LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 239 users in the forums

49ers are ranked DEAD LAST in total offense

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The numbers I like come from Footballoutsiders.com. We are rated #1 in special teams and #4 in defense. In offense, #28. Our chances of making the playoffs are 74.7%. I'll take that!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Some things never change.
Originally posted by ClassicNiner:
The numbers I like come from Footballoutsiders.com. We are rated #1 in special teams and #4 in defense. In offense, #28. Our chances of making the playoffs are 74.7%. I'll take that!

our chances are only that high because of our sorry ass division. When we play real teams in the playoffs, we're gonna get slaughtered.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 1stAndGoal49ers:
Originally posted by Allx9er:
somebody please be a smartazz so the mods can this thing down

Why? You afraid Alex might be blamed for being DEAD LAST in total offense?

This.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

our chances are only that high because of our sorry ass division. When we play real teams in the playoffs, we're gonna get slaughtered.
But, I Still Believe!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9MTBQjswQKo
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
This and the reasons we are last IN YARDAGE have been discussed in other threads. If anyone pays attention to Harbaugh and Romans pressers, they would not be shocked by this occurrence. The main reason for this is conservative game planning because the offense is only a month or two old. The line is struggling with the zone blocking scheme, as is Gore. Finally we are 2-1 and have been in every game, it is going to be ugly, but ugly wins are still wins. I suspect as the year progresses we will see more of the playbook.

What is Cam Newton's excuse for setting rookie passing records for the worst team in the league with a defensive head coach and a shortened off season?

And please don't bring up their W/L standings vs us. There is not a GM in the league, including Baalke, that would take Smith over Newton.

Point being, the excuses are getting tired. We have a timid, high % short pass thrower at QB who can produce high passer ratings but minimal TDs or yards. He also can't play in the clutch to save his life. Our D and ST has to bail us out when it's close or we are behind.
Originally posted by Shaj:
This and the reasons we are last IN YARDAGE have been discussed in other threads. If anyone pays attention to Harbaugh and Romans pressers, they would not be shocked by this occurrence. The main reason for this is conservative game planning because the offense is only a month or two old. The line is struggling with the zone blocking scheme, as is Gore. Finally we are 2-1 and have been in every game, it is going to be ugly, but ugly wins are still wins. I suspect as the year progresses we will see more of the playbook.

What is Cam Newton's excuse for setting rookie passing records for the worst team in the league with a defensive head coach and a shortened off season?

And please don't bring up their W/L standings vs us. There is not a GM in the league, including Baalke, that would take Smith over Newton.

Point being, the excuses are getting tired. We have a timid, high % short pass thrower at QB who can produce high passer ratings but minimal TDs or yards. He also can't play in the clutch to save his life. Our D and ST has to bail us out when it's close or we are behind.

That 70+ yard drive toward the end of the Bengals game was pretty clutch.
  • Jiks

Hey Shaj, this is a tough one... When you throw the ball 40+ times, is it more than likely you will have more yardage than throwing the ball 20-30 times? How does that work? I mean Cam threw what 32 times last game? 152 yards...
[ Edited by JiksJuicy on Sep 28, 2011 at 8:26 AM ]
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 52thegreat:

He can be intermittently impressive (and we could have used clutch performance in the Cowboys game). His problems are lack of instinct, accuracy, consistency, on the field leadership, mobility in the pocket, and ability to play in the clutch.

He can do each of those from time to time, but not nearly enough, and not even as much as many rookies in their first NFL game.

HIs positive attributes are that he is book smart, has a great attitude, and has a strong arm, none of which produce results on the field.
anyone got a stat as to how many of Alex Smith's passes are to the running backs/fullbacks? I'm guessing more than half.

Stop crushing our dreams with facts and realistic probability!
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:

Hey Shaj, this is a tough one... When you throw the ball 40+ times, is it more than likely you will have more yardage than throwing the ball 20-30 times? How does that work? I mean Cam threw what 32 times last game? 152 yards...

First you have to look at history: Cam has had 400 yard games (plural) 3 games into his career. Smith has barely cracked 300 yards MAYBE twice in 7 years.

Second, you have to look at WHY Cam is entrusted to throw a lot while Smith is not. Say what you want, but coach after coach has not been willing to entrust Smith to take the team on his back and win through the air. The man cannot even inspire confidence in his own coaching staff. Getting asked to be a "game manager" is the ultimate kiss of death in the NFL. The blunt translation is "just don't f**k it up, okay?".
Originally posted by 52thegreat:

He can be intermittently impressive (and we could have used clutch performance in the Cowboys game). His problems are lack of instinct, accuracy, consistency, on the field leadership, mobility in the pocket, and ability to play in the clutch.

He can do each of those from time to time, but not nearly enough, and not even as much as many rookies in their first NFL game.

HIs positive attributes are that he is book smart, has a great attitude, and has a strong arm, none of which produce results on the field.

I can agree with most in bold except for the following:

Accuracy - This has not been an issue this year. Even with the poor o-line play, he's been poised and pretty accurate.

Field Leadership - This has never been an issue IMO. Teammates love the guy (i.e. VD, Gore, etc.) His "leadership" issues were squashed last year.

Consistency - You have to agree its hard to be consistant when youre getting beat up the whole game. (i.e. Cutler) I'd argue that he's performed pretty well under the circumstances he's been given.
  • Jiks
anyone got a stat as to how many of Alex Smith's passes are to the running backs/fullbacks? I'm guessing more than half.
12-52 receptions
Gore 6
Miller 4
Hunter 2
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
12-52 receptions
Gore 6
Miller 4
Hunter 2

Share 49ersWebzone