There are 116 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Why are our 1st, 2nd, & 3rd round picks sitting on the bench?

Originally posted by Baugh_Area:
We'll see if he keeps up his hot play this season and if he does he is a rare exception.

Yep. Looking back at recent second round QB's is absolutely disgusting.

Learn, young Kap. Learn.
Our defense isnt much better? Barring the fact that we have played 2 teams without dominating runningbacks, how can you have the #1 ranked run defense and not have a decent defense? Our front 7 is performing quite well all things considered. Its the secondary that presents the liability. And with Spencer and Goldson coming back, things in the secondary shouldnt be quite so ugly. I dont think Aldon Smith is anything special, we need a stronger pass rush, the run defense is fine. As for the draft picks not starting, I support that fully.You shouldnt be starting rookies unless you are truly hurting at a certain position and there are players available that you truly believe can make an immediate impact. Rookies are liabilities, plain and simple. Runningbacks are a dime a dozen so it doesnt matter if you start them or you dont unless the guy is like a top 3 prospect at his position. And really, thats the thing. Unless you are a top 3-5 prospect at your position or your team really has nothing there at that position, a Rookie should not be starting. Atleast not in the first 6 weeks of the season. (unless they prove that they are able to) In the first six weeks of the season trades can be made and there is still some value in the free agent market to fill some holes. After that point, start the rookie if you have to or try to draw a vet out of retirement. And as for Garrard, I personally think that he sucks. He isnt much better than the guy he replaced (when leftwich was in his prime) and he certainly isnt better than the guy leftwich replace before him. (Again, when brunell was in his prime. Or rather at the time Leftwich replaced him)
Originally posted by Baugh_Area:
Aldon already looks better than Parys Haralson, the only reason I can see he's not starting is that he's still learning the system, scheme, etc.
2nd round qb's are not expected to start from day one, nor are 3rd round cornerbacks. Those are two of the hardest positions to learn in the NFL.

With a shortened offseason (the defense didn't have a playbook until training camp) it's stupid to expect rookies to come in and learn the system well enough to show what they've got.
I believe the reason is that he's still learning the backer position. Way different than playing with your hand in the dirt.
  • Huego
  • Veteran
Kaepernick was a bad pick, i dont like him at all.
That much is true. ButI do believe Aldon Smith was a waste. I know he has had limited playing time, but he has yet to impress me. He had a few moments in preseason against backups that gave me cause for hope, but again, preseason and backups. We didnt need him though. I thought the rotation with manny lawson, ahmad brooks, parys haralson, and travis laboy was rather effective. They posted 16.5 sacks plus Willis' 6 and we got 22.5 sacks from our linebackers, which aint too bad, Not amazing by any means but good enough that we shoulda kept lawson and leboy and not waste the number 7 pick on de that were going to convert to an olb.We coulda got gabbert, who i believe will be more effective in jacksonville than smith is in san fran and then use the 2nd round pick on something else.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Willis was starting week 1 of his rookie season. He had 20 tackles in the opener against Arizona in 2007

Damn I want to watch that game again, just to see Willis
Originally posted by glorydayz:
I always believed that the first two or three picks should yeild starters!

We have last years #2 traded to the bengals, and this years top 3 picks sitting on the bench, I don't get how Baalke is doing his job or how he even got promoted.
We need a guy like Ozzie (Baltimore) that will go out and draft a guy that he needs regardless of the hype or press. We went out and drafted rather blindly this year when you look at the positions we drafted.

I don't get it, no starters!

Aldon is basically a starter. Only 3 OLBs.

Kaep is development, if Dalton was here he could very well be starting.

Culliver would play if Brown and Brock werent ahead of him. Spencer is garbage.

Hunter boggles my mind, he was awesome in preseason, play da man.

Mays hurts, mistake pick, should of traded up for Morgan Burnett. Or a CB. Mays was never a SS IMO, more of a OLB or ILB.

It hurts to see many picks not pan out, Manny Lawson, Balmer, and some lower guys like Wallace, Clayton, etc...
I want to see Culliver on the field. Give spencer a week or two, then put Culliver in. Brown should be cut, I can't believe we let philp adams go, and the patriots signed him.
Originally posted by susweel:
Because this idiot is calling the shots.

You mean the idiot that didn't overpay Franklin and Goldson and who had the foresight to give Edwards a ONE year contract because of performance/injury concerns...

BTW, I didn't know Baalke could make guys play or not. So unless Baalke is the both the GM, HC and position coach I'm not quite understanding how this thread makes sense by blaming the GM for not having players he chose play.

IMHO, the argument is a poor reach.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by susweel:
Because this idiot is calling the shots.

You mean the idiot that didn't overpay Franklin and Goldson and who had the foresight to give Edwards a ONE year contract because of performance/injury concerns...

BTW, I didn't know Baalke could make guys play or not. So unless Baalke is the both the GM, HC and position coach I'm not quite understanding how this thread makes sense by blaming the GM for not having players he chose play.

IMHO, the argument is a poor reach.

The idiot who should be credited with upgrading our front seven players by using players we already had on our team and cutting the overrated one-dimensional players.
The idiot who signed Rogers, Whitner and Edwards without gutting our salary cap.
The idiot who signed our franchise running back without the franchise price tag.

He's an "idiot" because RJF inadvertently nicked a field goal inside the uprights with his hand at the end of regulation.
Originally posted by Slackware:
Our defense isnt much better? Barring the fact that we have played 2 teams without dominating runningbacks, how can you have the #1 ranked run defense and not have a decent defense? Our front 7 is performing quite well all things considered. Its the secondary that presents the liability. And with Spencer and Goldson coming back, things in the secondary shouldnt be quite so ugly. I dont think Aldon Smith is anything special, we need a stronger pass rush, the run defense is fine. As for the draft picks not starting, I support that fully.You shouldnt be starting rookies unless you are truly hurting at a certain position and there are players available that you truly believe can make an immediate impact. Rookies are liabilities, plain and simple. Runningbacks are a dime a dozen so it doesnt matter if you start them or you dont unless the guy is like a top 3 prospect at his position. And really, thats the thing. Unless you are a top 3-5 prospect at your position or your team really has nothing there at that position, a Rookie should not be starting. Atleast not in the first 6 weeks of the season. (unless they prove that they are able to) In the first six weeks of the season trades can be made and there is still some value in the free agent market to fill some holes. After that point, start the rookie if you have to or try to draw a vet out of retirement. And as for Garrard, I personally think that he sucks. He isnt much better than the guy he replaced (when leftwich was in his prime) and he certainly isnt better than the guy leftwich replace before him. (Again, when brunell was in his prime. Or rather at the time Leftwich replaced him)

Paragraphs please. That block of words gives me a headache. But to answer one of your questions. We've had a very good run defense for a few years now. But why would teams worry about running when they can so easily pass on us. That's why some don't think we've improved by much.
Originally posted by Huego:
Kaepernick was a bad pick, i dont like him at all.

What do you know?

This just in; he is getting significantly more reps in practice. Look for him to start getting plays if Smith can't get it done..

Just love the arm chair GM who know all..........................
Originally posted by BrianGO:
The idiot who should be credited with upgrading our front seven players by using players we already had on our team and cutting the overrated one-dimensional players.
The idiot who signed Rogers, Whitner and Edwards without gutting our salary cap.
The idiot who signed our franchise running back without the franchise price tag.

He's an "idiot" because RJF inadvertently nicked a field goal inside the uprights with his hand at the end of regulation.

You count Baalke extending Gore to the tune of $13M in guaranteed money as a notch in Baalke's belt? That was a really poorly thought out extension, IMO.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:

You count Baalke extending Gore to the tune of $13M in guaranteed money as a notch in Baalke's belt? That was a really poorly thought out extension, IMO.

Really? Best player currently on offense? Indispensable locker room guy? And certainly a bridge to whatever future we are considering....
Originally posted by LA9erFan:

Poorly thought out? . . . I don't think so. The deal protects the team pretty well.

Per a source with knowledge of the deal, the new money is actually $18.9 million, with the remaining $2.1 million tied to incentives that hinge upon Gore gained more than 1,600 yards rushing and receiving in 2012, 2013, and 2014. Also, the deal gives Gore no new money this year. Instead, $1 million in per-game roster bonuses has been shifted to Gore's base salary.

Of the new money, $8.1 million is tied to Gore being on the active game-day roster, in 64-game increments. If he's on injured reserve or otherwise deactivated, he won't earn the corresponding bonus. Also, the guaranteed money is $12.5 million, but the guarantee is for injury only. Thus, Gore can be cut at any time based on actual or perceived reduction in their skill.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/02/more-details-on-gore-dea/