LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 241 users in the forums

Define: "Type of QB who puts an offense on his back"

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by nflguy49:

3rd and goal at the Lions 6 yard line: Alex zeroes in on Walker right at the snap and ignores Crabtree who was open in the endzone. Smith throws a three yard pass to Walker (he caught the ball on the 3 yard line) who was very close to being stopped short of the goal line but was able to power his way trhough a few lions defenders just enough to cross the goal line before his knee was down (it was close enough to warrant a long review- yes all tds are reviewed but some take longer then others. It was very close).

of course. even when he reads the defense correctly, on a play designed to have Crabtree pick the defender off of Walker, he is making a mistake.

also, that was 4th and goal.
[ Edited by HessianDud on Oct 16, 2011 at 6:36 PM ]
  • 8to80
Before anyone says "Oh, yeah, what about the winning td pass"..

Let's examine the game winning touchdown drive.

It started on the Lions 35 yard line (Thanks to a 40 yard punt return by Ginn).

1st down: Hunter rushes for 9 yards

2nd and 1: Gore rushes for one yard

1st and 10: Hunter rushes for 9 yards to the Lions 16 yard line

2nd and 1: Gore rushes for 9 yards down to the Lions 7 yard line.

1st and goal at the 7 yard line: Gore is tackled for a 3 yard loss.

2nd and goal at the Lions 10: Alex throws a short pass to Crabs for a four yard gain.

3rd and goal at the Lions 6 yard line: Alex zeroes in on Walker right at the snap and ignores Crabtree who was open in the endzone. Smith throws a three yard pass to Walker (he caught the ball on the 3 yard line) who was very close to being stopped short of the goal line but was able to power his way trhough a few lions defenders just enough to cross the goal line before his knee was down (it was close enough to warrant a long review- yes all tds are reviewed but some take longer then others. It was very close).

The td ruling was upheld and as we all know the Niners held on for the win.

I can't believe the defense didn't get tired and give up some late scores. Defense and Gore deserve game balls AGAIN!
Agreed!

But, I have to disagree with you on one thing: Although Crabtree was open, I think Alex throwing it to Walker had a higher TD-success rate than Alex making an accurate throw to the corner of the endzone & Crabtree catching it in-bounds. I think Alex knew this, and threw it to Walker. He may not be the most athletic or accurate QB, but I think he has become one of the smartest. If he threw it too high to Walker, Walker can still score; if he threw it too high to Crabtree, he's out-of-bounds. LOL.

EDIT: you know i'm just kidding. It was probably a misread given that it was 4th and 6 with all that pressure and the game on the line.
[ Edited by 8to80 on Oct 16, 2011 at 6:42 PM ]
That was a 4=6 play. I think it was designed for Crabtree to clear out and go to walker underneath. He should score given that kind of space. Smart throw. On target, in stride. TD. Plus I think if you are smith you trust Walker more than Crabtree. Either way. Great result. Awersome game. Good on Alex making up for the INT. Smith made some nice plays in the game too. Could have had a TD to Crabby, SHOULD have had a TD to walker earlier. And for the life of me I couldn't believe mr. wheels Ted Ginn didn't get under that ball in the end zone.
Originally posted by VA49er:
That was a 4=6 play. I think it was designed for Crabtree to clear out and go to walker underneath. He should score given that kind of space. Smart throw. On target, in stride. TD. Plus I think if you are smith you trust Walker more than Crabtree. Either way. Great result. Awersome game. Good on Alex making up for the INT. Smith made some nice plays in the game too. Could have had a TD to Crabby, SHOULD have had a TD to walker earlier. And for the life of me I couldn't believe mr. wheels Ted Ginn didn't get under that ball in the end zone.

I think he slipped, but he is not an aggressive receiver at all. What I like about Crabs it that he does what he can to go after a ball if it gets near him. Ginn seems to wait for it to fall to him, like a punt (he should have played here when Hill was starting, he would have beasted!)

but that was a good throw by Smith, a long throw. Have a feeling that, say, Edwards or Crabtree, or, f**k, even Morgan, would have made that a TD.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
because won games when Gore was averaging 2 yards a carry. Why was that?

I'm not saying Alex is the #1 reason we've won games. But he's a big part, for lots of reasons.

dude, just accept that your hate for the guy is blinding you to reality. It's obvious to everyone but you.

Alex threw for 125 yards today (nearly 80 were in the first half) and finished with a qb rating of 60. He clearly sucked cock today but again the defense was strong and so was the running game (203 yards rushing). The Niners won today despite Alex.

Well I wouldn't say that, but he did score when it mattered.

*without Edwards and Morgan

Man I can't wait to get Edwards back. Even though he wasn't putting up big numbers in the beginning of the season, he made his presence known.
Man I can't wait to get Edwards back. Even though he wasn't putting up big numbers in the beginning of the season, he made his presence known.

and our o-line is playing so much better, and we're throwing the ball more, and fairly well...I think Edwards is coming back at a perfect time. We should actually be able to utilize him consistently.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
because won games when Gore was averaging 2 yards a carry. Why was that?

I'm not saying Alex is the #1 reason we've won games. But he's a big part, for lots of reasons.

dude, just accept that your hate for the guy is blinding you to reality. It's obvious to everyone but you.

Alex threw for 125 yards today (nearly 80 were in the first half) and finished with a qb rating of 60. He clearly sucked cock today but again the defense was strong and so was the running game (203 yards rushing). The Niners won today despite Alex.

Well I wouldn't say that, but he did score when it mattered.

*without Edwards and Morgan

i bashed the guy his whole career because of his hands, but i still want him back.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Maybe a b- maybe. Definitely missing morgan and he did float some passes. Walker and Crabtree not making those td passes make it look worse than it was. Still, bad games happen and as a team they have to overcome...and they did.

It's bs to blame Crabtree after he made some spectacular catches to haul in some of Alex poorly thrown balls (lots of them were high). Alex had 45 or so yards passing in the 2nd half. I guess he softened up the Lions defense for Gore right? lol
I guess he didn't throw a perfect pass on 4th and goal on the road against an undefeated team with under two minutes to play for the go ahead touchdown.

He did not have a good game today, but nothing he did invalidates what I said earlier.

He was somewhere between mediocre and crap today while the defense and running game were dominant.
I guess he didn't throw a perfect pass on 4th and goal on the road against an undefeated team with under two minutes to play for the go ahead touchdown.

He did not have a good game today, but nothing he did invalidates what I said earlier.

He was somewhere between mediocre and crap today while the defense and running game were dominant.

This

it must really tear you up that he gets the W. Oh, if only there were a way to have the stats listed as: 49ers 5-1 and Alex Smith 0-6!
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

and our o-line is playing so much better, and we're throwing the ball more, and fairly well...I think Edwards is coming back at a perfect time. We should actually be able to utilize him consistently.

Yes they are, although Staley piss me off today we he gave up that big play vs. Vanden Bosch. ......I'm over it now.
it must really tear you up that he gets the W. Oh, if only there were a way to have the stats listed as: 49ers 5-1 and Alex Smith 0-6!

Don't give them any ideas! New thread will track this each week...SHR (Smith hater rating).
It's bs to blame Crabtree after he made some spectacular catches to haul in some of Alex poorly thrown balls (lots of them were high). Alex had 45 or so yards passing in the 2nd half. I guess he softened up the Lions defense for Gore right? lol

dam didnt know jim schwartz was on the zone

Nope. I doubt many people watched this game and walked away thinking "With a qb like that, look out packers!"
Share 49ersWebzone