There are 68 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers are ranked DEAD LAST in total offense

Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
This and the reasons we are last IN YARDAGE have been discussed in other threads. If anyone pays attention to Harbaugh and Romans pressers, they would not be shocked by this occurrence. The main reason for this is conservative game planning because the offense is only a month or two old. The line is struggling with the zone blocking scheme, as is Gore. Finally we are 2-1 and have been in every game, it is going to be ugly, but ugly wins are still wins. I suspect as the year progresses we will see more of the playbook.

What is Cam Newton's excuse for setting rookie passing records for the worst team in the league with a defensive head coach and a shortened off season?

And please don't bring up their W/L standings vs us. There is not a GM in the league, including Baalke, that would take Smith over Newton.

Point being, the excuses are getting tired. We have a timid, high % short pass thrower at QB who can produce high passer ratings but minimal TDs or yards. He also can't play in the clutch to save his life. Our D and ST has to bail us out when it's close or we are behind.

Hey Shaj, this is a tough one... When you throw the ball 40+ times, is it more than likely you will have more yardage than throwing the ball 20-30 times? How does that work? I mean Cam threw what 32 times last game? 152 yards...

First you have to look at history: Cam has had 400 yard games (plural) 3 games into his career. Smith has barely cracked 300 yards MAYBE twice in 7 years.

Second, you have to look at WHY Cam is entrusted to throw a lot while Smith is not. Say what you want, but coach after coach has not been willing to entrust Smith to take the team on his back and win through the air. The man cannot even inspire confidence in his own coaching staff. Getting asked to be a "game manager" is the ultimate kiss of death in the NFL. The blunt translation is "just don't f**k it up, okay?".

All heresay and opinion. Same as mine. Also the league catches on to guys like this quickly and he will be a lot less producive as time goes on. I mean I give credit where it is due, but once teams have more video of the guy, his numbers will decrease.

Also I think Cam Newton was a much better QB coming out of College. I am a Utes fan, and feel strongly ALex would have benefitted playing his senior year. Alex should not have been a #1 pick, but he was one of two QB's out there and 49ers picked him needing a QB. I think people forget that Alex was a "project" pick, and we did a rather horrible job at managing him. Guys like Cam, and Bradford were much more NFL ready.
Originally posted by 52thegreat:
This and the reasons we are last IN YARDAGE have been discussed in other threads. If anyone pays attention to Harbaugh and Romans pressers, they would not be shocked by this occurrence. The main reason for this is conservative game planning because the offense is only a month or two old. The line is struggling with the zone blocking scheme, as is Gore. Finally we are 2-1 and have been in every game, it is going to be ugly, but ugly wins are still wins. I suspect as the year progresses we will see more of the playbook.

What is Cam Newton's excuse for setting rookie passing records for the worst team in the league with a defensive head coach and a shortened off season?

And please don't bring up their W/L standings vs us. There is not a GM in the league, including Baalke, that would take Smith over Newton.

Point being, the excuses are getting tired. We have a timid, high % short pass thrower at QB who can produce high passer ratings but minimal TDs or yards. He also can't play in the clutch to save his life. Our D and ST has to bail us out when it's close or we are behind.

That 70+ yard drive toward the end of the Bengals game was pretty clutch.

He can be intermittently impressive (and we could have used clutch performance in the Cowboys game). His problems are lack of instinct, accuracy, consistency, on the field leadership, mobility in the pocket, and ability to play in the clutch.

He can do each of those from time to time, but not nearly enough, and not even as much as many rookies in their first NFL game.

HIs positive attributes are that he is book smart, has a great attitude, and has a strong arm, none of which produce results on the field.

I think the defense pretty much lost us the Cowboys game as they did with the New Orleans game last year.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
We rank dead last in yards, yes.

But we rank

1st in TO margin
8th in time of possesion
12th in points (Don't care how we got them points are points)

If our running game kicks in we will be fine.
Maybe if we had an OLIne that could run block and pass block that would change. Until then invest in Kleenex.
2-1 and almost 3-0. We are ranked fourth in the entire league in points allowed and the D only gave up 52 points. As long we we keep our opponents from scoring, we can afford to keep our offensive output low. Please don't let your fantasy football mentality cloud your opinions.
I told you it would be ugly...however, the team has one more win than I thought they would at this point....so, color me impressed. We are at the top of the NFC West.

Now, while Baalke is "hitting the road" as an article recently stated, can he cook up an offensive lineman who can block? That would be a novel idea.

Shaj man, if I have to explain to you the difference between Cams situation and our offensive situation one more time...f**k it. For the last time, Cam is on a team that has been running the same offense for years, his line can block, his running backs are able to get yards. Our offense as a whole is learning a new system, our line is not blocking, our running game is worse than the passing game...are you getting it yet? Any kid playing football in junior varsity could understand this, but you have trouble because of a personal bias. You spout this same rhetoric every time you post. One more thing any GM in the NFL would take a 2-1 record regardless if how they got there over a turnover laden 1-2 record every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Also Smith is the only one making what little offense we have had work, but of course that means nothing to you, you'd rather have yards than wins right? Your comprehension of football must be pretty damn superficial if you cannot grasp what is going on, I know you have an admitted bias against Smith, but if you think he is the problem, you have serious issues.
worst offense in the league. I wonder why that is?
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
anyone got a stat as to how many of Alex Smith's passes are to the running backs/fullbacks? I'm guessing more than half.
12-52 receptions
Gore 6
Miller 4
Hunter 2

That is surprising to me, too.

Also -

20 attempts
24 attempts
30 attempts

Each game = mopre passing yardage.

Anyone see a pattern??

If we can get the running game going and get Smith to check down just 25% less, we'll be on to something.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
who cares we also have 2 wins and we get teh offense when it matters (in order to take the lead)

were one of two teams that have a completey new system (jo,,y raye digit offense to harbaighs WCO

like harbaugh and roman said before teh season started we will start off slow but the offense will open up more week by week

week 1: 20 pass attemots 124 yards
week 2: 24 pass attempts 174 yards

233k 3: 30 pass attemots 201 yards

they also said they will "onnly do just enough to win"

we have done that

so plase stop b***hing about the lack of offensive yards

At least there seems to be an upward trend....
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
That is surprising to me, too.

Also -

20 attempts
24 attempts
30 attempts

Each game = mopre passing yardage.

Anyone see a pattern??

If we can get the running game going and get Smith to check down just 25% less, we'll be on to something.

It all depends on the line getting the job done. With a running game and just a little pass protection, the qb just might have time to look downfield.
Hmmmm surprisingly this thread turned into a thread about the qb.
Originally posted by susweel:
Hmmmm surprisingly this thread turned into a thread about the qb.

Every time Shaj posts it turns into one.
  • Shemp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Chief:
We rank dead last in yards, yes.

But we rank

1st in TO margin
8th in time of possesion
12th in points (Don't care how we got them points are points)

If our running game kicks in we will be fine.

this is the first time I've seen you post about something other than sex, lol.
  • Shemp
  • Veteran

Shaj man, if I have to explain to you the difference between Cams situation and our offensive situation one more time...f**k it. For the last time, Cam is on a team that has been running the same offense for years, his line can block, his running backs are able to get yards. Our offense as a whole is learning a new system, our line is not blocking, our running game is worse than the passing game...are you getting it yet? Any kid playing football in junior varsity could understand this, but you have trouble because of a personal bias. You spout this same rhetoric every time you post. One more thing any GM in the NFL would take a 2-1 record regardless if how they got there over a turnover laden 1-2 record every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Also Smith is the only one making what little offense we have had work, but of course that means nothing to you, you'd rather have yards than wins right? Your comprehension of football must be pretty damn superficial if you cannot grasp what is going on, I know you have an admitted bias against Smith, but if you think he is the problem, you have serious issues.

Memphis, calm down bro, this is not a fight. I hope you realize you are telling me that the worst team in the NFL has been this wonderful place for Cam to land. If they were clicking so well, then they would not have been last. Quarterbacks make the rest of the offense work, not the other way around. The offense plays as the QB does. Good QBs make the entire offense look good, and bad QBs make the entire offense look bad. It's not that complicated.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home