LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 266 users in the forums

Why are our 1st, 2nd, & 3rd round picks sitting on the bench?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I always believed that the first two or three picks should yeild starters!

We have last years #2 traded to the bengals, and this years top 3 picks sitting on the bench, I don't get how Baalke is doing his job or how he even got promoted.
We need a guy like Ozzie (Baltimore) that will go out and draft a guy that he needs regardless of the hype or press. We went out and drafted rather blindly this year when you look at the positions we drafted.

I don't get it, no starters!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Because this idiot is calling the shots.

Aldon Smith is getting more and more playing time.

Kaepernick will not start this year at all barring injury

Kendall Hunter will not start over Gore but will get some touches oops 4th round pick

Culliver will not start because he's not better than rogers, spencer, or brock
[ Edited by sincalfaithful on Sep 23, 2011 at 2:16 PM ]
They are breaking them in slowly. Like all good coaches do. WTH are you guys complaining about this. Even Patrick Willis was slowly initiated into the defense with Derek Smith.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Aldon Smith is getting more and more playing time.

Kaepernick will not start this year at all barring injury

Kendall Hunter will not start over Gore but will get some touches oops 4th round pick

Culliver will not start because he's not better than rogers, spencer, or brock

Why draft a guy in the 1st round that isn't any better than Brooks or Parys?
Why draft a guy in the 3rd that's not better than Rogers spencer or brock?

An even better question would be; how do you have a GM job in the NFL and not know that these guys aren't better than the average guys you already have on the team?
  • THEB
  • Veteran
our 1st round pick is not sitting on the bench. hes played in both of our games so far. i dont know what football team youve been watching but it hasnt been the 49ers.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
They are breaking them in slowly. Like all good coaches do. WTH are you guys complaining about this. Even Patrick Willis was slowly initiated into the defense with Derek Smith.

How long did it take for Willis to take D. Smith's position?
Originally posted by glorydayz:

About two games into the pre-season IIRC
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Sep 23, 2011 at 2:23 PM ]
Originally posted by THEB:
our 1st round pick is not sitting on the bench. hes played in both of our games so far. i dont know what football team youve been watching but it hasnt been the 49ers.

He is subbing in but he isn't in there when we need heat on the QB. He looked good to me last week but he was never in the game except for a few plays here and there.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Willis was starting week 1 of his rookie season. He had 20 tackles in the opener against Arizona in 2007

We have last years #2 traded to the bengals, and this years top 3 picks sitting on the bench, I don't get how Baalke is doing his job or how he even got promoted.
We need a guy like Ozzie (Baltimore) that will go out and draft a guy that he needs regardless of the hype or press. We went out and drafted rather blindly this year when you look at the positions we drafted.

Aldon Smith, Colin Kaepernick, and Chris Culliver were all drafted because they are raw, project players. The thought, which makes sense, is that we have a good coaching staff who could turn these three into very, very good players in a year or two.

No idea if this strategy will pan out though.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

About two games into the pre-season IIRC

Slowly huh,
Originally posted by Wubbie:

Aldon Smith, Colin Kaepernick, and Chris Culliver were all drafted because they are raw, project players. The thought, which makes sense, is that we have a good coaching staff who could turn these three into very, very good players in a year or two.

No idea if this strategy will pan out though.

Okay, and was this not the same thought we had for Taylor Mays?
Why draft a guy in the 1st round that isn't any better than Brooks or Parys?
Why draft a guy in the 3rd that's not better than Rogers spencer or brock?

An even better question would be; how do you have a GM job in the NFL and not know that these guys aren't better than the average guys you already have on the team?

Aldon already looks better than Parys Haralson, the only reason I can see he's not starting is that he's still learning the system, scheme, etc.
2nd round qb's are not expected to start from day one, nor are 3rd round cornerbacks. Those are two of the hardest positions to learn in the NFL.

With a shortened offseason (the defense didn't have a playbook until training camp) it's stupid to expect rookies to come in and learn the system well enough to show what they've got.
Colin Kaepernick is not playing because is not better than Alex Smith, which says alot. We have not found our QB of the future. Couldn't get Dalton, so just wasted a pick.
Share 49ersWebzone