to stop the run.

This
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by verb1der:
The 85 bears did it, I see similarities got damnit!

"god dammit"
It happens probably once a decade so let's just hope it happens.
Brad Johnson

Eli Manning

Plenty of super bowl winners with a great defense and a QB who simply doesn't make mistakes.
i think alex can be a great qb his stats this year are pretty good compared to other 1st year WCO qb

either way our offense has looked better every week

and according to snyder we have only used about 40% of our playbook (probably doing the easier less complex plays now)

by the end of the year alex will be considered a good qb

next year with harbaugh and continuuity he will be considered a great qb (historically qb dont do well in first year of WCO)
Alex can carry the team when he needs to or when asked to. The problem is that the 49ers don't run a spread offense. I'm just sayin... The offense I believe is being held back not because of Smith, but because of the rapport with his WRs due to injuries, shortened season, OL sloooowly coming together. You just don't wake up one day and suddenly an instant effective dominant passing game shows up.
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Brad Johnson

Eli Manning

Plenty of super bowl winners with a great defense and a QB who simply doesn't make mistakes.

eli is by no means an elite qb, but he is more then just a game manager. not a fan of his, but he is a pretty good qb. sure he is half retarded and makes some bad throws, but he throws a pretty good long ball. check his stats this year.
I think people got it backwards, it's about time for THIS TEAM to carry Alex!

Superbowl! Superbowl! Superbowl!
Originally posted by njninersfan420:
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Brad Johnson

Eli Manning

eli is by no means an elite qb, but he is more then just a game manager. not a fan of his, but he is a pretty good qb. sure he is half retarded and makes some bad throws, but he throws a pretty good long ball. check his stats this year.

He's gotten alot better. The year they won the SB he threw for 208 yards/game, 56 completion % and a rating of 73. This is far from elite and Alex has performed better.
[ Edited by KowboyKiller on Nov 4, 2011 at 5:43 PM ]
Originally posted by Wubbie:

This may well be, just like when Walsh first came in, although he didn't have the talent, but there were glimpses, then when Montana was ready and we got the missing pieces in Lott Wright and Williamson in the draft and hicks through FA, the niners stunned everyone. Dallas saw it and so did everyone else, but they were ill equiped even though they knew what the niners were trying to do.

They know the run is coming, but how to deal with it? An occasional pass from the odd run formation keeps the opps with one eye caught looking the other way.

Lets hope the schemes keep coming.
edwardsbarry says:

Quote:
im a die hard rams fan so im a pretty good judge of other teams because i am very unbiased when it come to them. I am very biased on rams cuz i always think they are the best team. and i tend to hate on the seahaks steelers and patroits.

Quote:
the niners shoulda lost to the browns.throwing passes to lineman and dt's i know more about the 49ers than you and im not convinced. sometime bad teams end up with decent seasons because of they end up covering spreads that vegas needs to be covered.
this guy has to be the most delusional fan in the history of delusional fans. Somebody staple that graph at the bottom of the article to his forehead.
[ Edited by AXEGRINDER on Nov 4, 2011 at 5:50 PM ]