LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 288 users in the forums

49ers and the National Media (Perceptions, predictions, articles, etc.)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • ttime
Originally posted by walker807:
LOL at Stephen A Smith trying to talk football. The guy knows less than the average fan about football. I have always disliked him in his "matter of fact" tone and the fact that he pulls the race card as often as Jesse Jackson.

You mentioning this could easily be interpreted as you bringing up the race card. In fact, that bringing up the race card accusation is as old and dry as dirt. But, I don't think that anyone of them is convinced about Alex. Given that seven games don't make an entire season, I can understand their position. QB's who rank at the bottom of passing yards and third down conversions typically are not considered premiere, especially given Alex's less than stellar past. Anyone who anoints Alex as one of the premiere QB's in the league right now or even the future of this club being a bit premature.

Those who compare him to the likes of Montana are way off. The game was much different then and this has become much more of a passing league and while Montana's lack of passing yards maybe attributed to his passes representing extended hand-offs to running backs, the same can not be said about Alex. His short passes are to WRs and TEs. Smith's position has some validity as when teams start laying on the short routes, Alex has not demonstrated the ability to consistently make them pay for it with longer passes.

Grant it, doubters are not giving much credence to his incremental improvements and his impressive td/int. ratio. It should be 11/2 as oppose to 9/2 as they took two away from Crabtree. Plus, they are underestimating his toughness and determination to improve. We could be witnessing Alex creating his very own positive legacy and with continued success and improvement, he will become more convincing and a pleasure to appreciate.
tell ludakris to shut the f**k up
Originally posted by ttime:
You mentioning this could easily be interpreted as you bringing up the race card. In fact, that bringing up the race card accusation is as old and dry as dirt. But, I don't think that anyone of them is convinced about Alex. Given that seven games don't make an entire season, I can understand their position. QB's who rank at the bottom of passing yards and third down conversions typically are not considered premiere, especially given Alex's less than stellar past. Anyone who anoints Alex as one of the premiere QB's in the league right now or even the future of this club being a bit premature.

Those who compare him to the likes of Montana are way off. The game was much different then and this has become much more of a passing league and while Montana's lack of passing yards maybe attributed to his passes representing extended hand-offs to running backs, the same can not be said about Alex. His short passes are to WRs and TEs. Smith's position has some validity as when teams start laying on the short routes, Alex has not demonstrated the ability to consistently make them pay for it with longer passes.

Grant it, doubters are not giving much credence to his incremental improvements and his impressive td/int. ratio. It should be 11/2 as oppose to 9/2 as they took two away from Crabtree. Plus, they are underestimating his toughness and determination to improve. We could be witnessing Alex creating his very own positive legacy and with continued success and improvement, he will become more convincing and a pleasure to appreciate.

Did...not...read...
Stephen A is one of the dumbest guys on TV. His thoughts on any sport are usually way off anyway. Plus I doubt he took five seconds away from Kobes nut sack to even look at Alex's season.
I don't take issue with what Stephen A said... It's his opinion and hopefully Alex makes him look like an idiot.
Originally posted by mickey49:
Originally posted by MaliCali:
Analysts like Smith are the reason I stopped watching NFLN. Too obnoxious, too loud, too annoying, rarely speaks from an objective viewpoint even if he claims to do so. I legitimately hate whenever he is on First Take.

Agreed. I have a hard time watching NFLN "analysts". Sapp, Irvin, Deion...all annoying...

i have officially boycotted NFLN, i just can't stand watching it anymore.
  • ttime
Originally posted by drake49er:
Did...not...read...

..Reading IS fundamental.
Stephen A. Smith should stick to basketball. I remember him on chronicle Live saying the eagles were fools for trading Donovan McNabb and as we all know it was the right choice.
Originally posted by susweel:
I dont like the fact that Skip Bayless likes us.

This.
Originally posted by ttime:
Originally posted by walker807:
LOL at Stephen A Smith trying to talk football. The guy knows less than the average fan about football. I have always disliked him in his "matter of fact" tone and the fact that he pulls the race card as often as Jesse Jackson.

Stephen A. did the ol' bait and switch with the topic. I do believe the topic of discussion was whether or not they believed the niners were the 2nd best team in the NFL not whether or not Alex Smith is a good QB.

I hate Stephen A. but I also dislike Skip. Usually I take both their opinions and walk the other way... damnit now Im confused...

• SS2K8
  • Veteran
Good, the last time Stephen A. "with a smile on my face" Smith trashed one of my teams on that show they went on to win 3 conference championships in a row and 2 nba titles.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
JUST HIS OPINION. DOESN'T CHANGE WHAT I FEEL.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
RealSkipBayless Skip Bayless

I believe in this year's 49ers b/c I believe in Jim Harbaugh, who is turning them into the Steelers/Ravens of the NFC. EXTREMELY PHYSICAL
Originally posted by Jcool:
RealSkipBayless Skip Bayless

I believe in this year's 49ers b/c I believe in Jim Harbaugh, who is turning them into the Steelers/Ravens of the NFC. EXTREMELY PHYSICAL

What separates the 49ers this year from those teams is the fact that our offense is probably more physical than the defense, they make defenses quit, and that is unheard of.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
i have officially boycotted NFLN, i just can't stand watching it anymore.

Yah, unless they're replaying a Niner game, I'm just not into that channel like I used to be.
Share 49ersWebzone