LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 165 users in the forums

Define: "Type of QB who puts an offense on his back"

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by gamechanger:
You don't get what he's trying to say. He's saying without the early passing we did, the run game wouldn't have been as effective. I believe Smith had close to 100 yards passing in the 1st qtr alone, we didn't need to pass after he took us down the field for a TD during the opening drive in the 2nd half to put us up 30 - 3. With well over a qtr and a half left to play and the score the way it was, there was no reason to even throw the ball. If they did it was to get more practice in on stuff they needed to improve on. The run game dominated only because we set it up to. Comprende?

Smith had closer to 60 yards passing in the 1st qtr. You think an opening drive td is why the Niners running game DOMINATED?

"We didn't need to pass"

"No reason to throw the ball"

Yet Alex was the player you feel was most responsible for the win. Got it.

lol
[ Edited by nflguy49 on Oct 14, 2011 at 9:38 AM ]
I want to see Alex play for an entire game like he did in the 3rd qtr against Philly (Niners running game took over the 4th qtr against Philly and secured the win btw).
Originally posted by nflguy49:
I want to see Alex play for an entire game like he did in the 3rd qtr against Philly (Niners running game took over the 4th qtr against Philly and secured the win btw).

so his performance doesn't count if he gets taken out in the 4th quarter because we've already secured the win?
Originally posted by HessianDud:

so his performance doesn't count if he gets taken out in the 4th quarter because we've already secured the win?

Duh, obviously. SMH. It also doesn't matter that he has low yards when he's thrown for 100 yards in the first qtr and the team is up 21-3 so they switch to a running attack to control the ball.
Originally posted by Jakemall:

Duh, obviously. SMH. It also doesn't matter that he has low yards when he's thrown for 100 yards in the first qtr and the team is up 21-3 so they switch to a running attack to control the ball.

not that Alex "put the team on his back" or is suddenly elite or something, but its just sad to see that some still won't give him his due. Who knows what the rest of the season holds, but people wanted to see Smith play like he did in the 3rd quarter in Philly, and then he does, but he doesn't throw for 300 yards so it doesn't count.
Originally posted by susweel:
Brady, Rodgers, Manning, Brees

So by that definition, you mean quarterbacks that have great protection, lots of offensive weapons, a strong defense, offensive chemistry, and great coaching.
not that Alex "put the team on his back" or is suddenly elite or something, but its just sad to see that some still won't give him his due. Who knows what the rest of the season holds, but people wanted to see Smith play like he did in the 3rd quarter in Philly, and then he does, but he doesn't throw for 300 yards so it doesn't count.

Nobody said he had to throw for 300 yards every week but Alex has had several sub 200 yard games. In one game this year he had 124 yards passing. Those are pathetic numbers.

If Smith had completed 6 passes against the Bucs would you say he had a bigger impact on the victory then other players? If not, why not?

I give him his do and have posted several times that he's playing better. He's just not playing as well as some would like to believe.
[ Edited by nflguy49 on Oct 14, 2011 at 11:10 AM ]

Nobody said he had to throw for 300 yards every week but Alex has had several sub 200 yard games. In one game this year he had 124 yards passing. Those are pathetic numbers.

If Smith had completed 6 passes against the Bucs would you say he had a bigger impact on the victory then other players? If not, why not?

I give him his do and have posted several times that he's playing better. He's just not playing as well as some would like to believe.

did you watch the games? he's completing two out of every 3 passes with an average yards per attempt of 7.7. When you only throw the ball 20 times a game you're not going to get a ton of yards, but that kind of production is going to help win games.
Alex still has a lot to prove. I hope he takes another step forward against the Lions.
did you watch the games? he's completing two out of every 3 passes with an average yards per attempt of 7.7. When you only throw the ball 20 times a game you're not going to get a ton of yards, but that kind of production is going to help win games.

I have not missed a single game in over 15 years. Alex has completed at least 20 passes only twice this season (20 vs Bengals and 21 vs Eagles).

Seahawks: 15 passes completed

Cowboys: 16 passes completed

Alex is not being asked to do much. A very conservative game plan that relies on strong defense and a strong running game while the qb simply needs not to make game killing mistakes.

It was Gore and Hunter that the Eagles couldn't stop in the 4th qtr and against the Bucs the Niners gained more yards on the ground then by passing. This team needs Alex to keep getting better.

I have not missed a single game in over 15 years. Alex has completed at least 20 passes only twice this season (20 vs Bengals and 21 vs Eagles).

Seahawks: 15 passes completed

Cowboys: 16 passes completed

Alex is not being asked to do much. A very conservative game plan that relies on strong defense and a strong running game while the qb simply needs not to make game killing mistakes.

It was Gore and Hunter that the Eagles couldn't stop in the 4th qtr and against the Bucs the Niners gained more yards on the ground then by passing. This team needs Alex to keep getting better.

he's averaging about 24 passes a game. Expecting him to complete 20 out of 24 every week is kind of absurd, no?

yes, he is not asked to do to much..except audible at the LOS, beat the blitz, not turn it over, throw accurate passes, etc. I agree we need him to keep getting better, but there's no reason to qualify what he's doing so far. He's running the offense, he's helping us win games, he's playing well. I hope he keeps it up, and improves.

Originally posted by Memphis9er:
You just can't get over your bias against Smith can you? If you think yards and attempts are more important than not turning it over and scoring tds, you should change your handle.

Bias? Smith has been one of the worst qbs in the league for several years(fact). It was only a few weeks ago that Harbaugh didn't trust this offense with a 1st down at the Dallas 20 late in a close game.. So far Smith has maintained a high completion % (which helps his overall qb rating) by throwing almost exclusively short passes within 4 yards of the LOS no matter the situation (3rd and long etc). In one game this season his avg yards gained on passes was something like 2 yards. It was a joke. Defenses were crowding the LOS because they didn't fear our passing game. Why should they when our qb rarely throws for even 200 yards. But that's the offense you run when you don't trust the qb. It's why the Niners passing offense ranks so low in yards and completions.

The Bucs game gave me HOPE that Alex is getting better and that Harbaugh will trust him to look downfield more often. Even in that game though the Bucs dropped what should have been two interceptions (one of them likely would have been a pick 6). So I laugh when people start saying he has "arrived" or is finally the qb we thought he was when drafted #1 overall. He still has a long way to go. The past two games we have seen improved play from Alex but we have also seen equally (if not more impressive) play from the running game.

My hope is that Alex continues to get better because if that happens this team could do much better then simply win the awful NFC West.

Thanks for making my point. We seem to agree on most everything else. In case you haven't noticed man, Smith has thrown 15 td and only 2 int's over the last 11 games he has played in, that is more than a fluke, that is a trend. He has improved his game all around with better mechanics and a more consistent release point. Harbaugh is shaping him into what we drafted him to be, the talent has always been there, but our terrible coaching never knew how to tap it. As for the TB game, the running game was so good because Smith lit them up and they had to back off. It was a great team win though, and those are the best kind.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RonMexico:

love it. DARREN SHARRRPA. ONE OF THE HARDEST HITTING SAFETIES - IN DA LEEAAAGUE
Originally posted by Garcia:
Originally posted by RonMexico:

love it. DARREN SHARRRPA. ONE OF THE HARDEST HITTING SAFETIES - IN DA LEEAAAGUE
f**k YOU GUMBY
Share 49ersWebzone