There are 259 users in the forums

Should we trade Vernon Davis?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Should we trade Vernon Davis?

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by susweel:
Man just imagine VD playing on a team with a real QB and good system he would put up some crazy numbers.

I know right. He'd probably tie the NFL record for TDs by a TE

He's probably destroy that record that he tied.
The one thing that pisses me off the most about Vernon is he tries absorb hits or dodge hits when he's running with the ball. I wish he would lower the shoulder more. Hell, Delanie rocked the DAL DB after catching a screen pass early in the DAL game.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Its not his fault we kept him in to block against Dallas. If anythign we need to ket him the f**king ball more

No, that doesn't help but the main reason he's only an average TE to me is this:

He can't beat a defense when the defense is focused on him. The top tier TE's in the league get open no matter what for the most part. Whitten did it. Gonzales did it against us last year and does it vs most teams. Gates does also.

These tight ends have success when opponents focus on them.

Vernon, doesn't do much until the defense makes a mistake or the play is well designed.

OK I think this is simple if you open you mind alittle bit here. Lets name the top TEs Witten, Gates, Clark, Gonzales, VD
Lets now name there QBs Romo, Rivers, Manning, Ryan, Smith Do you see something that sticks out. We need a qb that can push a ball down the field. Only then will we see the full potental of Vernon.

And yes I know Mannings injured.
The one thing that pisses me off the most about Vernon is he tries absorb hits or dodge hits when he's running with the ball. I wish he would lower the shoulder more. Hell, Delanie rocked the DAL DB after catching a screen pass early in the DAL game.

Agreed! Be physical dammit.
Originally posted by Ohio49ersfan:
Its not his fault we kept him in to block against Dallas. If anythign we need to ket him the f**king ball more

No, that doesn't help but the main reason he's only an average TE to me is this:

He can't beat a defense when the defense is focused on him. The top tier TE's in the league get open no matter what for the most part. Whitten did it. Gonzales did it against us last year and does it vs most teams. Gates does also.

Vernon, doesn't do much until the defense makes a mistake or the play is well designed.

OK I think this is simple if you open you mind alittle bit here. Lets name the top TEs Witten, Gates, Clark, Gonzales, VD
Lets now name there QBs Romo, Rivers, Manning, Ryan, Smith Do you see something that sticks out. We need a qb that can push a ball down the field. Only then will we see the full potental of Vernon.

And yes I know Mannings injured.

I would say the QB but Alex Smith has shown he can get the ball to a check down and there has also been many times when he's thrown the ball to Vernon who wasn't looking or there's been post game quotes saying they weren't on the same page on hot routes and stuff.

Vernon is not a shifty TE and he does not have great start/stop quickness. He is a deep threat that hasn't shown much else...no different than Ginn or DHB. A QB doesn't need a TE like this. The only routes he's been successful on has been the 7 route, deep seam route and the back side slant behind the LB's on rollouts.

That's 3 types of routes he's successful with. Teams shut those off and he's just a big body that takes up space or he's a perpetual "decoy" that we must send deep which leave Alex without his safety valve.
[ Edited by Joecool on Sep 23, 2011 at 11:49 AM ]
Didnt Read, LOL
Vernon's not going to be productive when he is left in the backfield to block. In fact I don't think any tight end would be.

You guys are out of your minds.
Originally posted by SportsFan:
WTF.

Every player we have is over-rated according to people on this board. Whether it be Gore, Wills, Justin Smith, VD. s**t, I am just waiting for the Andy Lee is an average punter thread.

HOMER!!!!!
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Vernon's not going to be productive when he is left in the backfield to block. In fact I don't think any tight end would be.

You guys are out of your minds.

Whitten was left in to block on one play and did so. Romo scrambled to the right and Whitten then simply took 2 steps forward and turned around to be that SAFE for Romo. As Romo scrambled further, he threw a quick dart to Whitten for an 8 yard gain.

Vernon does not have these instincts to see the open spot and settle there.
[ Edited by Joecool on Sep 23, 2011 at 11:53 AM ]
I would trade him if it put us in position to draft a potential franchise qb like Luck

• okdkid
  • Veteran
No. Never. Not for any reason.

Keep the core of our players (even if you think they're less than phenomenal) and find what we need in FA or the draft. Trades have just as high of a bust factor as the draft. Nobody is a sure thing when changing coaches, systems and cities and teammates. If we're going to bust out, I'd rather do it not losing a proven performer.

Really? Your last line is absolutely dumb.
Probowlers eventually carry a team for at least one game or bail that team out for at least one game. Has Vernon ever frustrated a defense and appeared as if he carried us or bailed us out?
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:

Share 49ersWebzone