There are 172 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Define: "Type of QB who puts an offense on his back"

Alex "The Main Man" Smith is a []D [] []V[] []D and the lions D is going to be his b***hes this Sunday!!
  • 8to80
Originally posted by gamechanger:
Show me the post where I said we never went 0-4. Aldon Smith deserves more credit? Um you lost me there. It's funny how you rarely respond to anything I've said. Alex has more to do with our 4-1 record than anyone on our team so far. We should be 5-0 cuz we had the lead vs the Cowboys, or do you not know that? We won the Philly game largely due to his play in the 2nd half. We killed the Bucs because he was able to throw early and often making big plays through the air, which set up the run for the rest of the game. The defense can make all the stops they want but if Alex doesn't carry his side of the team, it's pointless.
My bad, it was Jiks who said that; all you fans with man-crushes on Alex Smith sound the same.

Yes, Aldon Smith deserves more credit, and the fans have spoken. He was just named the Pepsi Rookie of the week. It doesn't surprise me that you were lost regarding that.

We should be 5-0 cuz we had the lead vs the Cowboys? WTF does that even mean? We should be 3-2 cuz the Bengals and Eagles had the lead?

Alex Smith played extremely well during the Eagles game. But so did our defense with 3 turnovers, and limited their red-zone efficiency to 2 of 7. The Eagles also helped us by missing 2 FGs, and Brown throwing the ball to us. Our defense kept us in the game, and our whole offense finished it.

We killed the Bucs mainly because of our defense. When a QB goes 11 of 19 for 170 yards and 3 TDs, it's obvious that the run game and defense are playing really well. Yes, Smith's passing opened up the run-game for us: INSTEAD OF CROWDING THE BOX WITH 8 DEFENDERS, THE BUCS HAD TO MOVE SOME GUYS IN COVERAGE. Also, if Smith didn't throw any TDs, we still win. LOL.

Your definition of "carrying the team" appears to be different from everyone elses. A QB carrying the team would be someone like Tom Brady who is just having shoot-outs with other teams (offense ranked 1st in passing yards & 2nd in points, defense is ranked last in yards & 16th in points). Our defense ranks 1st in forced fumbles & turnovers, 3rd in points allowed & interceptions, 5th in rushing yards allowed. Our offense is rank 29th in passing yards, 27th in total yards, and 6th in points. Could it be that our defense is playing lights-out, and is giving our offense the ball often with great field position? No way! It's Alex Smith "carrying the team".
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

/thread
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Somebody said it earlier but I wanted to reiterate.

"Puts team on his back" has to do with stats. It means the defense can't stop the other team and the QB puts up gaudy numbers and wins the game.

Smith hasn't had to "put his team on his back" because we're a good TEAM, all 3 phases.

I hate this phrase along with "game manager". They're terms just used to categorize the stats a qb has. 11-19 170 yds 3 tds=game manager. 23-35 350yds 3tds=put team on his back.
Montana, Young, Brodie, Y.A. Tittle, Plunkett, Stabler, Marino, Tarkenton, Elway, Staubach, Brady, Brees, Payton Manning. These are all QB's who might have thrown 2-6 picks, thrown for less than 50%, watched there RB fumble the defense get scorched but in the 4th quarter these were the guys you want to have in the final 2 minutes because they played/play at a whole diffrent level. Watch Montana against Philly in Philly he had 2-3 picks,sacked 5 times nothing going right came back and won. Young against Detroit, Elway against the Browns in the AFC playoffs, Staubach more times than you can imagine, Brodie against the Rams and fearsome foursome, Stabler against the Dolphins in the playoffs.

To much is made of statistics (because of fantasy football) these guys all had the "it" factor and just knew how to win even when the entire team including themselves were having a horrible game. Brodie, Stabler, and Plunkett should be in the HOF not because of there stats but because they won. However it will never happen because everyone has gotten so stat happy that we will put a guy in like Warren Moon who had great stats but sucked in the playoffs.

Look at the Colts great example of how a future HOF player takes the entire team up a few notches.
Originally posted by Bejaard49er:
Montana, Young, Brodie, Y.A. Tittle, Plunkett, Stabler, Marino, Tarkenton, Elway, Staubach, Brady, Brees, Payton Manning. These are all QB's who might have thrown 2-6 picks, thrown for less than 50%, watched there RB fumble the defense get scorched but in the 4th quarter these were the guys you want to have in the final 2 minutes because they played/play at a whole diffrent level. Watch Montana against Philly in Philly he had 2-3 picks,sacked 5 times nothing going right came back and won. Young against Detroit, Elway against the Browns in the AFC playoffs, Staubach more times than you can imagine, Brodie against the Rams and fearsome foursome, Stabler against the Dolphins in the playoffs.

To much is made of statistics (because of fantasy football) these guys all had the "it" factor and just knew how to win even when the entire team including themselves were having a horrible game. Brodie, Stabler, and Plunkett should be in the HOF not because of there stats but because they won. However it will never happen because everyone has gotten so stat happy that we will put a guy in like Warren Moon who had great stats but sucked in the playoffs.

Look at the Colts great example of how a future HOF player takes the entire team up a few notches.

You might want to reconsider Brodie. His career stats in the playoffs--4 TDs and 7 Ints. Dallas owned him 0--3. Plunkett, on the other hand was 8-2 in the playoffs.
Originally posted by nflguy49:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Thanks for making my point. We seem to agree on most everything else. In case you haven't noticed man, Smith has thrown 15 td and only 2 int's over the last 11 games he has played in, that is more than a fluke, that is a trend. He has improved his game all around with better mechanics and a more consistent release point. Harbaugh is shaping him into what we drafted him to be, the talent has always been there, but our terrible coaching never knew how to tap it. As for the TB game, the running game was so good because Smith lit them up and they had to back off. It was a great team win though, and those are the best kind.

At no point in the Bucs game was our passing attack so dominate that the Bucs backed off. If anything, it was the running game that wore them down and caused them to quit as some Niners players alleged.

He completed all of 11 passes in the entire game while the Niners running backs gained over 200 yards on the ground yet were supposed to believe it was the passing game that made it easy for the rushing attack and not the other way around. Come on bro. That's ridiculous.

I will all ask one last time (although I'm sure it will be ignored becuase of the point it makes). If Alex had only completed six passes against the Bucs would you still say the passing attack caused the Bucs too quit and allowed our running game to succeed? You know the answer but won't admit it. It's crazy to claim a qb that complete only 11 passes played a bigger factor in a win then running backs that accounted for over 200 rushing yards (more yards then we had passing btw).
When three of those passes were for touchdowns and a fourth that should have been a touchdown that lead to a one yard rushing touchdown, then I would say the passing game kinda opened up the game for us. The running mostly came after we built the big lead, old school Niner style. Just hit Whomeam's thread with the offensive highlights and watch how the game developed. I am not saying that the passing game alone won the game, it was a total team effort, but we passed a lot more in the early stages of the game, then pounded them into submission once we built the big lead. Once again, if you think I am saying any part of this team effort was not important, then you have misunderstood me.
Rodgers and Brady plus manning thoughs are the main examPles cuz without those players on those team they don't win (see the clots)
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
So, Smith is one of the best in the red zone, one of the best against the blitz, rated number 3 currently but that's not good enough for the habitual Smith critics. OK, keep spewing your venom and if you are lucky Smith will start playing poorly, the season will go down the toilet and you will be so very happy!

This is real talk, fools will only be happy if they can talk crap about playing poorly.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

You might want to reconsider Brodie. His career stats in the playoffs--4 TDs and 7 Ints. Dallas owned him 0--3. Plunkett, on the other hand was 8-2 in the playoffs.

I am probably being a litle bit of a Homer with Brodie, however he was NFL MVP in 70 or 71 can't remember, took us to the NFC Championshp twice only to lose 1 game in the final 2 minutes due a fumble. The team played at a very high level when he was QB once he retired and Spurrier took over the team fell off a cliff and did not win until Walsh took over. What is happening to the Colts this year is what occured to the Niners when Brodie left. IMO that shows how Brodie on many occassions carried the team.
[ Edited by Bejaard49er on Oct 15, 2011 at 7:25 AM ]
I am probably being a litle bit of a Homer with Brodie, however he was NFL MVP in 70 or 71 can't remember, took us to the NFC Championshp twice only to lose 1 game in the final 2 minutes due a fumble. The team played at a very high level when he was QB once he retired and Spurrier took over the team fell off a cliff and did not win until Walsh took over.

Brodie was one of my favorites as he was a 9er and a Stanford guy, but the team never got over the hump with him at the helm and late Ints always killed late drives. But I don't mind your being a homer as I am guilty of that often! Fran Tarkenton was another favorite who never reached the mountain top. The rest of your list was right on and Brodie/Tarkenton were acknowledged to be among the best of their era.
Originally posted by 8to80:
Show me the post where I said we never went 0-4. Aldon Smith deserves more credit? Um you lost me there. It's funny how you rarely respond to anything I've said. Alex has more to do with our 4-1 record than anyone on our team so far. We should be 5-0 cuz we had the lead vs the Cowboys, or do you not know that? We won the Philly game largely due to his play in the 2nd half. We killed the Bucs because he was able to throw early and often making big plays through the air, which set up the run for the rest of the game. The defense can make all the stops they want but if Alex doesn't carry his side of the team, it's pointless.
My bad, it was Jiks who said that; all you fans with man-crushes on Alex Smith sound the same.

Yes, Aldon Smith deserves more credit, and the fans have spoken. He was just named the Pepsi Rookie of the week. It doesn't surprise me that you were lost regarding that.

We should be 5-0 cuz we had the lead vs the Cowboys? WTF does that even mean? We should be 3-2 cuz the Bengals and Eagles had the lead?

Alex Smith played extremely well during the Eagles game. But so did our defense with 3 turnovers, and limited their red-zone efficiency to 2 of 7. The Eagles also helped us by missing 2 FGs, and Brown throwing the ball to us. Our defense kept us in the game, and our whole offense finished it.

We killed the Bucs mainly because of our defense. When a QB goes 11 of 19 for 170 yards and 3 TDs, it's obvious that the run game and defense are playing really well. Yes, Smith's passing opened up the run-game for us: INSTEAD OF CROWDING THE BOX WITH 8 DEFENDERS, THE BUCS HAD TO MOVE SOME GUYS IN COVERAGE. Also, if Smith didn't throw any TDs, we still win. LOL.

Your definition of "carrying the team" appears to be different from everyone elses. A QB carrying the team would be someone like Tom Brady who is just having shoot-outs with other teams (offense ranked 1st in passing yards & 2nd in points, defense is ranked last in yards & 16th in points). Our defense ranks 1st in forced fumbles & turnovers, 3rd in points allowed & interceptions, 5th in rushing yards allowed. Our offense is rank 29th in passing yards, 27th in total yards, and 6th in points. Could it be that our defense is playing lights-out, and is giving our offense the ball often with great field position? No way! It's Alex Smith "carrying the team".

Yeah that's what I thought, you were wrong! Then you have to say something way off base to justify why you said it. Classy!

And Alex was named a top 5 QB by Kurt Warner. What's your point?

This means the defenses failed to do their jobs and carry their said of the workload. How hard is that to understand? If they did their job the teams that had the lead would have won. Right?

Yeah but they didn't play so well against Dallas, cuz they gave up a 10 point lead.

LOL at the Bucs game, It was a team effort, but to say Alex didn't have any effect on how the defense played us after we went up 30 - 3 is just plain hate. He drove us down the field coming out of the half, and we had nothing else to do but pound the ball the rest of the game. Again with the score being 30 - 3 did you expect us to keep throwing the ball?
[ Edited by gamechanger on Oct 15, 2011 at 11:05 AM ]
Yeah that's what I thought, you were wrong! Then you have to say something way off base to justify why you said it. Classy!

This means the defenses failed to do their jobs and carry their said of the workload. How hard is that to understand? If they did their job the teams that had the lead would have won. Right?

Yeah but they didn't play so well against Dallas, cuz they gave up a 10 point lead.

LOL at the Bucs game, It was a team effort, but to say Alex didn't have any effect on how the defense played us after we went up 30 - 3 is just plain hate. He drove us down the field coming out of the half, and we had nothing else to do but pound the ball the rest of the game. Again with the score being 30 - 3 did you expect us to keep throwing the ball?

Well said!
  • 8to80

Only read the bold parts because I don't see any stats in your post.

Tens of thousands of people's opinion has more merit than Kurt Warner's. Let's be logical.

Once again, you twist my words and fail to back up your opinion with stats or facts. Just because most of us don't think he's among the top-5 QBs in the NFL, doesn't mean we hate him. It just means we don't think he's among the top-5 QBs in the NFL. Hey, I'm in love with Megan Fox. So, I think she's one of the top-5 actresses; but, that doesn't necessarily make it so. To say Alex Smith is a top-5 QB and Megan Fox is a top-5 actress is ludicrous, outrageous, foolish, and outlandish.

Edited: Sorry, didn't know we had children viewing these threads.
[ Edited by 8to80 on Oct 15, 2011 at 3:21 PM ]
Rude, inaccurate and vulgar posts seem unnecessary.