LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 288 users in the forums

If Alex reaches the NFC championship this year, or possibly the SB,

Shop Find 49ers gear online
just one year later than Rodgers, does drafting Smith the 1st over all pick still seem so crazy? With the ultimate goal being the SB, and the reason for all draft picks- to achieve greatness. What is the acceptable time frame for a 1st round pick to reach the SB? Is Alex on schedule despite his early troubles?

P. Manning was drafted in 98 but didn't win his only SB until 2007
D. Brees 2001- SB 2009
E. Mannning 2004- SB 2008
Romo undrafted 2003- sat 3 years and replaced Bledso, no SB
P. Rivers 2004- No SB
M. Vick 2001- No SB
Just a few months ago threads like this get immediately locked. Alex Smith & championship in the same sentence....amazing!

Love the optimism!

Yes, I think in hindsight it's worth if Alex gets us the 6th.
drafting Smith #1 overall was, itself, not crazy. It was failing to properly develop him.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
If Alex reaches the super bowl I will personally go buy an Alex Smith jersey take a pic of me wearing it and post it on the zone.
He shouldn't even really be on the list, but next to Romo, you need to add "has not won a playoff game, ever."
Originally posted by susweel:
If Alex reaches the super bowl I will personally go buy an Alex Smith jersey take a pic of me wearing it and post it on the zone.

You don't have to do have to do all that brah, just go away for a week like you did when we beat the Eagles.
I love my Alex Smith jersey
the real thing with this though isn't the "time frame" its what happened in that time. Manning didn't win a Super Bowl for almost a decade but his teams were almost always in the playoffs, and he was breaking records, and generally being a complete badass. Many of those other QB's listed also had individual and team success before their championships, or are still considered great players with a championship chance.

I don't think anyone necessarily expects a #1 QB to get them to a Super Bowl in, say, two or three years, but they do expect them to help the team be in contention for a championship.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by brizznasty:

You don't have to do have to do all that brah, just go away for a week like you did when we beat the Eagles.

you hate me

Originally posted by brizznasty:

you hate me

now you know how you make Alex feel.

Even reaching the Championship, if you look back at all the 1st rounders over the last 10 years, is a major accomplishment, With this team and core players along with Harbaugh, playoffs should become as familiar as i once remember them.

We're going to hold you to that!
Originally posted by SealTeam6: Is Alex on schedule despite his early troubles?

Yes.

*When were you with Team 6?
  • BROWN
  • Veteran
The beauty of it is that my brother is a huge packers fan, and he was gloating about how Rodgers won one... now this will be epic! if it happens...
Share 49ersWebzone