LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 298 users in the forums

Why are our 1st, 2nd, & 3rd round picks sitting on the bench?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
If memory serves me, Singletary was a big Mays fan and that was his pick. Last year was the draft of smashmouth linemen for Singletary. This year is the first draft of the Baalke/Harbaugh era and it may turn out to be great or just decent. Kilgore is a surprise, Hunter is better than we thought, and Miller may be a keeper. Those choices were 4th, 5th & 7th. Not bad.

As for the first three rounds they all have potential and may become excellent starters in a year or two. There is never a guarantee but they picked three guys who look decent. CK is doing what Smith should have done his first year--sitting and watching.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Sep 24, 2011 at 9:41 AM ]
Originally posted by Huego:
Kaepernick was a bad pick, i dont like him at all.

2 games is all it takes to call a 2nd round pick a bad pick?
They are on the RayMac lay-away plan.....NIners dont dont want to start them until the last game of the season the year their rookie contracts up. That way we can sign them to a longterm deal on the cheap. Then, WATCH OUT!!!
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by Huego:
Kaepernick was a bad pick, i dont like him at all.

2 games is all it takes to call a 2nd round pick a bad pick?

LOL, 2 games in which he didn't even play.
It's the way he didn't play! Sitting on the bench wrong, walking around in people's way and not very effective watching!
Kyle Wilson on the Jets was one of the best cornerbacks coming out of the draft two years ago and he still isn't starting. OMFG BUST
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
They are breaking them in slowly. Like all good coaches do. WTH are you guys complaining about this. Even Patrick Willis was slowly initiated into the defense with Derek Smith.

How long did it take for Willis to take D. Smith's position?

About 10 mins before he was drafted.
Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:
Kyle Wilson on the Jets was one of the best cornerbacks coming out of the draft two years ago and he still isn't starting. OMFG BUST

He would be starting here....
lock out happpened...no ota's....end of thread...
kyle wilson f**king sucked last year. that is why they lost in the playoffs. he kept getting picked on. no thanks!

You know, I really think that the draft is mostly a crapshoot. You can find highly scouted hyped up busts all over the early rounds and major impact players in the late rounds. Its all about whether or not the guy can make the adjustment to the pro game, learn the playbook, work hard, and not be intimidated. No matter your level of skill, some guys got it and some don't. And as to the points made about rookies starting, between five super bowl teams we got what, a total of 10-15 rookies starting? (That is I believe a very generous estimate, I dont have the patience to check for sure right now.) Sure a rookie will crack the lineup sooner or later on an elite team when an older player begins to lose his stride or someone gets hurt. But as a rule, rookies are usually a liability, a weakness your opponent will exploit, and if you are trying to win right now, you should be very careful with starting rookies. Sometimes it works out flawlessly, but some times it can be a disaster. I personally dont care if any of our rookies get a chance to start this year. I didnt like this draft much, really. As soon as I watched them select Aldon Smith at #7, when they could have gone with Gabbert or a Amakumura (sp.?), I grabbed the bottle of whiskey and started drowning my disappointment immediately.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jimmythegreekjr:
Colin Kaepernick is not playing because is not better than Alex Smith, which says alot. We have not found our QB of the future. Couldn't get Dalton, so just wasted a pick.

No it doesn't. It only says he's a rookie who has been in this offense for two months now.
Originally posted by okdkid:
No it doesn't. It only says he's a rookie who has been in this offense for two months now.

I agree. You know, you guys are so spoiled. Cam Newton, Sam Bradford, Matt Stafford, Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Mark Sanchez. All quarterbacks that started from day 1 and have had success. And some predecessors, Peyton Manning, Drew Bledsoe, and Rick Mirer (though after year 1 he proved to be a bust.) All of those guys are anomalies. Products of teams that seriously dont have a damn thing worth spit other than the rookie they want to start. This recent trend of starting rookie QBs on day one disgusts me a little bit, but it has also been surprisingly effective, None-the-less, just because Kaepernick isnt starting doesnt mean anything, It means he is a rookie who still needs to adjust to the pro game and learn this offense and the team has a more attractive option than any rookie. (barring Newton who is some kind of freak.)
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Right, but how often do you get Lott, Williamson, and Wright in one draft? I'll give you that point, though. It was an amazing draft.

I find it interesting that your examples are good bookends for the dynasty portion of the franchise, '81-'94. It's worth remembering that those bookend years were also rebuilding years, '81 because we sucked eggs, and ''94 because Carmen Policy eventually ran out of wiggle room ;)

You brought up two outstanding examples, but I scarcely believe that you'd want to use them as the rule in your drafting decision matrix.

I used the '88 draft and the Packers this past year as examples as well. In fact, you have to go all the way back to the 2002 Bucs to find a Super Bowl winner that didn't start at least one rookie, and they often started two or three.
Originally posted by susweel:
Because this idiot is calling the shots.

How shocking to see you in here with stuff like this...

Can't wait til you're the GM. I'm sure we'll have 10 superbowls in no time.
Share 49ersWebzone