LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 228 users in the forums

Why are our 1st, 2nd, & 3rd round picks sitting on the bench?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Because Baalke wasn't drafting players who would make immediate impact. He drafted for the future. The only player closest to an impact is Aldon Smith & he's working his way towards more snaps.
Originally posted by firehouse538:
Everyone is on Dalton's jock but the defenses he faced were garbage. Don't expect him to repeat that performance against us. On 49ers central they showed tape on him from last week and he stared down every throw from the snap of the ball. watch us to throw different looks at him and then jump a lot of the throws.

Well at least he is on the field! Cam Newton is on the fiel;d and according to the experts he was the far from ready to step on the field in the NFL. Hell they called him a tight end! Put your young guys out there and let them figure it out!

Ahmad Brooks is playing for gods sake! Last year they said he wasn't ready, now he's the starter?
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by valrod33:
He has played well, he has put pressure on the QB he just hasnt got a sack yet. Demarcus Ware didnt get his first sack until his 3rd game of his rookie year

Good research val.

I wish they would just start Aldon already and let him loose.
Wasn't Aldon picked much higher than Ware?

Aldon was the 7th pick
Ware was the 11th pick

I wouldnt call that much higher

Ware had 8 sacks his rookie year lets how many Aldon gets. Also according to an article I read by MM good pass rushers usually perform pretty good their first year. So lets see if he makes an immediate impact.

More oppertunity would bring some sacks I bet,

He is coming in on passing situations and rushing the passer, i can only remember him dropping back in coverage 1-2 times. All his opportunities he has are rushing the QB. His sacks will come.

I have no problem with the Niners playing Aldon the way they are. I think Aldon will make his impact later in the year
He has played well, he has put pressure on the QB he just hasnt got a sack yet. Demarcus Ware didnt get his first sack until his 3rd game of his rookie year

Good research val.

I wish they would just start Aldon already and let him loose.
Wasn't Aldon picked much higher than Ware?

Aldon was the 7th pick
Ware was the 11th pick

I wouldnt call that much higher

Ware had 8 sacks his rookie year lets how many Aldon gets. Also according to an article I read by MM good pass rushers usually perform pretty good their first year. So lets see if he makes an immediate impact.

More oppertunity would bring some sacks I bet,

He is coming in on passing situations and rushing the passer, i can only remember him dropping back in coverage 1-2 times. All his opportunities he has are rushing the QB. His sacks will come.

I have no problem with the Niners playing Aldon the way they are. I think Aldon will make his impact later in the year

Last week he almost got to the QB, and on the next play 3rd down, he was taken out of the game!
  • THEB
  • Veteran
Aldon SHOULD have 1/2 a sack bacause on one play him and J. Smith hit romo at the same time and the sack was given to Justin.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Everyone is on Dalton's jock but the defenses he faced were garbage. Don't expect him to repeat that performance against us. On 49ers central they showed tape on him from last week and he stared down every throw from the snap of the ball. watch us to throw different looks at him and then jump a lot of the throws.

you're right, but Dalton will have more than 150 yrds this Sunday....
Originally posted by BayStreamin510:
Because Baalke wasn't drafting players who would make immediate impact. He drafted for the future. The only player closest to an impact is Aldon Smith & he's working his way towards more snaps.

We don't have the team for us to draft for the future! So the guys we drafted will be good after three years on the bench? What successful team in the NFL is drafting this way?
Originally posted by fly15:

you're right, but Dalton will have more than 150 yrds this Sunday....

OUCH! that hurts...
Originally posted by BayStreamin510:

We don't have the team for us to draft for the future! So the guys we drafted will be good after three years on the bench? What successful team in the NFL is drafting this way?

You are over exaggerating this. No one is going to keep those guys on the bench for 3 years. Aldon will probably be a starter in the 2nd half of the season. Kaepernick next year will be in competition for the starting job, culliver will challenge for playing time too
  • cgida
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Aldon Smith is getting more and more playing time.

Kaepernick will not start this year at all barring injury

Kendall Hunter will not start over Gore but will get some touches oops 4th round pick

Culliver will not start because he's not better than rogers, spencer, or brock

Here is your answer.

Any questions?

Read harbaugh's transcript today and he pretty much said that kaep's not ready despite more snaps in practice. said hes still working on some of the finer points of being a quarterback.
Originally posted by Baugh_Area:
Why draft a guy in the 1st round that isn't any better than Brooks or Parys?
Why draft a guy in the 3rd that's not better than Rogers spencer or brock?

An even better question would be; how do you have a GM job in the NFL and not know that these guys aren't better than the average guys you already have on the team?

Aldon already looks better than Parys Haralson, the only reason I can see he's not starting is that he's still learning the system, scheme, etc.
2nd round qb's are not expected to start from day one, nor are 3rd round cornerbacks. Those are two of the hardest positions to learn in the NFL.

With a shortened offseason (the defense didn't have a playbook until training camp) it's stupid to expect rookies to come in and learn the system well enough to show what they've got.

We are playinmg against Andy Dalton this week, guess what round he was drafted in?

We'll see if he keeps up his hot play this season and if he does he is a rare exception.
(clears throat) Bruce Miller is starting
You've got to be joking! Its week 2. If it was week 14 and we had a losing record than yeah I would wonder were the rooks were. Aldons already on the field and making a difference. Even if he doesn't get the sacks, its not about his numbers. A good 3/4 D puts pressure on the QB from all over. As a team so far we have been in both games and have applied a ton of pressure and stopped the run. Kaep had no time to learn the system in a short offseason. He had to switch his style and learn a very complicated offense. They tried to get playing time as much as possible. If we had made the trade for Dalton we would have given up more to get him and guaranteed you guys would be crying about how Baelke messed that up as well. The biggest thing for Harbaugh and baelke this year is to find out what talent we have to work with and evaluate what Singletary and Mcloughin left us with. There was no off-season to do that. Baelke has done a good job so far and there's no need to over-react to every article that gets written about Dalton or Cam or the state of the Niners after 2 games.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Aldon Smith is getting more and more playing time.

Kaepernick will not start this year at all barring injury

Kendall Hunter will not start over Gore but will get some touches oops 4th round pick

Culliver will not start because he's not better than rogers, spencer, or brock

Why draft a guy in the 1st round that isn't any better than Brooks or Parys?
Why draft a guy in the 3rd that's not better than Rogers spencer or brock?

An even better question would be; how do you have a GM job in the NFL and not know that these guys aren't better than the average guys you already have on the team?
Wow, thats some incredibly short sided thinking. Why would the Packers draft Aaron Rodgers when they had hall of famer Brett Favre as their QB. Come on, think before you speak. Smith doesn't know all of the coverages yet, but is being integrated more and more. When he's been put in situationally he has flashed. Kapernick is not NFL ready, just like number 1 overall pick Carson Palmer wasn't. They'll get there. Not very many players make the Pro Bowl their first year.
Share 49ersWebzone