There are 121 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Should we trade Vernon Davis?

Should we trade Vernon Davis?

Originally posted by susweel:
I would do it for a pro bowl QB, Pass rusher, or CB.

i agree with sister in niner talk
Originally posted by Joecool:
This is why Alex Smith is always on the hot seat. We are seeing a lot of cover threes where the CB's and one Safety play deep third. Teams blitz off of it and force Alex to make the quick read and dare him to trust the receiver and throw it deep.

Who knows the reason why it's not happening.

Alex should no longer be of concern to anyone. He knows, as does everyone else that he's gone after this year. He was only brought back as a stop-gap. Honestly, I'm concerned about next year because once Smith departs, what do we do at QB? Kaep is clearly not ready to start, and I doubt he will by then. So that leaves us with signing a FA QB (with Smith ironically likely to be the best one available), or we draft another rookie and take our chances.

I'll reserve final judgment until then, but as of right now it's not looking too good.
  • mod
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 29,378
Originally posted by Joecool:
Thanks for posting the highlight. Remember, this is a highlight and here's what I counted.

Hash Seam Routes: 11
Corner Routes: 5
Curls: 2
Rollout: 2
Sideline Nine Route: 1

Hmm, whichever poster said he makes it complicated for defenses is incorrect. If I'm a DC, it is easy to see you take away his Hash Seam Route equates to taking away most of VD.

5 of his touchdowns came with double coverage or more.

If you play a LB on him he beats him with speed
Victims: Ben Leber, James Laurinaitis, Demeco Ryans (x3), Gary Brackett, Clay Matthews, Clint Ingram, Aaron Curry, David Hawthorne,

If you play a DB on him he beats him with size:
Victims: Madieu Williams, Quincy Butler, Jacob Lacey, Jarrett Bush, Adrian Wilson (x2)

Go look at a highlight video of Antonio Gates... yes gates is more fluid and has better hands but he doesnt face nearly the same amount of double coverage as Davis does thanks in large part to Vincent Jackson.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:

I dont know why but that gave me a boner
No, with a caveat. Depends what is offered. From time to time a team will do the most incredible thing like New Orleans giving up almost their whole draft for Ricki Williams. I can't recall exactly what the Vikings gave the Cowboys for Hersal Walker but it was "THE" main thing that got the Cowboys some of their best players that they built thier dynasty on. So, nothing is out of the question.

Talk about Fantasy Football; could you imagine the team who is in last place giving us their 1st pick + future picks! Like a said a Fantasy.
Originally posted by valrod33:
I dont know why but that gave me a boner
WTF?
Originally posted by modninerfan:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Thanks for posting the highlight. Remember, this is a highlight and here's what I counted.

Hash Seam Routes: 11
Corner Routes: 5
Curls: 2
Rollout: 2
Sideline Nine Route: 1

Hmm, whichever poster said he makes it complicated for defenses is incorrect. If I'm a DC, it is easy to see you take away his Hash Seam Route equates to taking away most of VD.

5 of his touchdowns came with double coverage or more.

If you play a LB on him he beats him with speed
Victims: Ben Leber, James Laurinaitis, Demeco Ryans (x3), Gary Brackett, Clay Matthews, Clint Ingram, Aaron Curry, David Hawthorne,

If you play a DB on him he beats him with size:
Victims: Madieu Williams, Quincy Butler, Jacob Lacey, Jarrett Bush, Adrian Wilson (x2)

Go look at a highlight video of Antonio Gates... yes gates is more fluid and has better hands but he doesnt face nearly the same amount of double coverage as Davis does thanks in large part to Vincent Jackson.

I don't know if the bold is true. Most teams highly focus on Gates.

It is not very difficult to take Vernon out of the game: LB under man mostly is able to stay with Vernon on curls and square patters as he is slow out of his break. If Vernon goes deep, LB passes him onto the Safety over the top. It's not complicated to take Vernon out of the game. You say 5 TD passes on double teams with that seam route...in how many years?

Why don't teams double Vernon on shorter routes? Because they don't need to. That alone should tell you he's not as much of a threat as we think.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 26,710
Iranian government *does not* approve

Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
How is it that dallas can design an offense where whitten can torch any defense, or the pats and gronkowski destroy any defense. We have VD who is faster than both (which should make match up problems even more apparent) yet he disappears every game?

I think we all know Vernon sucks at change in direction.

Vernon = the DHB of TE's

lmao what a joke
Well the majority has spoken, please proceed !
This thread seperates the men from the boys in terms of football knowledge.
Baalke could probably get us a 6th rounder for him in the 2118 draft! I say let's do it!
I need a smiley that correctly fits this thread...WTF :facepalm:
Originally posted by Famousoverdose:
I need a smiley that correctly fits this thread...WTF :facepalm: