There are 238 users in the forums

49ers are ranked DEAD LAST in total offense

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Hmmmm surprisingly this thread turned into a thread about the qb.

Every time Shaj posts it turns into one.

Well your probably Smith's most adamant defender, it seems as if you take some of Smith's critiques personal or something.

I dont' think he's a Smith defender at all. Just a reasonable expectation of the team and its players defender. Without having residual of misguided perception of Smith from years past.

I am just against the illogical crap that gets dumped on the guy by people that lack the reasoning to see that Smith is not the only or biggest problem with this team. I was pissed when we drafted him, this team was not ready for a qb at the time, much less an obvious project qb from a spread offense. Over the years I have come to realize that the guy does have talent enough to be a good qb, this organization has been a giant fail at developing him. Every qb that does a niner game talks about how bad it is for a qb to have a revolving door at OC, not to mention coaches that don't know the first thing about teaching a qb to play in the pros. I pull for the guy because he is the qb for my team, I do not see anything wrong with that. Some of our guys are way too critical of Smith for the level of understanding they express.
This and the reasons we are last IN YARDAGE have been discussed in other threads. If anyone pays attention to Harbaugh and Romans pressers, they would not be shocked by this occurrence. The main reason for this is conservative game planning because the offense is only a month or two old. The line is struggling with the zone blocking scheme, as is Gore. Finally we are 2-1 and have been in every game, it is going to be ugly, but ugly wins are still wins. I suspect as the year progresses we will see more of the playbook.
IDK how many times we have to say this before 49er fans realize it
I am just against the illogical crap that gets dumped on the guy by people that lack the reasoning to see that Smith is not the only or biggest problem with this team. I was pissed when we drafted him, this team was not ready for a qb at the time, much less an obvious project qb from a spread offense. Over the years I have come to realize that the guy does have talent enough to be a good qb, this organization has been a giant fail at developing him. Every qb that does a niner game talks about how bad it is for a qb to have a revolving door at OC, not to mention coaches that don't know the first thing about teaching a qb to play in the pros. I pull for the guy because he is the qb for my team, I do not see anything wrong with that. Some of our guys are way too critical of Smith for the level of understanding they express.

THIS!!!
  • THEB
  • Veteran
DEAD LAST OFFENSE (us) vs DEAD LAST DEFENSE (eagles) should be an interesting game
Originally posted by BobS:
It is the same old barely get 200 yards of offense a game since Garcia left, the only time we got more was with O'Sullivan, but he had too many turnovers. In spite of the 2-1 start this team is 6-10 material until we get a real NFL LINE.

Fixed
Hmmmm surprisingly this thread turned into a thread about the qb.

Every time Shaj posts it turns into one.

Well your probably Smith's most adamant defender, it seems as if you take some of Smith's critiques personal or something.

I dont' think he's a Smith defender at all. Just a reasonable expectation of the team and it's players defender. Without having residual of misguided perception of Smith from years past.

Well past performances is pretty much on par with current performances. Other then the decrease in the turnovers the rest is all the same, check down passes and no real chance taking. I also believe if JH were to take the training wheels off that the turnovers would return.

I think we would agree Smith's improve seems marginal. But our base perception of Smith is a bit different. I never thought Smith was as terrible as you guys made him out to be in previous years. So his 'improvement' may seems marginal but it's where I thought he would be with a good coaching staff behind him and the offense. There are some here that see other qb around the league spreading the ball around racking up yardage and correlate that Smith is bad for not being able to do that. But that just it, he's not bad, he's 'safe' . The coaching staff trust him right now because he's safe. They wanted that right now and that's what he's giving them. Could this change once the line and the other guys on offense come back from injuries and more playing time in this offense...? I think so, but not as much as people may think. I think Smith can take chances but he will always err on the safe side. Harbaugh, Smith, and the offense will only start to open and take chances once our guys are well verse. You just don't take chances until then cause there's a lot that can go wrong very quickly.

We will see how this turn out during the season

Dont you know that there is an I in TEIAM! of course everything is Alex's fault! hes the reason we cant score points, he's the reason our WR drop passes, he's the reason why our OL cant block, he's the reason Frank Gore cant run, he's the reason our defense can't rush the QB, he's the reason our defense can't defend the pass, he's the reason Harbaugh is playing conservative, he's the reason why Crabtree doesn't play OTA's or the preseason, he's the reason why we don't draft particularly well in drafts and damn it he's the reason why the York's picked coaches like Erickson, Nolan, and Singletary

Believe it or not, I was for picking Aaron Rogers cause he's more 'ready' than Smith coming out of a the spread in college. But I the time I thought our coaching staff would know what they were doing to bring Smith along. And in the end it would not matter. Boy we were all duped by the Nolan.
  • THEB
  • Veteran
Believe it or not, I was for picking Aaron Rogers cause he's more 'ready' than Smith coming out of a the spread in college. But I the time I thought our coaching staff would know what they were doing to bring Smith along. And in the end it would not matter. Boy we were all duped by the Nolan.

The only reason aaron rodgers is any good at all is because he sat behind the second best QB to ever play this game in Brett Favre. (1st best is Joe Montana)
Originally posted by THEB:

The only reason aaron rodgers is any good at all is because he sat behind the second best QB to ever play this game in Brett Favre. (1st best is Joe Montana)

YUP THAT'S THE ONLY REASON!

I'm used to this....Alex fans discrediting other QBs, just to make Alex look not as bad.......when compared to SuperBowl MVP Aaron Rodgers...or any other QB.

Originally posted by Joecool:
Smith has had Gore, Vernon Davis, and Crabtree and will soon have Edwards. Still don't know how the talent around Alex Smith is downgraded. I all honesty, Smith has better talent around him that creates more mismatches for defenses.

Who is downgrading anyone?
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jamespowers:
Originally posted by Chief:
We rank dead last in yards, yes.

But we rank

1st in TO margin
8th in time of possesion
12th in points (Don't care how we got them points are points)

If our running game kicks in we will be fine.
Wow, 1st in Turnovers. Good number there. We are also 2-1 in the W and L numbers. The most important stat

For now. Turnovers is a primary reason we have played well. I rarely take that as a good thing. All a good team needs to do is secure the ball and they will most likely beat us because rarely does a team keep up with their turnover ratio. I'll take it, but turnovers hide many deficiencies a team has.

Joe, you are digging. Winning the turn over margin shows strengths in a team not deficiencies, I don't even understand how you can say that...?
Originally posted by Jamespowers:
We rank dead last in yards, yes.

But we rank

1st in TO margin
8th in time of possesion
12th in points (Don't care how we got them points are points)

If our running game kicks in we will be fine.
Wow, 1st in Turnovers. Good number there. We are also 2-1 in the W and L numbers. The most important stat

For now. Turnovers is a primary reason we have played well. I rarely take that as a good thing. All a good team needs to do is secure the ball and they will most likely beat us because rarely does a team keep up with their turnover ratio. I'll take it, but turnovers hide many deficiencies a team has.

Joe, you are digging. Winning the turn over margin shows strengths in a team not deficiencies, I don't even understand how you can say that...?

I know turnovers are a part of the game and this and that but turnovers do hide deficiencies of a team. Look at previous years when we would get those 5-turnover games or in another area, the 5 sack games and we win. Those wins hid a lot of other deficiencies that we could not overcome if we play a team that is mistake free for the game. We still need to be able to show that we can beat teams if we don't get the turnovers.

It's no different like when we turn the ball over (early last season) and we say that we are a better team and should have won that or we say we can win if we can just keep the ball safe.

Whether the turnovers go for you or against you, they hide strengths and weaknesses of a team.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Afrikan:
YUP THAT'S THE ONLY REASON!

I'm used to this....Alex fans discrediting other QBs, just to make Alex look not as bad.......when compared to SuperBowl MVP Aaron Rodgers...or any other QB.

Yup
I know turnovers are a part of the game and this and that but turnovers do hide deficiencies of a team. Look at previous years when we would get those 5-turnover games or in another area, the 5 sack games and we win. Those wins hid a lot of other deficiencies that we could not overcome if we play a team that is mistake free for the game. We still need to be able to show that we can beat teams if we don't get the turnovers.

It's no different like when we turn the ball over (early last season) and we say that we are a better team and should have won that or we say we can win if we can just keep the ball safe.

Whether the turnovers go for you or against you, they hide strengths and weaknesses of a team.

I'll by that somewhat, for now. Like the Ravens in their SB year, their defense was getting the turnovers to masked their awful offense.
Share 49ersWebzone