There are 198 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Morgan Officially placed on IR according to 49ers.com

Originally posted by susweel:
Just sign Ziegler already, not much of a drop off with him and Josh.

With all due respect, Ziggy weighs about 185 lbs. and Morgan weighs 220. I'd say there is a pretty big difference there, particularly when it comes to blocking. Plus, one of the reasons Ziggy was finally cut was because it didn't appear he was fully recovered from last year's knee injury. One has to wonder if he has yet.

Bottom line, there is a reason why he didn't make the team and there is a reason why the Niners have their guys on the practice squad.
[ Edited by nw9erfan on Oct 10, 2011 at 3:39 PM ]
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Joshua Morgan, who since entering the league in 2008 has been the 49ers' most dependable and durable wide receiver, will have surgery today on his fractured right ankle, according to a source with knowledge of the procedure. The 49ers have not yet decided whether Morgan, 26, will be placed on injured reserve, which would end his season.

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/10/wr-morgan-to-undergo-surgery-today.html#ixzz1aOmFsLbY

Doesn't mean he's out yet......

Personally I think they should put him on IR. I'm betting he'll be out 6-8 weeks and they're pretty thin at WR, so they could use the roster spot instead of moving a player back to the PS.

Once the surgery is over and the doctors get a followup visit we should know more. I would keep him active if he's at 8 weeks or less.

The surgery will tell the story. Unless it is a fractured fibula, I would expect he could come back in December. Fibula takes a long time to heal. The blood supply at the lower end of the fib is much less than other bones.

We may not know exactly what happened as the 49ers don't give out much info. However, if they do not put him on IR right away, it will indicate a relatively minor break.
When they say a fracture just above the ankle it sounds like a broken fibula. I college I broke my fibula about 3 inches away from my ankle. I walked off the field on my own and didn't require surgery and the doctors told me the recovery time was about 6 weeks without incorporating rehab. With him having surgery, I'm gonna be optimistic and say he'll be back in time for the playoffs.
I still think it's a damn shame that Morgan was still in the game. What were they thinking???
Originally posted by NJNiner:
I still think it's a damn shame that Morgan was still in the game. What were they thinking???

Trying to get Kaepernick 1st string reps in live game action.
Cmon now...any player can get injured on any play. It's unfortunate, but thats football.

What if he got injured throwing a block on a run play? Exactly.

That we only had 4 receivers active, and on a run play a lineman can just as easily get rolled up in the pile, which ya know, would also suck.

They were thinking they didn't want to put TB's offense back on the field.

Harb's explained it perfectly.
Kick the FG - Subject your kicker & special teams to an injury along with the defense when it gets back on the field... TB was not gonna kneel down with 4 minutes left.

Run for the 1st - Higher probability that lineman get rolled up on during run plays vs pass plays.

Pass for the 1st - lowest probability that some one gets injured, unfortunately this time was the outlier. Why was Morgan out there? Pretty simple, in a 3 wr set who else would be? There's only 4 wr's active.

There's no reason to really question the call, no matter what play was chosen there was a risk of injury. There is no option to not play the last 4 minutes of the game. Morgan is the #3 WR, who has stepped up in Braylon's absense, now its time for Ginn or Williams to do the same. That's football, it's not a game of hindsight.

They were thinking that an NFL football game is 60 minutes long, not 54 minutes.
  • Blitz
  • Veteran

They were thinking of getting reps for Kap with the number ones against an opponents number ones. I would chalk this injury up to an unfortunate occurrence and nothing more. It's a freak thing, Morgans chances of sustaining an injury were the same throughout the game....if just so happened to occur then instead of some other time. Him not being pulled did not cause his injury. It was not the cause.

Young used to come in and play with the ones whenever they had the chance to put him in for Montana all the time. At any time Young or the number ones could have suffered an injury. What if Young had a career ending injury? Would the thinking have been flawed then? What if Kap "our future QB" suffered an injury? What about Kap or anybody else playing in pre-season, or even practicing, or even riding in an automobile?

You can't protect everybody all the time. You can't play it like they are wearing glass slippers.
[ Edited by Blitz on Oct 10, 2011 at 3:04 PM ]
Originally posted by RDB4216:

They were thinking that an NFL football game is 60 minutes long, not 54 minutes.

QFT.

There were four minutes in the game, can't kneel. Run the ball? And risk getting a lineman rolled up on, or breaking the RBs ankle?

This is football. Injuries happen. This was just bad luck and fantastic coaching.
[ Edited by okdkid on Oct 10, 2011 at 3:05 PM ]
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by okdkid:

QFT.

There were four minutes in the game, can't kneel. Run the ball? And risk getting a lineman rolled up on, or breaking the RBs ankle?

This is football. Injuries happen. This was just bad luck and fantastic coaching.

Yes, it was timing, the injury could have occurred at any time, to anybody.
You guys done dogging my comment? I
Originally posted by Blitz:
Originally posted by okdkid:

QFT.

Yes, it was timing, the injury could have occurred at any time, to anybody.

not sure if its been noted but we had only 4 WR's healthy and playing yesterday. Some one had to be out there. Not like high school or college, where you have like 4 back-ups at all positions.
Don't know if you guys saw this from TMZ (http://www.tmz.com/)

Emergency officials were responding to a call about a possible prescription pill overdose when they were dispatched to the L.A. apartment where Terrell Owens was staying last week ... law enforcement sources tell TMZ. As we first reported, Owens was transported by ambulance to an L.A. hospital Thursday night. Cops were also dispatched to investigate -- and spoke with T.O. at the hospital.Owens has since been released. A rep for Owens had no comment on the matter. T.O. was famously hospitalized back in 2006 -- when he insisted he had a bad reaction to painkillers ... despite reports that he tried to commit suicide by inhaling 35 Vicodin pills. T.O. later held a news conference on the matter and stated, "The rumor of me taking 35 pills, I think is absurd. I don't think I would be here if I had taken 35 pills."

So, he may be healed from his knee---but he may still have serious issues.
Its football, people get hurt. Every snap of the ball has a chance for someone to get hurt. It was a simple 5 yard out route, pretty safe play. If the first defender would've done his job and actually tackled Morgan we wouldn't be having this conversation