LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 318 users in the forums

Morgan Officially placed on IR according to 49ers.com

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Just sign Ziegler already, not much of a drop off with him and Josh.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Joshua Morgan, who since entering the league in 2008 has been the 49ers' most dependable and durable wide receiver, will have surgery today on his fractured right ankle, according to a source with knowledge of the procedure. The 49ers have not yet decided whether Morgan, 26, will be placed on injured reserve, which would end his season.

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/10/wr-morgan-to-undergo-surgery-today.html#ixzz1aOmFsLbY

Doesn't mean he's out yet......

Personally I think they should put him on IR. I'm betting he'll be out 6-8 weeks and they're pretty thin at WR, so they could use the roster spot instead of moving a player back to the PS.

Once the surgery is over and the doctors get a followup visit we should know more. I would keep him active if he's at 8 weeks or less.

The surgery will tell the story. Unless it is a fractured fibula, I would expect he could come back in December. Fibula takes a long time to heal. The blood supply at the lower end of the fib is much less than other bones.

We may not know exactly what happened as the 49ers don't give out much info. However, if they do not put him on IR right away, it will indicate a relatively minor break.
If he can make it back for the stretch run then keep him on. We have a wasted spot being taken by an injured Moran Norris. Give him an injury settlement and get rid of him and sign a wr.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Houshmandzadeh?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
In Harbaugh presser he said Morgan has a broken bone in leg not an ankle break. Says doesn't know how long he'll be out until after surgery today.
Originally posted by mayo49:
In Harbaugh presser he said Morgan has a broken bone in leg not an ankle break. Says doesn't know how long he'll be out until after surgery today.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by SoTx9R:

He's done for the year I think.
The surgery will tell the story. Unless it is a fractured fibula, I would expect he could come back in December. Fibula takes a long time to heal. The blood supply at the lower end of the fib is much less than other bones.

We may not know exactly what happened as the 49ers don't give out much info. However, if they do not put him on IR right away, it will indicate a relatively minor break.

As long as he doesn't go Hearst on us.....
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Oct 10, 2011 at 12:25 PM ]
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

As long as he doesn't go Hearts on us.....

Ya..I hate it when people shoot the moon.
  • dj43

That is good news. They can put in a plate or screws and hold the bone secure while it heals. As long as the location of the fracture does not effect the interphase between the leg bone (tibia or fibula) and the ankle bone (talus) he could be back in 6-8 weeks. Another good thing is that with the fracture line secured, he could also do some conditioning during rehab that he could not do with a sprain. Of course, if it involves the fibula, it could take a little longer. Won't know until after the surgery is completed.

Here are some views of the bones involved. http://www.doereport.com/generateexhibit.php?ID=2543&ExhibitKeywordsRaw=&TL=&A= In this view, the fibula is in the foreground and the tibia (shinbone) is behind. They are both connected to the ankle bone. Other views at the same link.
Originally posted by susweel:
Just sign Ziegler already, not much of a drop off with him and Josh.

Except Ziggy isn't nearly as good a player, or even in the same conversation as a blocker, so yea, no real drop off.Don't get me wrong, I like Ziggy's speed, but this is a different team this year, no blocky no playee

• mayo49
  • Veteran
That is good news. They can put in a plate or screws and hold the bone secure while it heals. As long as the location of the fracture does not effect the interphase between the leg bone (tibia or fibula) and the ankle bone (talus) he could be back in 6-8 weeks. Another good thing is that with the fracture line secured, he could also do some conditioning during rehab that he could not do with a sprain. Of course, if it involves the fibula, it could take a little longer. Won't know until after the surgery is completed.

Here are some views of the bones involved. http://www.doereport.com/generateexhibit.php?ID=2543&ExhibitKeywordsRaw=&TL=&A= In this view, the fibula is in the foreground and the tibia (shinbone) is behind. They are both connected to the ankle bone. Other views at the same link.

Good work, dj. Also, it doesn't involve ligaments. He'd surely be out for the season if it was.
Mindi Bach just said, "it certainly sounds like he will be out for the rest of the season." Then Maiocco agreed.....
At the presser Harbaugh dodged the question as to whether or not he thinks Morgan will be back this season. He just wished Josh a speedy recovery.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Mindi Bach just said, "it certainly sounds like he will be out for the rest of the season." Then Maiocco agreed.....

It was pretty obvious when they carried him off the field.
  • dj43

As long as he doesn't go Hearst on us.....

Right. Hearst broke the fibula.
Share 49ersWebzone