LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 361 users in the forums

Who would you rather have, Willis or Megatron ??

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who would you rather have, Willis or Megatron ??

WR>MLB
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Bowman > Calvin Johnson

My point is that people are acting like "megatron" is miles ahead of any other receiver. Aside from the ridiculous amount of touchdowns this year, his numbers say, "An elite receiver but not the only one."

Touchdowns are a pretty important part of the game.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Bowman > Calvin Johnson

My point is that people are acting like "megatron" is miles ahead of any other receiver. Aside from the ridiculous amount of touchdowns this year, his numbers say, "An elite receiver but not the only one."

Touchdowns are a pretty important part of the game.

yes, they are.

Calvin's on pace for 1,400 yards 28 touchdowns.

Wes Welker is on pace for 144 catches for 2,368 yards with 16 touchdowns.

Is Calvin Johnson, therefore, that far ahead of other wide receivers?
yes, they are.

The point is if he finishes with 28 touchdowns like he's on pace to do it's going to be

1. Calvin Johnson

2. Insert whatever receiver you want.

Hell he might even get MVP consideration if Detroit wins the division as well.
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,200 for dhp318.
Originally posted by verb1der:
Tom Brady won multiple championships with no big time WRs while Ted Bruschi was on D. And yet Pats couldn't win another without Ted Bruschi, even with Randy Moss on offense.

things that make you go...hmmmm....defense does win championships!

You're right, those were the only 2 differences - Randy Moss and Bruschi.
The point is if he finishes with 28 touchdowns like he's on pace to do it's going to be

1. Calvin Johnson

2. Insert whatever receiver you want.

Hell he might even get MVP consideration if Detroit wins the division as well.

Wes Welker is on pace for 144 catches for 2,368 yards with 16 touchdowns.

Is Calvin Johnson, therefore, that far ahead of other wide receivers?
Jimmy Graham has more yards, nearly identical average per reception, and more plays of 20 or more yards than Calvin Johnson

Jimmy Graham.

Not saying Calvin isn't elite, he obviously is, but he is not as singular as he is being made out to be this season.

Navorro Bowman has more tackles than Patrick Willis.

Navorro Bowman.

Bowman > Calvin Johnson

I think you are missing the point that the WR position is MUCH more valuable than the MLB position, thus making Calvin Johnson more valuable than Patrick Willis. How many MLB's have you ever seen taken with a #2 overall pick? Top 5 pic? Compare Patrick Willis' contract he got last year to the one Larry Fitzgerald got this year, a MLB would never get the kind of money a top WR would get, because that position isn't valued as much.

Even if there is a better WR than Calvin Johnson in the league right now, which is very debatable, Calvin Johnson is indeed a top 5 WR and thus more valuable than Willis who is just the top MLB in the league.
[ Edited by RedWaltz24 on Oct 13, 2011 at 2:29 PM ]
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Defense wins championships
Colts had a pretty mediocre defense and won one anyway, while the jets have had a pretty damn good defense and always get limited by sanchez's mediocrity.

Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
WR>MLB

^this. I'm sure no other MLB's can be mentioned in the same sentence as Willis minus one or two guys but the downgrade from Willis to someone like Bowman(or other guys a tier or two lower than willis) is that you have a few less tackles and probably a slightly s**ttier defense against the run. Maybe their WR's gain a little more from short routes. BIG DEAL. The difference between having a megatron and a guy like crabtree is a way bigger difference even if you end up with his 2010 TD totals. This is a passing league, but nooo a QB should be able to pass to a short butterfinger guy in double coverage or else he's not elite.
Originally posted by dhp318:
You're right, those were the only 2 differences - Randy Moss and Bruschi.

That and while Teddy Brushci was the leader of the defense he was hardly the best player. New England's front 3 dominated. That's the reason why their defense was so great back in the early 00's.

In terms of talent Patrick Willis >>>>>>>>>>> Teddy Brushci. I'm not taking anything away from Brushci but you're talking about a 1 time Pro Bowler. He's a pretty bad example of saying that an elite linebacker propels defenses to Super Bowls.

Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
I think you are missing the point that the WR position is MUCH more valuable than the MLB position, thus making Calvin Johnson more valuable than Patrick Willis. How many MLB's have you ever seen taken with a #2 overall pick? Top 5 pic? Compare Patrick Willis' contract he got last year to the one Larry Fitzgerald got this year, a MLB would never get the kind of money a top WR would get, because that position isn't valued as much.

Even if there is a better WR than Calvin Johnson in the league right now, which is very debatable, Calvin Johnson is indeed a top 5 WR and thus more valuable than Willis who is just the top MLB in the league.

WR is not a more valuable position than MLB. They make more money and get drafted higher because they make highlight plays and put butts in seats.

I'll take the best player. Patrick Willis is the best player at his position, potentially an all-time great, in his prime.

If Wes Welker ends up putting that stat line that's a stat line no receiver has ever done before. He might get MVP consideration too. If Aaron Rodgers and Peyton Manning have spectular years that doesn't mean the quarterback position is less important.

Wes Welker is a unique figure in the NFL. I think you'd have a hard time arguing that any receiver can duplicate what he does for New England. He's probally more important to that offense than Randy Moss ever was.
  • mike
  • Veteran
WR is not a more valuable position than MLB. They make more money and get drafted higher because they make highlight plays and put butts in seats.

I'll take the best player. Patrick Willis is the best player at his position, potentially an all-time great, in his prime.

Just wondering, do MLB's score? Doesn't it take touchdowns to win games? Or can you end a game tied 0-0? Oh wait, WR's are more important than MLB's because quarterbacks need someone who can catch passes in tough coverages for touchdowns. Middle linebackers, unless they blitz(which we rarely do), are essentially just for preventing rbs and short-route pass-catchers from getting extra yardage. Point being, we'd still have a decent defense without him and we'd have an amazing offense.
If Wes Welker ends up putting that stat line that's a stat line no receiver has ever done before. He might get MVP consideration too. If Aaron Rodgers and Peyton Manning have spectular years that doesn't mean the quarterback position is less important.

Wes Welker is a unique figure in the NFL. I think you'd have a hard time arguing that any receiver can duplicate what he does for New England. He's probally more important to that offense than Randy Moss ever was.

i definitely think Welker is--and was--more important to that NE offense than Moss.

and I didn't post those projected stats to say that the WR isn't important, I was just trying to say that, while I think Calvin is the most freakish and dangerous and probably the best WR in the game today, he's not the only great WR, and legit arguments could be made in favor of any of them. So I don't think CJ is as far ahead of the pack as some on here suggest.
Originally posted by mike:

Just wondering, do MLB's score? Doesn't it take touchdowns to win games? Or can you end a game tied 0-0? Oh wait, WR's are more important than MLB's because quarterbacks need someone who can catch passes in tough coverages for touchdowns. Middle linebackers, unless they blitz(which we rarely do), are essentially just for preventing rbs and short-route pass-catchers from getting extra yardage. Point being, we'd still have a decent defense without him and we'd have an amazing offense.

lol. i forgot that stopping the other team from scoring wasn't important to winning.
Share 49ersWebzone