LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 274 users in the forums

49ers are ranked DEAD LAST in total offense

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
But they usually explain extenuating circumstances...such as, he sat on the bench for the first four years, or he played in the USFL for a year or two and then for a bad TB team. So, we can get a more accurate picture rather than stating a number of years. Another example--Smith and Rodgers have almost the same number of yards per season. Of course, I did not explain that I am not counting Smith's lost year but I am counting Rodgers years as a non starter (he did have yards those years but Smith had no yards during the year he did not play).

Whether you love or hate Smith it's better to put all the info out for examination. That is why I appreciate posters like Oldman9er--even when I disagree with him it is not for lack of understanding his position. There are many posters on both sides of the Smith debate I appreciate...just can't name them all.

I think it's fair to bring up Alex's actual start total just like it's fair to bring up that he's on his 7th coordinator in 7 years.

He's delt with alot of extenuating circumstances over the years, and it should be noted. I just had to point out that when people say year 7 that's an accurate description of his career length. Rodgers is in year 7 too even though this is his 4th year as a starter. That's not a number that can be adjusted. It's just stating how long you've been removed from college and how many calendar years you've participated in the NFL.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Sep 29, 2011 at 8:10 PM ]
Is there such thing as being "ALIVE LAST" in offense?
Umm... last time I checked, points are farrrr more important than yards. Maiocco is such an idiot!
  • Jiks
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by susweel:
Yeah why? Oh you are saying he threw those. False it was Alex...

Troy played in GB and in Zona. Fact

Go back and check your facts before you step up to the great one.

Appologize 09, Troy Smith wasn't even playing for the Niners. Crabtree's 1st t.d. And the very last game last year Alex played the Cardinals. We play them twice.... Right? Head your own advice You know the very last game last year? So am I right? I think I am Alex Smith 276 yard 2 t.d.s
Hey great one ... I still never got my response...

And I will admit that I was wrong about the year and also that this was Ginn not Crabs. But about the deep ball, first play...

They keep trying to improve:

Thursday's 49ers practice at Youngstown State brought a new wrinkle. During the individual drills portion of practice, Jim Harbaugh and two assistants brought out what, upon first glance, appeared to be a giant piece of cheese. It later turned out to be an old, yellow wrestling mat about the size of a king mattress.

The mattress, likely discovered in the bowels of the university's stadium, was held up by two assistants and used by Harbaugh as a screen for his receivers. He instructed them to stand behind it and then "pop out" to snag a pass from the quarterbacks who were firing passes from 15 yards away.

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/09/harbaugh-goes-to-the-mattresses-in-thursdays-practice.html#ixzz1ZP5JFS4n

Brilliant in its simplicity. Lets hope it helps.
  • Jiks
Originally posted by darkknight49:

Thursday's 49ers practice at Youngstown State brought a new wrinkle. During the individual drills portion of practice, Jim Harbaugh and two assistants brought out what, upon first glance, appeared to be a giant piece of cheese. It later turned out to be an old, yellow wrestling mat about the size of a king mattress.

The mattress, likely discovered in the bowels of the university's stadium, was held up by two assistants and used by Harbaugh as a screen for his receivers. He instructed them to stand behind it and then "pop out" to snag a pass from the quarterbacks who were firing passes from 15 yards away.

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/09/harbaugh-goes-to-the-mattresses-in-thursdays-practice.html#ixzz1ZP5JFS4n

Wow, that is pretty cool. I wonder what exactly he's trying to accomplish though? Timing, read time, accuracy, awareness, heck it could even help getting in a rythym with your receivers?
[ Edited by JiksJuicy on Sep 29, 2011 at 8:49 PM ]
We may be last in offense, but there's a few 0-3 teams ranked higher in offense than us. I'd rather be 2-1.

Wow, that is pretty cool. I wonder what exactly he's trying to accomplish though? Timing, read time, accuracy, awareness, heck it could even help getting in a rythym with your receivers?
Hand eye coordination. Forced them to locate the ball before the put their hands up to get it.

Its similar to the drill where you blow the whistle, turn 180 degrees and snag the ball. Only this time theres a visual block in your way.
If we're 2-1 and ranked dead last in total offense, than we're doing fukn great. Just goes to show that there is more to winning than just offensive stats. Who gives a rat's ass about stats, at the end of the day the best stats won't guarantee you a win, scoring points is what gets you a win and last time I checked we were ranked 12th in points per game.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Hand eye coordination. Forced them to locate the ball before the put their hands up to get it.

Its similar to the drill where you blow the whistle, turn 180 degrees and snag the ball. Only this time theres a visual block in your way.

yea, the idea is to locate the ball in an instant and snag it. An on field example would be say a crossing route where the receiver's view is obstructed by the LBs or DBS and the ball shows up out of no where. It's to avoid what happened in that ubiquitous Brandon lloyd gif.

Share 49ersWebzone