LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 287 users in the forums

Define: "Type of QB who puts an offense on his back"

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by HessianDud:
he's averaging about 24 passes a game. Expecting him to complete 20 out of 24 every week is kind of absurd, no?

yes, he is not asked to do to much..except audible at the LOS, beat the blitz, not turn it over, throw accurate passes, etc. I agree we need him to keep getting better, but there's no reason to qualify what he's doing so far. He's running the offense, he's helping us win games, he's playing well. I hope he keeps it up, and improves.

Alex Smith ranks near the bottom of the league for completed passes so let's not pretend his avg is typical for a starting qb. He's asked to do the same things any nfl qb is asked only he's asked to do them less often. He's helping us win games but so is our top ten defense and a rushing attack that dominated the Eagles in the 4th qtr and all game against the Bucs. Yet nobody seems to feel Gore is leading us to victory. Why is that??
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Thanks for making my point. We seem to agree on most everything else. In case you haven't noticed man, Smith has thrown 15 td and only 2 int's over the last 11 games he has played in, that is more than a fluke, that is a trend. He has improved his game all around with better mechanics and a more consistent release point. Harbaugh is shaping him into what we drafted him to be, the talent has always been there, but our terrible coaching never knew how to tap it. As for the TB game, the running game was so good because Smith lit them up and they had to back off. It was a great team win though, and those are the best kind.

At no point in the Bucs game was our passing attack so dominate that the Bucs backed off. If anything, it was the running game that wore them down and caused them to quit as some Niners players alleged.

He completed all of 11 passes in the entire game while the Niners running backs gained over 200 yards on the ground yet were supposed to believe it was the passing game that made it easy for the rushing attack and not the other way around. Come on bro. That's ridiculous.

I will all ask one last time (although I'm sure it will be ignored becuase of the point it makes). If Alex had only completed six passes against the Bucs would you still say the passing attack caused the Bucs too quit and allowed our running game to succeed? You know the answer but won't admit it. It's crazy to claim a qb that complete only 11 passes played a bigger factor in a win then running backs that accounted for over 200 rushing yards (more yards then we had passing btw).
[ Edited by nflguy49 on Oct 14, 2011 at 1:14 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Seen Montana do it
Seen Young do it
Seen Garcia do it
Even seen Troy Smith do it against the rams last year.

Still haven't seen Alex do it.
Originally posted by nflguy49:
Thanks for making my point. We seem to agree on most everything else. In case you haven't noticed man, Smith has thrown 15 td and only 2 int's over the last 11 games he has played in, that is more than a fluke, that is a trend. He has improved his game all around with better mechanics and a more consistent release point. Harbaugh is shaping him into what we drafted him to be, the talent has always been there, but our terrible coaching never knew how to tap it. As for the TB game, the running game was so good because Smith lit them up and they had to back off. It was a great team win though, and those are the best kind.

At no point in the Bucs game was our passing attack so dominate that the Bucs backed off. If anything, it was the running game that wore them down and caused them to quit as some Niners players alleged.

He completed all of 11 passes in the entire game while the Niners running backs gained over 200 yards on the ground yet were supposed to believe it was the passing game that made it easy for the rushing attack and not the other way around. Come on bro. That's ridiculous.

I will all ask one last time (although I'm sure it will be ignored becuase of the point it makes). If Alex had only completed six passes against the Bucs would you still say the passing attack caused the Bucs too quit and allowed our running game to succeed? You know the answer but won't admit it. It's crazy to claim a qb that complete only 11 passes played a bigger factor in a win then running backs that accounted for over 200 rushing yards (more yards then we had passing btw).

1st QTR:

1- Alex to gore 6 yards (2 yac)
2- Gore run 1 yard
3- Alex to gore 12 yards (8yac)
4- Alex to Walker 26 yards (no yac) TD.

TB field goal (7-3)

5- Alex to Crabtree 21 yards (3 yac)
6- Ginn 24 yard run reverse
7 incomplete pass
8 gore run no gain
9 Alex to Morgan 14 yards (8 yac)
10 gore run 4 yards
11 Gore 1 yard and fumbles.

2nd Qtr:
Defensive pick 6 (score now 14-3)

12- Alex to Morgan 13 yards (no yac)
13- Gore run 6 yards
14- Gore run 13 y ards
15- Pass to VD interference 24 yard penalty
16- Gore run -1 yard
17- Gore run 2 yards TD (21-3)

18- Gore run 6 yards
19 Gore run 21 yards
20 Hunter run -1
21 Incomplete
22 Gore run 6 yards
Akers FG (24-3)

You don't see a trend there as the score gets higher and higher? Alex was very much a part of the offense until we were sitting on a two score lead. Then he was used only to keep the defense honest for the run. Which he did. This is an ideal situation. It DOES NOT GET BETTER than this.

What else did you want from him?
he's averaging about 24 passes a game. Expecting him to complete 20 out of 24 every week is kind of absurd, no?

yes, he is not asked to do to much..except audible at the LOS, beat the blitz, not turn it over, throw accurate passes, etc. I agree we need him to keep getting better, but there's no reason to qualify what he's doing so far. He's running the offense, he's helping us win games, he's playing well. I hope he keeps it up, and improves.

Alex Smith ranks near the bottom of the league for completed passes so let's not pretend his avg is typical for a starting qb. He's asked to do the same things any nfl qb is asked only he's asked to do them less often. He's helping us win games but so is our top ten defense and a rushing attack that dominated the Eagles in the 4th qtr and all game against the Bucs. Yet nobody seems to feel Gore is leading us to victory. Why is that??

because won games when Gore was averaging 2 yards a carry. Why was that?

I'm not saying Alex is the #1 reason we've won games. But he's a big part, for lots of reasons.

dude, just accept that your hate for the guy is blinding you to reality. It's obvious to everyone but you.

I'm not saying Alex is the #1 reason we've won games. But he's a big part, for lots of reasons.

dude, just accept that your hate for the guy is blinding you to reality. It's obvious to everyone but you.

Alex has done his part, but he is not the reason-which is what a qb that carries his team on his back means to me.
Originally posted by WildBill:

Alex has done his part, but he is not the reason-which is what a qb that carries his team on his back means to me.

for sure. i'm really just arguing against nflguy's "turd in the punchbowl" routine.
So, Smith is one of the best in the red zone, one of the best against the blitz, rated number 3 currently but that's not good enough for the habitual Smith critics. OK, keep spewing your venom and if you are lucky Smith will start playing poorly, the season will go down the toilet and you will be so very happy!
when it doesnt matter what happens in the game. the momentum can be going for the other team. the refs are blowing calls. the receivers are dropping balls. the qb will just say who cares and find a way to win the game. troy smith did it last year in a game. alex has not had to do it yet this year. he could have done it in the cowboy game but i dont think hes that guy. hes playing well but i dont think he will ever be that guy.
Originally posted by 49ersCF:
when it doesnt matter what happens in the game. the momentum can be going for the other team. the refs are blowing calls. the receivers are dropping balls. the qb will just say who cares and find a way to win the game. troy smith did it last year in a game. alex has not had to do it yet this year. he could have done it in the cowboy game but i dont think hes that guy. hes playing well but i dont think he will ever be that guy.

Uh, did you forget the Philly game this year? And the MNF season opener against AZ, and at seattle in 06?

I like the 49ers
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by susweel:
Seen Montana do it
Seen Young do it
Seen Garcia do it

Actually Sus you gotta give him props, he did look pretty clutch against the Eagles in the second half.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Wow who said that?? Really hope your not referring to me, cause that's not what I meant or said at all (in the other thread).

IMO:

A QB who will keep his poise when the odds are stacked against him, in other words comes back from adversity.

Reads a defense well, identifies the weakness of the defense and exploits it.

Makes the tough throw under pressure, doesn't get rattled when the heat (pass rush, blitz) is turned up.

Shaj said something to that effect in the official beat the dead horse thread. But doesn't your description fit what Smith did in the Eagles game?

It exactly does and even give him his props for it too.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by susweel:
Seen Montana do it
Seen Young do it
Seen Garcia do it

Actually Sus you gotta give him props, he did look pretty clutch against the Eagles in the second half.

Yah he made some good throws.
Alex "The Main Man" Smith is a []D [] []V[] []D and the lions D is going to be his b***hes this Sunday!!
Share 49ersWebzone