There are 180 users in the forums

Why are our 1st, 2nd, & 3rd round picks sitting on the bench?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by genus49:
How shocking to see you in here with stuff like this...

Can't wait til you're the GM. I'm sure we'll have 10 superbowls in no time.

I sure wont be giving out washed up injury prone running backs lucertive contract extensions.

or

Sending out mass emails to 31 teams so I could devalue my 2nd round pick from last year.

or

Trading up to draft Anthony Davis when nobody else wanted him.

or

Doing nothing in free agency to upgrade my team.

and much more to come..........
[ Edited by susweel on Sep 24, 2011 at 1:16 PM ]
Originally posted by susweel:
How shocking to see you in here with stuff like this...

Can't wait til you're the GM. I'm sure we'll have 10 superbowls in no time.

I sure wont be giving out washed up injury prone running backs lucertive contract extensions.

or

Sending out mass emails to 31 teams so I could devalue my 2nd round pick from last year.

or

or

Interesting how this business about Davis has spread round here. Out of curiosity, how do you know nobody else wanted him? Or is it just your usual talking down of the Niners draft picks? We were desperate for a tackle , if you recall, and the choice if I remember was him or Bulaga. And there was several negatives on Bulaga.

So talk me through how this was a mistake? Desperate need. Chance of losing out.

Oh yes I was forgetting. Hindsight. His fault for not having it. Right.

or

or

or

Doing nothing is free agency to upgrade my team.

The Cowboys wanted him and so did the Jets, he worked out for 11 teams before the draft. Gore is not washed up, have you been watching the games? The offensive line is playing like s**t right now. You don't think Edwards/Rogers and Whitner are upgrades over what we had? Your whole post is absolute b******t Sus, we are already better off than this time last year, so why are you whining?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by English:
Interesting how this business about Davis has spread round here. Out of curiosity, how do you know nobody else wanted him? Or is it just your usual talking down of the Niners draft picks? We were desperate for a tackle , if you recall, and the choice if I remember was him or Bulaga. And there was several negatives on Bulaga.

So talk me through how this was a mistake? Desperate need. Chance of losing out.

First mistake is drafting for need. You should take the best player available.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
The Cowboys wanted him and so did the Jets, he worked out for 11 teams before the draft. Gore is not washed up, have you been watching the games? The offensive line is playing like s**t right now. You don't think Edwards/Rogers and Whitner are upgrades over what we had? Your whole post is absolute b******t Sus, we are already better off than this time last year, so why are you whining?

The Cowboys had him rated as a third round pick, dont your remember the picture of their draft board.

No I dont think Rodger and Whitner are upgrades, I think they are same as the players they replaced.
[ Edited by susweel on Sep 24, 2011 at 1:30 PM ]
Originally posted by jimmythegreekjr:
Colin Kaepernick is not playing because is not better than Alex Smith, which says alot. We have not found our QB of the future. Couldn't get Dalton, so just wasted a pick.

This is such an ignorant post I'm just amazed at some of you people.

I would be straight up shocked if you know anything about the draft and how these guys looked in college outside of what you read on here by Maddog.

All 3 of the first guys drafted have crazy physical potential but need time to learn the system and then they'll put on a show.

Who are you that you can say they wasted a pick on Colin? You have no clue what Kaepernick is doing at practice and you have no idea how much of the offense he's picking up right now.

Tom Brady was a 4th string qb his rookie year. I'm sure there was some knowitall on the patriots forums saying they threw that pick away as well.

Kurt Warner was a bum who was working as a store clerk at one point before getting his chance to start.

Brett Favre was a wasted pick for Atlanta too huh? Hell he was such a waste they traded him after one year.

I don't know where the idea came from that your first round pick automatically HAS to start instantly. If they're not ready there's no reason to throw them out there. They sign multi year contracts, why have them go out there before they're ready?

We're 2 games into the season...and the three positions we're talking about are a DE converting to OLB and then a QB and CB(arguably the 2 toughest positions to pick up at the NFL level)
Originally posted by English:

First mistake is drafting for need. You should take the best player available.

Easy to say. When the need is as great as ours was, not so easy to do.

or

or

or

I'd love to hear what you WOULD have done. A lot easier to be a GM from your couch. You've trashed every single decision made, when was the last time the team did something your highness actually approved of?
I'd love to hear what you WOULD have done. A lot easier to be a GM from your couch. You've trashed every single decision made, when was the last time the team did something your highness actually approved of?

When they won a Superbowl when he was still in diapers.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

Come on man I ain't that young. I was a senior in high school when we won the super bowl.

Pay attention when #99 gets in the game. Aldon consistently provides outside pressure on opposing QB's. His current downfall is his pass defence. Bottom line, Aldon was drafted to blitz the QB, and for now, he's too one dimentional to be an every down LB.

Kaep is a work in progress. Harbaugh's confident in his ability to groom QB's. Kaep has a strong arm, a fairly quick release and he's very athletic. However, his pocket presence leaves a lot to be desired and he has yet to grasp the intricasies of the offence. For Harbaugh, the challenge is to teach a "Vick-like" QB to become more of a prototypical NFL QB.

Drafting Culliver fills an important need, since the 49ers are thin at CB. However, it's important to keep in mind that he's still a 3rd round prospect. Even 1st rounders sometimes need a year to acclimate themselves to the speed of the NFL. It would have been a marvel if Culliver was able to prove himself enough in the limited preseason to start from day one. That didn't happen and the more likely of outcomes came into fruition. Culliver has talent, but he remains a wait and see type of player, joining the likes of Tarrell Brown and Reggie Smith. Hopefully Culliver developes faster than Brown and Smith.

Hunter (the two time All American) has shown in the preseaon that he can play in this league. Still, he faces the same challenge as every rookie running back, which is learning to pass protect at the NFL level. He has done a good job of that, and as a result has passed Dixon on the depth chart. But Gore is one of the few "every down RB's" in the NFL. Gore can run, catch and pass protect at a high level. The 49ers have run the ball around 25 times a game in the first two weeks and Gore has received a little over 20 carries a game. There simply isn't enough running plays to go around, and most would agree that Gore deserves to be the lead dog in this offence.
[ Edited by doc_brown_ on Sep 24, 2011 at 4:13 PM ]

Pretty sure he is just senile

Also, wasn't it Matt Maiocco who made the article tracking when Aldon Smith was put into the Seahawks game? I read it from here so maybe it was someone here that made it... anyway, I remember seeing that when Aldon was in, the QB didn't throw to his side of the field. Found that really interesting.
Are there any stats on the number of first rounders, by year, who started in the first game of the season? Would be interesting reading.
Still hate the CK pick. Never saw anything in the guy in college and don't see anything even resembling an NFL QB so far.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Still hate the CK pick. Never saw anything in the guy in college and don't see anything even resembling an NFL QB so far.

unfortunately, same here
Share 49ersWebzone