LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 265 users in the forums

ESPN - 49ers can succeed in Play Offs without great QB

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by verb1der:
I think people got it backwards, it's about time for THIS TEAM to carry Alex!

Superbowl! Superbowl! Superbowl!

Thats a good point. Agreed!
harbaugh gives a big F U to stereotypes and popular trends
  • fryet
  • Veteran
The point of Sando's article isn't that you need a perfect defense to win, it is that strong passing teams often lose to the more balanced team with an average QB. From the article:

Peyton Manning's Colts and Tom Brady's Patriots lost to a New York Jets team that has generally sought to run the ball, play strong defense and minimize the impact of its quarterback. Mark Sanchez was mediocre against the Colts and good against the Patriots. When the Jets finally lost to Pittsburgh in the championship round, Sanchez finished the game with 233 yards, two touchdowns and a 102.2 NFL passer rating. The Steelers held a 166-70 edge in rushing and scored with a fumble return, helping them win despite no touchdowns, two interceptions and a 35.5 passer rating from Ben Roethlisberger.

Thats a good point. Agreed!
Originally posted by Jcool:
The 85 bears did it, I see similarities got damnit!

"god dammit"

"dag gummit!"
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Brad Johnson

Eli Manning

Plenty of super bowl winners with a great defense and a QB who simply doesn't make mistakes.

I'd even go to say Tom Brady's first superbowl too.

this is a really good article. It is very fair, but overall I think the takeaway is that the perception of the 49ers weaknesses makes them seem weaker than they are. People are dubious about the team but there's little reason to be so.

Sando does a lot of good research for his posts. Like that dude a lot.
Yes we can succeed.

1) We have a really good overall team.

2) People underestimate Alex. His #'s are really good. They are going off of PAST PERCEPTION.

3) He's getting better all the time (Alex) and we used like 40% of the playbook. So we should continue to get better. Braylon back should take some pressure off VD and maybe we can finally get VD going which would make us more dynamic and explosive.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Alex can carry the team when he needs to or when asked to. The problem is that the 49ers don't run a spread offense. I'm just sayin... The offense I believe is being held back not because of Smith, but because of the rapport with his WRs due to injuries, shortened season, OL sloooowly coming together. You just don't wake up one day and suddenly an instant effective dominant passing game shows up.

Agree. I think the passing game could really begin to click by the end of the season

Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Alex can carry the team when he needs to or when asked to. The problem is that the 49ers don't run a spread offense. I'm just sayin... The offense I believe is being held back not because of Smith, but because of the rapport with his WRs due to injuries, shortened season, OL sloooowly coming together. You just don't wake up one day and suddenly an instant effective dominant passing game shows up.

Agree. I think the passing game could really begin to click by the end of the season

+1
It's a good thing we don't have to find out!

Originally posted by Baugh_Area:

Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by Baugh_Area:

Nothing gets by you

Go Niners!
the ravens did it in 2000 with dilfer and a top defense
Share 49ersWebzone