LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 197 users in the forums

Should we trade Vernon Davis?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Should we trade Vernon Davis?

• Chico
  • Veteran
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,200 for Chico.
I love the potential talent but he has hands of stone and alligator arms. What's the purpose of having a 4.3 speed TE when we just keep him in to block. We are wasting our time and cutting his career short. Delanie Walker would do just as good if not better. Plus, we're paying the dude MILLIONS of dollars as pretty much a small right tackle.

thoughts? suggestions? opinions?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I would do it for a pro bowl QB, Pass rusher, or CB.
Its not his fault we kept him in to block against Dallas. If anythign we need to ket him the f**king ball more
yea, lets get Drew Brady for him.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Its not his fault we kept him in to block against Dallas. If anythign we need to ket him the f**king ball more

No, that doesn't help but the main reason he's only an average TE to me is this:

He can't beat a defense when the defense is focused on him. The top tier TE's in the league get open no matter what for the most part. Whitten did it. Gonzales did it against us last year and does it vs most teams. Gates does also.

These tight ends have success when opponents focus on them.

Vernon, doesn't do much until the defense makes a mistake or the play is well designed.
[ Edited by Joecool on Sep 23, 2011 at 11:13 AM ]
Originally posted by Chico:
I love the potential talent but he has hands of stone and alligator arms. What's the purpose of having a 4.3 speed TE when we just keep him in to block. We are wasting our time and cutting his career short. Delanie Walker would do just as good if not better. Plus, we're paying the dude MILLIONS of dollars as pretty much a small right tackle.

thoughts? suggestions? opinions?

Be patient , you're over reacting. His role will change when the OL finally improves their playand factor in he is getting a great deal of attention by the defense with Edwards out and Crabs not playing. IMVHO
[ Edited by 49ERwhiner on Sep 23, 2011 at 11:41 AM ]
his stiff ass needs to stop pumping iron. Lean out, it'll make you quicker.
WTF.

Every player we have is over-rated according to people on this board. Whether it be Gore, Wills, Justin Smith, VD. s**t, I am just waiting for the Andy Lee is an average punter thread.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Man just imagine VD playing on a team with a real QB and good system he would put up some crazy numbers.
Originally posted by susweel:
Man just imagine VD playing on a team with a real QB and good system he would put up some crazy numbers.

I know right. He'd probably tie the NFL record for TDs by a TE

How is it that dallas can design an offense where whitten can torch any defense, or the pats and gronkowski destroy any defense. We have VD who is faster than both (which should make match up problems even more apparent) yet he disappears every game?
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
How is it that dallas can design an offense where whitten can torch any defense, or the pats and gronkowski destroy any defense. We have VD who is faster than both (which should make match up problems even more apparent) yet he disappears every game?

I think we all know Vernon sucks at change in direction.

Vernon = the DHB of TE's
Originally posted by SportsFan:
WTF.

Every player we have is over-rated according to people on this board. Whether it be Gore, Wills, Justin Smith, VD. s**t, I am just waiting for the Andy Lee is an average punter thread.

It's ridiculous how people are saying such things. Just yesterday everybody loved VD cause he could burn just about anybody and that medium/deep pass over the middle of the field was unstoppable.

Everybody loved Willis cause he smacked Bush and Brad Smith and everyone feared him.

The most ridiculous is Justin Smith...

REALLY!?

Calm your tits Jeeeez
Originally posted by susweel:

No. Out of the top 6 or so TE's, Vernon is the worst on shorter routes. I would say he's not in the top 20 in terms of TE effectiveness to be a safety valve for the QB.
Originally posted by SportsFan:
WTF.

never! Andy Lee can do no wrong. I'd trade Patrick Willis before trading Andy Lee.
Share 49ersWebzone