LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 270 users in the forums

Define: "Type of QB who puts an offense on his back"

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We won this game despite a poor performance from Alex.
Originally posted by nflguy49:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
it must really tear you up that he gets the W. Oh, if only there were a way to have the stats listed as: 49ers 5-1 and Alex Smith 0-6!

Nope. I doubt many people watched this game and walked away thinking "With a qb like that, look out packers!"

true, no one is saying that. Whatever is the vice-versa equivalent is just as ridiculous though.

He had a bad game - but was able to put it together again and make it count in crunch time - I know I walked away from this game thinking I am so glad we have Alex and not Romo. What QB has not had a bad game against this front 7?

They definately need to be working on Alexes foot work and mechanics on the mid to short drops because those high passes are dangerous for the receivers and are begging to be intercepted.

That note - Getting Braylon back is going to be huge - we get Loyd - Fricking Money - and Delanie has got to catch ALL the balls in his fricking hands in the end zone.
true, no one is saying that. Whatever is the vice-versa equivalent is just as ridiculous though.

It's ridiculous for people watching that game to think Alex is not a very good qb? It was easily his worst game this year. A three yard pass to Walker doesn't change the fact that he played poorly all game while the running game and defense saved his ass again. Harbaugh has a lot of work to do with Alex if we want to beat the Packers in the playoffs (I do expect the Niners to face the Packers in Greenbay in January).

The Niners won't beat Greenbay unless Alex gets a whole lot better. So it doesn't help to pretend that Alex had as much impact on the victory as the defense and running game. IF Alex picks up his game (Harbaugh is just the coach to help him) this team could do far better in the playoffs then any of us even dreamed.

I want a NFC Championship victory over the Packers. How much Alex can improve between now and January will be the difference. Book it.
[ Edited by nflguy49 on Oct 17, 2011 at 8:15 AM ]

It's ridiculous for people watching that game to think Alex is not a very good qb? It was easily his worst game this year. A three yard pass to Walker doesn't change the fact that he played poorly all game while the running game and defense saved his ass again. Harbaugh has a lot of work to do with Alex if we want to beat the Packers in the plays (I do expect the Niners to face Green Bay in January).

The Niners won't beat Greenbay unless Alex gets a whole lot better. So it doesn't help to pretend that Alex had as much impact on the victory as the defense and running game. IF Alex picks up his game (Harbaugh is just the coach to help him) this team could do far better in the playoffs then any of us even dreamed.

I want a NFC Championship victory over the Packers. How much Alex can improve between now and January will be the difference. Book it.

Alex had the play of the game in gut check time. The fourth down touchdown that won the game to Delanie Walker who did a heckuva job of carrying a defender into the endzone. Alex had ZERO WR corps in this game. Kyle Williams was MIA, and of course Josh Morgan and Braylon Edwards hurt. Vernon Davis was largely a non-factor in the passing game. Really it was Crabtree and that's about it. And you come on here to bash Alex's performance after his third game winning drive in the 4th quarter on the road this season?

Really??

Enjoy the W and let's worry about the Browns before we worry about your NFC Championship game.

While I didn't think Smith played well today, he won the game at the end by making the right decision to throw to Walker. I understand your not wanting to give him credit but if you are fair you will admit this play was gutsy and, as Harbaugh said, Clutch! A lot of very good QBs had subpar days Sunday, Brady with an unusual 80 QBR and two Ints. Rogers had is standard lights out day. Many on this board wanted Grossman over Smith last year...argh!

So, for the guys who wanted anyone but Smith (were you in this group?)--who is having a better year and was available? I like Matt Hasselbeck but his QBR is .7 better than Smith, two more Ints, and his team is 3-2 as opposed to the 9ers 5-1...and he is injury prone. He's it from what I can see. Orton and Kolb near the bottom weren't the answer.

So, celebrate and be happy!

It's ridiculous for people watching that game to think Alex is not a very good qb? It was easily his worst game this year. A three yard pass to Walker doesn't change the fact that he played poorly all game while the running game and defense saved his ass again. Harbaugh has a lot of work to do with Alex if we want to beat the Packers in the playoffs (I do expect the Niners to face the Packers in Greenbay in January).

hopefully he'll throw for 400 yards in a loss someday so you can be happy.
How can anyone say Alex was the only reason why his day was bad? Sure he air mailed some throws but before those throws he was on point but for someone reason our guys can't make a routine catch or highlight catches that make it on sportscenter. His stats were horrible but his teammates had a lot to do with it as much as he did. If a couple of our guys makes some catches he could've had 3 TDs for the day and his stats would look a lot better. 2 catches could've made a huge difference, 2.
[ Edited by gamechanger on Oct 17, 2011 at 10:00 AM ]
hopefully he'll throw for 400 yards in a loss someday so you can be happy.

Yeah, since that's the only other option. Smith either plays mediocre in a game we win OR he throws for 400 yards in a loss. lol
Share 49ersWebzone